Acceptance of new SRRV visa applications suspended.

https://scontent.fmnl3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/122232154_444146279889577_8866830987905687980_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=DHe5yGvaf3cAX_w5bM1&_nc_ht=scontent.fmnl3-1.fna&oh=b174638ddee48f3231544da4a27d6466&oe=5FB8ED43

More on the proposed changes to the SRRV program.

MANILA – Tourism chief Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA) board of trustees would move to repeal its current policy allowing foreigners as young as 35 years old to retire in the Philippines.

"I have directed General Manager (Bienvenido) Chy of the PRA to review and change this long-standing policy. We will move for its immediate repeal," she said in a text message.

The board of trustees, chaired by Romulo-Puyat, is expected to meet soon and reassess the said policy. No specific date as regards the meeting, however, has been identified by the agency.

Lawmakers, during the DOT budget hearing on Monday, grilled Chy for accepting retirees as young as 35 years old, most of whom are Chinese nationals.

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1119225 … JD6dLQiUfM

I Can see the cost of the SRRV going up.

I have researched the SRRV options, but I'm just not seeing any savings in processing it. The initial processing fee, plus a frozen deposit in a Philippine bank, then the annual fees.........for me, the annual fee is the same as me getting Tourist Visa Extensions for 1 year.

Gregorio2020 wrote:

I have researched the SRRV options, but I'm just not seeing any savings in processing it. The initial processing fee, plus a frozen deposit in a Philippine bank, then the annual fees.........for me, the annual fee is the same as me getting Tourist Visa Extensions for 1 year.

If I hadn't qualified for the SRRV expanded courtesy with the $10 a year renewal fee.  I would have gone with the 13a.

In normal times it would depend on which type of SRRV you apply for.  It could be a deposit of $1,500 up to $50,000. But that deposit is not really frozen it can be used for some investments such as buying a condo.  The yearly renewal fees can be $10 or $360 but unlike the tourist visa you only have to go renew the card (not the visa) every 3 years instead of every 2 months.  Also with the SRRV, there is no need to exit the country every 3 years.  And if you wish, you are allowed to work with the SRRV.
Married people have a different calculation.

A semi-related question (bearing on the benefits of SRRV vs extending tourist visas):

If I extend my tourist visa for two months, and after a few days go to Bali for a week, is my tourist visa (which still has 6 weeks remaining) still good, or do I have to start all over again?

Obviously moot at the moment but I hope to be able to travel eventually....

Safest thing to do is to phone or go to the BI to get the correct answer.  A couple of considerations would be, do you have an ACR-I card and have you already been in the Philippines for 6 months.  If the total time has been more than 6 months an ECC will be required.  There surely must be a ton of people who have done this before.
The simplest thing is to go the Bali and never return. :)

Soldiers with honorable discharge can get srrv and many soldiers are disabled and retired at 35 so they should be exempt from the retire at 50,55,65 idea. I am 69 but could have accepted retirement at 24 over service caused injury but elected to work as an RN until age 50 civil service retirement.

PRA data said 27,678 or about 40 percent of the total foreign retirees in the country are Chinese nationals. It also showed that Chinese nationals likewise top the list of foreign retirees who belong in the 35- to 49-years-old age bracket.
Senators saw this as a national security concern amid the Philippine's territorial dispute with China, and a possible breach of labor laws for their possible engagement in offshore gambling operations.

“Having 27, 000 Chinese nationals retiring, with the average age of 35, that should be a red flag for our national security…If they are here illegally or through corrupt practices, they are undesirable aliens and should be deported,” Sen. Francis Pangilinan tweeted.

How does the 13a SRRV work? I'm trying to decide which one is best for me 64 year old Veteran but fixed income pension funds not much for investment...

Jazz14mg wrote:

How does the 13a SRRV work? I'm trying to decide which one is best for me 64 year old Veteran but fixed income pension funds not much for investment...

Do you have a Filipina family which is about the only way to get a 13a.  If you are a veteran, you should be able to apply for a cheap SRRV except they have not been accepting new applications since October having to do with some perceived Chinese shenanigans.  No one knows when the ban will be lifted.  In the pas the SRRV was pretty straight forward.  Being a veteran of certain militaries allows for a visa deposit of $1500 and a fee of $1400 plus $10 per year.
Google SRRV for more SRRV information.

FYI for SRRV visa holders and applicants.  I received this email reply from my PRA representative this morning:

"Hi,

We have no updates except that there will be again a new board meeting on the 25th. Those with SRRV will have no problems.
I will post it when I have new updates.
I have clients that can no longer extend the tourist visa and are now are overstaying.  I feel so sad about all of this and we can't do anything. The marketers have written to the president regarding this but has been forwarded to DOT. All I can do is wait till DOT decides to reopen again.

Regards,
Mary Rose"

Thanks for sharing this update with us...

Always difficult and difficult again. While only my opinion I believe the PRA needs to review their SRRV criteria in many areas. The deposit scheme to accomplish a retirement visa is ridiculous. Applicants should be vetted on their commitment to retire here with a minimal or lucrative pension or proof of income, investment status, ie already owning a condominium or long term lease, marriage to a Filipino citizen etc.
I have invested tens of million Pesos here and more to come but I still visit immi every 59 days because I won't lock up US 20K never to be seen again,,,,,, those funds are far better injected into the Philippines economy instead of sitting in a bank where the oligarchy make money and after tax? I get five eights of ****.

While there are those that use and abuse the system the blame squarely lies on the system and lack of credible accountable doctrines, this we have seen. Time for an overhaul and hold true to the statement, "retirement visa". Some of us do retire and want a decent system like, if you have a pension "accountable" why do they need a deposit? Funds that could be injected into this, our new country.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

TeeJay4103 wrote:

FYI : I have clients that can no longer extend the tourist visa and are now are overstaying.  I feel so sad about all of this and we can't do anything. The marketers have written to the president regarding this but has been forwarded to DOT. All I can do is wait till DOT decides to reopen again.
Regards,
Mary Rose

Indeed worrying news....lets hope the DOT does not sit on it & gets this sorted out asap.

bigpearl wrote:

Always difficult and difficult again. While only my opinion I believe the PRA needs to review their SRRV criteria in many areas. The deposit scheme to accomplish a retirement visa is ridiculous. Applicants should be vetted on their commitment to retire here with a minimal or lucrative pension or proof of income, investment status, ie already owning a condominium or long term lease, marriage to a Filipino citizen etc.
I have invested tens of million Pesos here and more to come but I still visit immi every 59 days because I won't lock up US 20K never to be seen again,,,,,, those funds are far better injected into the Philippines economy instead of sitting in a bank where the oligarchy make money and after tax? I get five eights of ****.

While there are those that use and abuse the system the blame squarely lies on the system and lack of credible accountable doctrines, this we have seen. Time for an overhaul and hold true to the statement, "retirement visa". Some of us do retire and want a decent system like, if you have a pension "accountable" why do they need a deposit? Funds that could be injected into this, our new country.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Still a lot better than Thailand or Malaysia.

Yes perhaps in the past Aaron but at the moment the program is on hold for new applicants, what the future brings? Better or worse or maybe nothing at all, I hope for better.

Cheers, Steve.

https://pra.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/ADVISORY-JANUARY-26-2021-1.jpgUpdate from the PRA regarding SRRV visas

https://pra.gov.ph/

So it seems good for existing SRRV recipients but not so good for our Chinese cousins or any one else wishing to avail this previously offered service, no updates or advice for/to genuine retirees. It must be doing a few brain cell farts to sort a simple situation, to the detriment of many and with an obvious inability to update of the services offered and to date not updated/refreshed but all current research offers. Top of the page, google search:  https://tinyurl.com/y6pvwa9j ,,,,,,,, groan.

I'm still waiting for free voicemail here. Why do that when we can charge fools for text msg's that no one answers? Why would we let competition into this country, it will eat into our profits, keep them out.

Fortunately many of us can retire here with a simple visit to immi every 2 months and piss off for a holiday every few years,,,,,,,, 2 years before I need to bugger off.
OMO but the PRA needs to seriously review their protocols for genuine retirees wishing to end their days here, injecting capitol, adding to the population etc.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

I sense that there will be some major changes as this pandemic rages on. My sense is that many FTA's made thus far has just not benefitted the Philippines to move up the development ladder as expected.
Maybe more relaxed/less red taped foreign ownership/investment/srrv policies?...maybe even open up more markets towards more intense competition (sure consumers will benefit)...& mind you China will be in that picture too.
omho.

The PRA was scheduled to have a meeting with regard to policy on January 25th.  The meeting did not take place per an email from my rep. 

Their website does indicate that they are open for business for renewals and related business.

But not accepting new applications for  retired people married to a Filipina?

Jazz14mg wrote:

Not yet.

SRRV visa holders and 9a tourist visa holders with valid visas have good news. This will begin February 16th .

"Holders of valid and existing Special Resident Retiree's Visa and Section 9(A) visas will also be permitted to enter the Philippines “as long as they present an entry exemption document to the Bureau of Immigration upon arrival,” Roque said."

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national … cpage=true

Tanya99 wrote:

I should think about marriage before applying for it))))

Application for SRRV visas are still on hold and you do not need to be married to obtain one.

The country is still not open to tourists unless they have a valid and approved exemption that would allow them to enter the country,   

The Bureau of Immigration lists who is allowed into the country at this time, as well as Philippine consulates around the world.

You say you'd like to move to the Philippines as a freelancer?  Working in the Philippines is a real can of worms.  Some visas allow you to work, though unless you have a very specialized skill that enables you to work in a field with above average pay. You'll be lucky to make enough to live on.

Best regards

TeeJay4103 wrote:

You say you'd like to move to the Philippines as a freelancer?  Working in the Philippines is a real can of worms.  Some visas allow you to work, though unless you have a very specialized skill that enables you to work in a field with above average pay. You'll be lucky to make enough to live on.

Yes IF aiming at Phil, but frilancing can be done in own business. If "export business"  then a foreigner can own whole as long as it don¨t incluse land.. And can work for foreign companies as many Filipinos do too.

(I will keep a Swedish client to be handled from Phils, but I will probably not try to get any new more such by I can have much to do with the production business. If I gewt permit and want to  :)   I have reached retirement age.)

coach53 wrote:
TeeJay4103 wrote:

Yes IF aiming at Phil, but frilancing can be done in own business. If "export business"  then a foreigner can own whole as long as it don¨t incluse land.. And can work for foreign companies as many Filipinos do too.

(I will keep a Swedish client to be handled from Phils, but I will probably not try to get any new more such by I can have much to do with the production business. If I gewt permit and want to  :)   I have reached retirement age.)

Apparently you thought I was talking to you.  I wasn't

TeeJay4103 wrote:
coach53 wrote:
TeeJay4103 wrote:

Yes IF aiming at Phil, but frilancing can be done in own business. If "export business"  then a foreigner can own whole as long as it don¨t include land.. And can work for foreign companies as many Filipinos do too.

(I will keep a Swedish client to be handled from Phils, but I will probably not try to get any new more such by I can have much to do with the production business. If I get permit and want to  :)   I have reached retirement age.)

NOIT aparently, because I wrote to the topic starter, comenting your post   :)     My point was it don't need to be Filipino salaries just because living in Phils, because clients can be in e g the country the expat come from., because there are many jobs, which can be handled through internet.   
E g one expat continue working as some type of shipping agent of international transports, siting at his veranda anywhere in the world :)     Myself I have had such distance asignments since 1989, so long before it became common by internet. (E g  done acounting, journalist, administration,  researches, software developing,  business consulting, and handled juridical cases of the type where there are no meetings in court but all through correspondence and documents...)
Many living in Phils as tourists temporary or permanent continue working for foreign clients same as they did before they got to Phils. It seem Phils officials claim that's illegal  without Phils working permit even for just visiting tourists, which I suppouse tthe just visiting tourists don't even think of can be illegal by they just continue doing same as they do when they are in their home countries.  But mostly they aren't noticed.

An other category are them earning by their youtube channels and/or e-books about life in the Philippines   
One of them told he earned 40 000 USD by his channel 2019.   (That one is some funny because his channel is mainly about earning by their agricultural business, but they don't seem to earn any god by that but by the youtube channel  :)
An other foreigner-Filipina couple told they have more than full time work including filming, editing and checking all coments and emails. Their channels are for aid to poor Filipinos and they have realy done much aid e g building a bunch of houses and support poor students. They got trouble by they hadn't permit for aid. Some jelous people reported them, but  after checking what they do the investigating Police officer said "Good work"   :)   But they have applied and got the permit now.

coach53 wrote:
TeeJay4103 wrote:
coach53 wrote:

Yes IF aiming at Phil, but frilancing can be done in own business. If "export business"  then a foreigner can own whole as long as it don¨t include land.. And can work for foreign companies as many Filipinos do too.

(I will keep a Swedish client to be handled from Phils, but I will probably not try to get any new more such by I can have much to do with the production business. If I get permit and want to  :)   I have reached retirement age.)

NOIT aparently, because I wrote to the topic starter, comenting your post   :)     My point was it don't need to be Filipino salaries just because living in Phils, because clients can be in e g the country the expat come from., because there are many jobs, which can be handled through internet.   
E g one expat continue working as some type of shipping agent of international transports, siting at his veranda anywhere in the world :)     Myself I have had such distance asignments since 1989, so long before it became common by internet. (E g  done acounting, journalist, administration,  researches, software developing,  business consulting, and handled juridical cases of the type where there are no meetings in court but all through correspondence and documents...)
Many living in Phils as tourists temporary or permanent continue working for foreign clients same as they did before they got to Phils. It seem Phils officials claim that's illegal  without Phils working permit even for just visiting tourists, which I suppouse tthe just visiting tourists don't even think of can be illegal by they just continue doing same as they do when they are in their home countries.  But mostly they aren't noticed.

An other category are them earning by their youtube channels and/or e-books about life in the Philippines   
One of them told he earned 40 000 USD by his channel 2019.   (That one is some funny because his channel is mainly about earning by their agricultural business, but they don't seem to earn any god by that but by the youtube channel  :)
An other foreigner-Filipina couple told they have more than full time work including filming, editing and checking all coments and emails. Their channels are for aid to poor Filipinos and they have realy done much aid e g building a bunch of houses and support poor students. They got trouble by they hadn't permit for aid. Some jelous people reported them, but  after checking what they do the investigating Police officer said "Good work"   :)   But they have applied and got the permit now.

Like I said, I wasn't talking to you.  Please, blather on.