TEFL Online Training

Hello All,

Can anyone give me any insight into the best or at least one of the best TEFL companies to use.  I have tried to do some online research, but it's hard to believe any of the sources as they all appear to be paid by the schools or companies running the training.  Of if I can just get some of the names that are respected and used by the schools that hire.  Thanks in advance, Bobby

It is more restricted then it once was! Most SE Asian countries now require a BA or BS. There are many expats out there teaching so you should get some responses! Switch to the VN expat.com page and try looking in jobs page and while there apply through the jobs needed page! Should help! VN is looking for a lot of TEFL trained people!

Check out the classes taught at the University of San Francisco or San Francisco State {I forget which} by a highly respected professor there.  The courses are given online and available through a number of other colleges as online courses under contract with the host school.

It is considered as the most credible course for teaching ESL and the TEFL or TESOL certificate is awarded by the University itself... which gives it much more impact on future employers.

If I recall the course was available for around $80 U.S.   {don't quote me on that}

Good luck.

thailandbound wrote:

Check out the classes taught at the University of San Francisco or San Francisco State {I forget which} by a highly respected professor there.  The courses are given online and available through a number of other colleges as online courses under contract with the host school.

It is considered as the most credible course for teaching ESL and the TEFL or TESOL certificate is awarded by the University itself... which gives it much more impact on future employers.

If I recall the course was available for around $80 U.S.   {don't quote me on that}

Good luck.

SFS is the school! Great school! But unless you have a college degree you are very limited in the job market!
In Thailand, you're qualified to teach English if you're a native speaker and have a degree from a four-year university, plus a TEFL or TESOL certificate. Many schools prefer previous experience, but it's not essential. A master's degree, preferably in education, is compulsory to teach at the university level.
Same for China and Japan! So be aware of the pitfalls and promises that will not pan out with just a TEFL! You can secure a job with a rich private party but be sure you have the job first!

Correct about the degree requirement.  Also, your age is important.  Over 60 and you are out of luck in most Asian countries.

Thank you for the insight and delay in responding.  Well I just turned 60 in March so there would be no reason to get certified you4 saying?  I do have have a BA in Finance and over 35 years at a senior level position in the banking industry.  I just want to teach part time, have taught a few classes over the years, not many, just thought it might be worth teaching as a side job to some local kids.  Really do not want to get a full time job doing it, that's why I am retiring (laugh).

But you say it's not worth it at my age?   Thanks again.

Hi, Bob...

The best way to confirm the age limits is to contact the regulatory body for educational licensing in the country you wish to work in. 

My 60 limit was based on my own inquiry in China.  I communicated directly with the head of the China agency which governs such policies and, after a long congenial conversation praising my qualifications, and offering to send me a list of school directors who had hiring responsibilities, she casually mentioned the age limits.  My balloon of enthusiasm was burst immediately.  :-) 

I have since heard from several ex-pat forums around Asia that the age limit is pretty standard throughout Asia.   I am aware that many other countries in Europe, Africa, and the Middle East have a wider age range.

By the way, I am aware of several Farangs who seem to have gotten around all the bureaucracy by simply offering to tutor students privately.  Whether or not that would be an option I cannot confirm or deny. 

Whatever you choose to do, I hope you enjoy your retirement in Thailand and wish you the best of luck moving forward.

Hi guys
My g/f went to TEFL classes in Manila and got her Certificate as well as two weeks in classroom as teacher! It was well worth the extra expense for classroom instruction! The interaction alone with others taking the class proved priceless! What we did was set her up with online business as a private tutor and it is the best paying option by far! Especially with China and Viet Nam

The private tutor approach with a good website is a great option.  I was not smart enough to think of that at the time or I would probably have done so. 

One of the things I did pick up that might help ... the teaching of 'Business English' is in very high demand and is often paid for by businesses who are upgrading their staff skillsets.  Part of the conversation with the Chinese educator was her urging that I focus on teaching English-for-Business because the demand and needs were so high. 

Thinking back at that I believe that going the private tutor direction would probably have been very profitable.  That can also be taught to younger students of affluent parents trying to upgrade their children's chances of getting into better colleges or being more competitive in a job search.

In this approach to the market... a great interactive website and professional collateral materials would pay off handsomely. 

I hope this helps...

~ Thom Reece
[moderated]

Thank you sir, great advice.  Hope all is well.  Bobby

Great information Thom, that's perfect.  Appreciate you taking the time.  Hope all is well. 

Bobby

Again, thank you Thom.  Great info, and I thought we were always taught we got better with age...laugh

Stay Safe,

Bobby

I kid myself about getting better with age... then I look in the mirror and see my grandfather staring back at me.  :-)