The other side of the Czech postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in Czech Republic, how would you describe the two sides of your Czech postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

hello,

Czech Postcard? what i that sorry just new in this website and, i just leave here in czech for 1 year now

Two sides of my Czech postcard.....

The good:

The Czech Republic is a compact country with lots of things to see which are mostly easy to access through the well organised and developed rail and bus transport networks.

The pace of life is also a bit more relaxed than what I was used to in my native Canada.

The bad:

Pessimism is a notable aspect of the Czech national psyche and Czechs tend to complain a lot but not do much about the things that bother them.

Learning the Czech language is increadibly challenging.

I do not live in Czech Republic at the moment but I did spend a summer there which is why I want to move there when I retire.  The other side of the postcard---I will explain my experience.  I made it a point to learn some Czech but of course you cannot learn it all in a short amount of time  I booked a day trip to Karlova Vary and it was beautiful, however, when I printed  out my agenda , i.e. bus times home, etc. I printed it out in English.  I have learned to make sure you print out anything you cannot say in the native language in Czech and in my case, Russian (rusky is spoken in Karlova Vary).  I ended up having a very harrowing experience due to my ignorance but it all turned out o.k. in the end.  It's now an amusing story to be told to others.  :> 

Do not assume that people in the Czech Republic speak English.  Younger folks probably do, but older folks do not.  And of course, we are in THEIR country after all.  :>