Best cities to live in Czech Republic

Hi,

It's not always easy to decide in which area to settle in when moving to the Czech Republic. According to you, what are the best cites to live in?

Which regions offer most of the job opportunities, a good quality of life, an affordable cost of living?

Share with us the cities you would recommend to expats and soon-to-be expats in Czech Republic.

Thank you in advance,

Julien

Hi,

I have to throw a smaller city in the hat - Lovosice.  I don't actually live there, but have lived the better part of a decade in a tiny village 15km west of there, but here's what I like about Lovosice and why I'd consider moving there if I wanted to live in an actual city.

- It's right off the D8, about 45 minutes from Prague so commuting by car is reasonable if you work in the city.
- It's 30 minutes from Usti nad Labem to the north which is a very large city and the regional seat of Ustecky Kraj, and just 15 minutes from Litomerice which is a medium sized city to the east on the other side of the Labe.  It's just over an hour drive from Dresden if you feel the itch to spend the day in Germany.  Be sure to stop in Pirna on the way and to to Real Market if you want a "Costco like" shopping experience, a huuuuge store with cheap prices.
- Lovosice itself is small, probably 10-15k people, but large enough to have sports clubs, nice restaurants and pubs, a 4-star hotel (I've stayed at Hotel Lev, highly recommended), coffee shops, and smaller stores (you won't find Tesco here but Penny, Lidl and Billa), plus a nice selection of local cukrarna, pekarna, etc.  For nearby big box shopping, there is an Albert Hypermarket in Litomerice, and Makro and Globus in Usti.
- It's right on the Labe river with a big, beautiful central park that hosts summer concerts, boasts miles and miles of walking/biking trails and is near several very good wineries, as well as being close to the Bohemian countryside.  There is a yacht club and boat launch for the Labe if you're into that sort of thing.  They also have a nice ice rink and municipal pool as well as a N-S transit hub for trains and busses.  In short, there is a ton to do and it has many of the accoutrements of a much larger city, but without the crime, traffic and problems of larger cities.
- There is no university (there is one in Usti) but there is a Gymnasium (high school) and many smaller primary schools.  The Lovosice school district continually wins awards for its upper crust education standards.  My oldest son goes there and loves it.
- Because of its small size, it's *much* cheaper than Prague.  Family houses are hard to find unless you build something new but flats are 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of comparable flats in Prague.  Alternately, look outside the city if you have a car.  My wife and I built our house in a small insignificant village because land is cheap and we got so much more house for the money here.  We make the quick trip to Lovosice for shopping but if you don't have a car, you'll be fine in Lovosice as everything is within walking distance and an Elefant train can get you to Prague's center in about 30 minutes.
- As for jobs, I'd say it's harder to find work there than in Prague as would be expected from any smaller city, and you'd almost certainly need to have a solid grasp on the Czech language and a marketable skill - moreso than in Prague - but if you are self-employed or work in Prague or Usti, Lovosice gives you a transit-friendly location with far cheaper cost of living than actually living in the city, and puts you square in the Bohemian highlands; some of the most beautiful countryside in the Czech Republic.