Hard shell tacos

Does anyone know of a restaurant in Saigon that sells hard shell tacos?  All I've found are soft shell, and I'm yearning for a crunchy hard shell.  I live in Binh Thanh near District 1.

Also, has anyone seen the Old El Paso taco kits at any of the foreign-food stores?  I would take that, too.  Thanks.

I've seen them at the Ham Nghi import stores. Never liked that kind, I'm strictly a soft taco guy.
58 Hàm Nghi, Bến Nghé, Quận 1, Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh, Vietnam

So exciting finding new foreign food treasures at Ham Nghi,
but be prepared for future disappointment when they are out of stock on the next visit.
Still waiting for a divine reappearance of Triscuits, Pace, easy bake cookies ...

paulmsn wrote:

Does anyone know of a restaurant in Saigon that sells hard shell tacos?  All I've found are soft shell, and I'm yearning for a crunchy hard shell.  I live in Binh Thanh near District 1.

Also, has anyone seen the Old El Paso taco kits at any of the foreign-food stores?  I would take that, too.  Thanks.

Simple Place in Thao Dien has hard taco but not traditional corn shell.  It's just a fried flour tortilla.  Good, though. Due to cost to import all of that air and breakage I don't think there will be much along the lines of a traditional hard corn tortilla shell.  Cost would be high for the restaurant.

On a completely unrelated note, I have it on good athourity that Annam Gormet in Thao Dien has large burrito sized tortillas for sale.  I'm going to have to stop by to pick some up.  They do have Pace and other US manufactured salsas as well at that location but again, expensive.  Heck, I saw Campbell's chicken noodle soup, the condensed version from our childhood, for 120,000 for one can.

I've been waiting for dill pickles to come back to the Ham Nghi stores.  I bought a jar of a brand I knew and they were OK, but the next time I went they had another brand which were mushy, then the next time I couldn't find any.  I didn't find hard shells at the right-hand store when I looked a week ago, so next time I will look in the left-hand store.

SteinNebraska wrote:

Simple Place in Thao Dien has hard taco but not traditional corn shell.  It's just a fried flour tortilla.  Good, though. Due to cost to import all of that air and breakage I don't think there will be much along the lines of a traditional hard corn tortilla shell.  Cost would be high for the restaurant.

On a completely unrelated note, I have it on good athourity that Annam Gormet in Thao Dien has large burrito sized tortillas for sale.  I'm going to have to stop by to pick some up.  They do have Pace and other US manufactured salsas as well at that location but again, expensive.  Heck, I saw Campbell's chicken noodle soup, the condensed version from our childhood, for 120,000 for one can.

Thanks for the info.  My friend works not to far from there, so maybe we can go to Simple Place some time.

I did find a restaurant in District 1 than sells double tacos including a home-made hard-shell corn tortilla, but the shell was thick and very greasy, so much so that I found it inedible, and so I just removed the inner corn shell.  That was a real disappointment.

Just wanted to let others know that TacoLeo, 48B Ho Hao Hon, Co Giang Ward ,  District 1, lets you choose hard or soft shell tacos.  They are on foody.vn, so you can order for delivery.  The taco plate I ordered had two chicken tacos, beans, rice and tortilla chips, and cost 104.000.  I also ordered a fresh lemonade for 38.000.  The delivery fee was 25.000 (I live over 4 km away), but I had a coupon code that took 15.000 off.

You can choose the lemon strength and amount of sugar in the lemonade, down to 0% sugar -- 50% turned out pretty decent, and the food, while not terribly authentic to me, was acceptable.  I enjoyed the meal.

I found the Old El Paso crunchy taco shells at Annam Gourmet market on Hai Ba Trung, plus several types of small soft taco tortillas and big burrito tortillas.   They also sell Old El Paso taco spice mix, hot sauce (US hot, so not that hot) and chunky salsa.  I would guess they have them at their other stores.  Everything's pricey there, though.

I can provide you with corn or flour tortillas if you want to cook them yourselves. Just pm me.

If you "misplace" a soft shell taco between the cushions of your sofa, it will have a hard shell when you find it...

ban xeo, ( no filling of course ) fold and let dry for a day