Buying a backpack in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City)

Any recommendations where I can buy a decent backpack/rucksack (vietnamese = ba lô) in Saigon?

I need one for day-to-day use, with laptop carrying compartment and lots of pockets. Had a look online, also in and around Ben Thanh Market. They had the North Face brand. Pretty sure they're not genuine.

Because I use the backpack often, I'd rather go for the real deal. Can spend around 1M-2M dong (40 - 90 USD).

Saw that 'Osprey Packs VietNam' have some deals starting at around 55 USD. Any experience with these backpacks?

Also, where can I purchase a North Face backpack (original)? Any authorized shop where I can go see the merchandise and walk out of the shop if it's not okay. Unlike Ben Thanh market where the sellers come on strong with stories like 'you are the first customer, if you don't buy it's unlucky for us'. (I went there at 3pm. doubt I was the first customer).

A bit late but I bought some gear from fanfan.vn. Have a look at the website for the packs. I went to the store numbered 61/4 in D1 - it is down the laneway on the right.

Every time i came to Benh Thanh Market they said Im the first customer.. Horayyy...

You should go to some shopping mall around Saigon, and you can find any Branded Backpack any brand you want. I have bought a few years ago one backpack brand North face (Fake), But still, I can use it without any damage.

You can get a few name brands in malls, Vincom, Diamond Plaza, Takashimaya, etc.
Or save money and get a fake one much cheaper at Saigon Square. I just avoid Ben Thanh on principal. A backpack is something that you can easily check for quality inside and out. I bought two different ones that way, both solid.
Next time you are in HK, SIN, BKK or the first world you will have a better selection for your dream backpack.

gobot wrote:

You can get a few name brands in malls, Vincom, Diamond Plaza, Takashimaya, etc.
Or save money and get a fake one much cheaper at Saigon Square. I just avoid Ben Thanh on principal. A backpack is something that you can easily check for quality inside and out. I bought two different ones that way, both solid.
Next time you are in HK, SIN, BKK or the first world you will have a better selection for your dream backpack.

Saigon square was the first place I went to. There were some decent rucksacks there. Not famous brands, but seemed pretty solid. Directly opposite (in the corner of the junction), I saw a shopping mall. I think it's called Saigon Centre. On Level 4 they have a Samsonite store. They didn't have much of a range of rucksacks. Only a few specifically for carrying a laptop.

Another store on the same Level or the one below had some rucksacks but they were for kids.

I've never been to Takashimaya, but I believe (from their website) that they have a travel and outdoor section on Level3. Vincom and Diamond, pretty sure I've seen rucksacks and luggage products sold there. Well worth a visit.

Go on the side streets around Ben Thanh market. Most of the stuff is either knockoffs or seconds. Check out the stitching and the zippers to make sure they are solid and if so you can get a durable pack for a great price. I bought one there 2008 traveled for 3 months then in 2010 I went for a year to Nepal, China, and southeast Asia. I am now in Da Nang and it just ripped, I duct tape it and will buy a new one in HCMC when I get back next month. If you inspect them carefully they are a solid buy, but you have to check them.

bought rucksack from shop suggested on post #2 about 3 months ago. Went to their store in backpacker area of D1 (if I remember correctly). They have another store near airport.

If you go to D1 store, you will notice they don't have all the rucksacks listed on website. It's a small store. I picked a jack wolfskin rucksack, this store only had green. However, they phoned the other store and they had black/grey (the colour I preferred). So D1 store asked them to deliver it next day. I just went there next day and picked it up.

Cost was around 500k dong. The staff there are very good. They also sell camping gear and various backpacking related stuff.

Maybe the store near airport will have a wider range of rucksacks.