Christmas fish markets

In view of the fact that current Covid-19 pandemic has originated from wet markets in Wuhan, China where live animals are sold to be slaughtered and gutted on the spot after purchase, would you think that Czech Republic should rethink its tradition of Christmas fish sellers?

For those who have never been in the country during Christmas period, open fish tanks are placed in many street corners where sellers offer live carp to their customers. Once the fish is selected and purchase is complete, the seller kills and guts the fish and hands it to the customer.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Assuming the original source of COVID-19 came from an animal source, the transmission from animal to human has already occurred and none of the current European incidents has been related to animal contact, but from human to human contact.  So you stand a better chance of catching the virus from who you are stood next to, not the fish in the tank.  Many national governments are banning all public gatherings of >500 people, so the markets may become a victim by this standard.

Just my opinion.

Cynic
Expat Team

I wasn't of course talking about "this" virus. A virus got transferred from animals to humans through a live animal market and another can be transferred in the same way.

Hi again.

It's certainly happened before; salmonella and ebola were both what they described as zoonoses viruses (like COVID-19) and originally transferred from animal to humans.  I guess it will take a political imperative to make world governments sit up and take notice - perhaps this will be the one.  I was involved in a regulatory aspect for ebola, there was never any discussion related to animal market places.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

I think and i hope by Christmas COVID-19 will be contained and eradicated by then.

Wishful thinking, I'm afraid, this virus is going to be with us for some time yet.....