Medication in Morocco

Good morning everyone,

Whether it's a simple cold or a chronic illness, medication and medicine use vary from country to country and culture to culture.

When you are used to certain brands or types of drugs, being in a country like Morocco with different rules can affect your daily well-being.

Some drugs also differ in name, price, dosage, active molecule, so we would like to hear your opinion on these issues:

Have you ever had difficulties finding familiar or useful medicines for your health in your host country?

Have you ever been faced with a shortage of medicines in Morocco?

Would you have said that in Morocco drugs are more or less expensive than in your home country? Do you find them more or less effective or of similar quality?

What is the place of alternative medicines in your host country? Have you ever used them?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

Hi there,

I am an American who held residency status in Morocco for two years. My employer paid the CNSS (public insurance) fee monthly, for which I was reimbursed 70% of all medical fees (e.g., medication, appointments, blood tests) after submitting the required paperwork to the CNSS office. I was initially worried as I have a few chronic health conditions for which I take medications daily, some in high doses. I am happy to answer your questions as I know the anxiety than can arise from not knowing what to expect :)

Have you ever had difficulties finding familiar or useful medicines for your health in your host country?

The ultimate answer is no, there were no difficulties. The only issue I came across was that Morocco does not carry brand medications, specifically for epilepsy (I am not sure about others). Consequently, I switched to generic. This did not pose any problems as it is equally effective, however, it did affect how I took my doses. There were no difficulties with any of my other medications, including birth control.

Have you ever been faced with a shortage of medicines in Morocco?
No. My local doctor supplied me with prescriptions for three months' worth of medication, and the pharmacist always had it ready for pickup either by the next day or within the week. I ordered contacts from an optician once, which took a couple weeks as there is a longer delivery process, but they conveniently delivered them to me directly.

Would you have said that in Morocco drugs are more or less expensive than in your home country? Do you find them more or less effective or of similar quality?
As an American, the medication I purchased in Morocco is less expensive to an extreme degree. Notably, if you are covered by CNSS, you must pay the full amount upfront for any medical service, and will then be reimbursed after submitting the paperwork (includes receipts, doctor signatures, etc.). For reference, WITH insurance in the U.S., I paid roughly $630 for three months of medication whereas in Morocco paying upfront (PRIOR to reimbursement of 70%), I paid about $700. The quality of the medication is the same that you would find elsewhere. I am currently living in England and the medication I receive here is the same I received in Morocco.

What is the place of alternative medicines in your host country? Have you ever used them?
(I do not have any experience with this)

I hope this helps!

I, too, am an American.  I don't usually buy my meds here in Morocco, because I cannot obtain several of them.  My mother has to send me some.  Anyway, one of my blood pressure meds is not available, nor is one of my allergy drugs, or antidepressants. Another of my blood pressure drugs is available. I'm not sure about my other asthma meds, as I haven't checked on them.

It might be a problem only with where in Morocco I live, as I am in the Southeast, away from large cities.

Price-wise, though, no comparison.  The US is notorious for astronomical drug prices.  Very cheap here.   

I haven't used alternative medicine, except for local healers for sprains and things. Oh and, cold and flu remedies.  Traditional herbs, etc.

Luckily all my medicines are available to me in Morocco, However I do live in Harhoura so on the outskirts of Rabat. Price wise it is unbelievably inexpensive compared to the US. Even when I had my Medicare prescription plan. I have found Morocco much cheaper.

Good for you Herb's can work wonders

Hi when I  travelled to Morocco I bring my own medication with  my GP letters and I show this letter though the custom officer
To get the approval it's fine I've had no problem so far

Hi Love Vicki,
Yes, that works, but not when you're here for months or years at a time.

I came over to Morocco for 3months and had3 months supply 
Went back to NZ and stayed for 1 month and returned back to Morocco view Australia and with another 3 months of my medication

I went to the pharmacy in the city of Fezjust to ask about one of mymeds  and found out that they did have it but at a higher price??

In saying this I get my medication sent to me if I plan on staying for a year. But depends

Hello,
I had questions on how your mother sends you the medication through the mail? Does she use postal or fedex and is there certain papers I need to feel out. Thanks for all your help,
Rema

Postal.  Um, doesn't mention it.

Thank you

Its sent by postal service with ID on pick up

Hi your medication is more then In my country
For me coming back to. Morocco i take health insurance i not travel unless i have this in place