Air pollution in Tbilisi

Is air pollution still an issue in Tbilisi? According to this" target="_blank" rel="nofollow ugc">https://www.georgianjournal.ge/society/ … .html]this article from 2018 situation is alarming. I know that the media loves sensationalism, so how does the air quality affect those of you who live there?

https://www.georgianjournal.ge/images/georgianews/2018/May/society/26a4513.jpg

Can't see the link but I can tell you I've been here for 1 year and had no problem with air quality. Before Tbilisi I was in Kathmandu and Bangkok, now there are some places with air pollution problems! I also go hiking regularly up in the woods around Turtle Lake near where I live in Vake and get even better air. I would not worry about it.

Thanks David!

I'm considering buying an apartment in a project called Park Home, situated between Zurab Avalishvili Street and Chabua Amirejibi Highway, but I've never visited the area. Is there a lot of traffic in that area? Is the area liveable in general?

I can also see on Google Maps that there are developments up in the hills above the city (Tbilisi Hills), is that an area worth checking out?

Welcome, Ice,
Good looking bird, I've been enjoying learning about the different birds that live in the woods nearby. I'm not familiar with that project but I'll find out for you. Up in the hills about the city describes much of the newer construction, the views are better but there are many things to consider besides the obvious construction quality. For me one of the biggies is traffic. Often there is only one access road to the location and this can turn into a parking lot at any time but especially in the evening. I would not want to own one of the new places being built up the street from where I live for this reason. The man who owns the big beautiful apartment on the floor below me wants to sell it because he has so much trouble finding parking. They built this building and 2 others next to it - with NO parking garage. This is one of the odd things about apartments in Georgia; the units do not normally come automatically with parking spots = you have to buy them separately! Maybe you've encountered this before but it's new, and frankly crazy, to me. And typically, I'm told, Georgians do not buy the parking spots. They'd rather save money and park on the street, which has created a parking nightmare. So, something to be aware of. Feel free to add me as a contact and I will get back to you soon, David

DavidB4 wrote:

Often there is only one access road to the location and this can turn into a parking lot at any time but especially in the evening. I would not want to own one of the new places being built up the street from where I live for this reason.

How about Tbilisi Hills Golf & Residences? The compound can be accessed by two roads: one from the Tbilisi Krtsanisi District, and the other on the Rustavi highway. Do you know if these roads are traffic-jammed too?

DavidB4 wrote:

This is one of the odd things about apartments in Georgia; the units do not normally come automatically with parking spots = you have to buy them separately! Maybe you've encountered this before but it's new, and frankly crazy, to me.

This is quite common in Oslo, where I'm from. Here it actually makes some sense since many city dwellers don't own a car nowadays, including me, and it's usually not allowed to park on the street in densely populated areas.

No, I don't know about that complex but that is the best approach I think = find places that have at least 2 access streets. Here they park on the streets even when there are signs saying you can't, and no tickets or towing. Plus often they are blocking the street so that it becomes a one-lane road and then the fun begins: it's like watching a comedy, or game of chicken, as a car comes up the hill and another down and they face off. If one has an obvious place to back into then they back up and let the other by but if there isn't one nearby or another car comes and blocks them from behind then the horns start and sometime they even get out of their cars and start yelling. Never seen it get violent though. I don't have a car so I don't have to deal with it but if you get a place in the hills or even deep in Vake or Saburtalo you will need to get one. Make sure you have a valid driver's license when you come because you can use that here.

"The AQI scale used to assess the safety of the air we breathe outdoors, and once the level of pollutants reaches extremely high levels, it is no longer safe to leave. This means that many residents check the AQI (Air Quality Index) every morning, just like the weather check. There are free apps that can help you do this, some of which work a few days in advance - for example AirVisual or Plume."
https://www.expat.com/fr/expat-mag/3383 … ollue.html

Does MicheParaguay live in Tbilisi? No. I do, and the air is fine.

Hello David,
What measuring instrument did you use ?
What is his confidence interval ?
When was it calibrated ?
How many measurements have you taken ?
From which particles : PM10 ? PM2.5 ? PM0.1 ?
Where ?
When ?
Thank you.
Michel

Are you for real?

On the internet, for several years, there have been many devices allowing to know the air quality.
Either you have used one of these technologies and you have discovered that the air quality is good everywhere and permanently in Georgia, or you trust a natural or legal person who has told you that the quality of the air is good everywhere and permanently in Georgia.

You're funny.

I am not a humorist but a scientist.

"Having two languages (realism and nominalism), the sophist knows how to overcome facts by words and words by facts."
Arnaud-Aaron Upinsky, doctor of philosophy, mathematician, epistemologist and linguist.

"You have to destroy the gravity of your opponents with irony and their irony with gravity."
Gorgias