Renoucing (U.S.) Citizenship: Anyone Done It?

Good day all.

I was reading recently (can't recall where) that the number of Americans who have renounced their US citizenship is up dramatically from previous years...in fact, as best as I remember, just the first half of this calendar year has seen more than all of last year.

So, I'm curious: have any U.S. citizens gone through that process this year?  If so, why?  If not, did you consider it, and why did you not proceed with it?

Thanks!

The article you were referring to was written by CNN.

The article states:

They are tired of the political climate in the US,

They also leave because of Taxes.

Article claims if the President is re-elected another wave will leave.

Hahahahaha

Too much by way of party politics.
Renouncing citizenship is a valid topic, but political statements are bad news.

Don't do what you can't undo!

Who cares why they did it?  It was their choice if it's true. 

The decision to renounce your U.S. citizenship is not one to be taken lightly and you and you alone should make that decision.

I don't think that I'll be renouncing my chance at Social Security when the time comes. I've got too much invested in there to simply give it all up and walk away.
If SS goes away, then I might consider it but, even then I doubt it.

hmm this a tough one.

Politics aside and beliefs.

Being of British and Chinese descent, 27 years in New York and living mostly on the lower east side/west side, it's predominately African American and Spanish, so yes I sometime sound like I'm talking straight up ghetto. Trying hard not to but it's already been instilled in my DNA, The biggest problem I had in the US was racism, YES Racism. White's saw me as Chinese and when I lived and worked in HK, Chinese saw me as White. Blacks just thought I was confused and Spanish call me Boricua or  Papi. I never felt like I fit in and climbing the corporate ladder where skills isn't really 100% of the reason for a promotion, there has been people with much less talent that got the promotion only because they offered more "favors" or just of same nationality as the higher ups.

Funniest thing is in PH, many Filipino's think I'm pinoy - that's is freggin awesome in my opinion, until I start talking and they are like uh, you not pinoy, you foreigner. I tell them NO, I'm Filipino man !! and they laugh at me.

Can't avoid taxes (and death), but at least in US. The welfare and medical is better than most countries eg; even tho as a tax payer, I hate those free loading a** hats that does nothing and has 5 kids. I know a couple that lives in the projects and one of their son makes 6 figures and bought them a Cadillac, they are still collecting welfare till this day. Maybe trump can deport them somewhere?

being multi-cultural now and opening up my eyes to farther places, there are a few places I may consider relocating to on a more permanent basis. Canada, Australia or Philippines. The jury is still out on this one  (I do have a HK passport tho)

So have I thought about renouncing my citizenship? absolutely. Will I do it? maybe. Today? NO. Will I just give it up on a random decision with no plan of actually residing permanently in one place? That's a dumb move.

having a particular skillset that many countries would like to have helps me on this, which is why I was thinking Canada, I like the cold. Australia cus well, who doesn't like Aussies?  and PH is just so awesome in many different ways.

The culture, the people, the locations (tho I dont travel to some of them). PH has much sights to show you..... (hellraiser tune)

Just my $0.02, your experience may vary.

so in the end, Trump's campaign and his vision for a "greater America" is actually working?

Would be a good idea to become a citizen of another country before renouncing US citizenship, otherwise how can you get a passport to travel.  5,000 people in 6 months is a drop in the bucket, mostly done by people who can afford to buy citizenship in other countries and then pay less taxes in the future because US citizens must pay income taxes on world wide income.  Very few working-class and middle class people get any advantage in doing it.  All it means is more rich people got scared this year.

NdzM5 wrote:

Good day all.

I was reading recently (can't recall where) that the number of Americans who have renounced their US citizenship is up dramatically from previous years...in fact, as best as I remember, just the first half of this calendar year has seen more than all of last year.

So, I'm curious: have any U.S. citizens gone through that process this year?  If so, why?  If not, did you consider it, and why did you not proceed with it?

Thanks!

Not covered how many renounced their citizenship but never left the country.

In 2018, 756,800 persons became naturalized citizens and another 83,000 were denied citizenship.

Now in the US anyone who wants to leave can, compared to other countries.

Some counties if you want to emigrate, you forfeit your assets

mugtech wrote:

Would be a good idea to become a citizen of another country before renouncing US citizenship, otherwise how can you get a passport to travel.  5,000 people in 6 months is a drop in the bucket, mostly done by people who can afford to buy citizenship in other countries and then pay less taxes in the future because US citizens must pay income taxes on world wide income.  Very few working-class and middle class people get any advantage in doing it.

Exactly..

exactly!!