Common misconceptions and clichés about life in Czech Republic

Hello everyone,

Old clichés die hard, as the saying goes... and living in Czech Republic can generate lots of misconceptions in the eyes of the people.

What are the most common misconceptions about the expat lifestyle in Czech Republic?

What are the most common clichés about life in Czech Republic in general?

Did you have a biased view of the country before moving there? What is you view now?

Thanks in advance,

Priscilla

One of the enduring stereotypes about Czechs is that they all love beer.

I've met quite a lot who didn't care for it at all or drank only a very little.  In the south east, where I am, wine can often be more popular than beer.

One of the things i was scared of before coming here was racism but having lived in Cz for almost 4years i realized that there are still so many people who are quite happy to meet foreigners..

One of the biggest is that people actually think CZE is inhabited by Czechs only. There are 3 regions like in Britain. Bohemia - Czechs, Moravia - Moravians, Silesia- Silesians. All of them are nice people, but u will find there is plenty racist people like in any other eastern European country. Good luck and enjoy the place...

Good to hear solomon,I guess it's better in bigger cities with universities and young people around... in Brno it became quickly quite cosmopolitan, I met a lot of Erasmus students from Spain and other countries in past decade and increasing number of employed ones as well. A lot of companies are eager to hire now.