Coronavirus update websites

lasvegan wrote:

I guess i know why i can't find a N95 face mask

None of my neighbours seem to even know/bother about the seriousness of this current viral outbreak, some don't even have proper soap / clean running water to wash their own hands, let alone N95 masks.

:mad:

lasvegan wrote:

Yep,  the respirator's and  surgical masks were all purchased in Australia, over a 4 week period just after Christmas.

Over the last 7 years, I have never seen a N95 respirator here in the Philippines.  Even if they did sell them i don't think that they would know what a face fit test is, which as we know is a primary part of wearing a respirator, other wise you may just as well wear a face mask.

manwonder wrote:
lasvegan wrote:

None of my neighbours seem to even know/bother about the seriousness of this current viral outbreak, some don't even have proper soap / clean running water to wash their own hands, let alone N95 masks.

:mad:

And they would have no idea what a face fit test is if they did have them, sad but true.

lasvegan wrote:

You don't need one unless you are sick. If you are not sick and use one it may increase the risk that you become sick. Health orgs emphasize "properly fit" and utilized masks can reduce exposure, but in reality hardly anyone can adhere to what is required to make that happen. You just end up with a nasty bug trap on your face and virus all over your hands and face.

I went to Robinson's mall today and they were checking temps at the entrance. If you have a fever you don't get in. It was also busier than usual. No panic just busy.

i just heard today that the not letting cars pass from certain Provinces into Manila which have to pass via SCTEX AND NLEX. Is this correct?

birdshit wrote:

i just heard today that the not letting cars pass from certain Provinces into Manila which have to pass via SCTEX AND NLEX. Is this correct?

all kinds of crazy rumors

My wife heard that people are being told to call the police on people who seem sick, but don't go to the hospital.

But some of those rumors could turn out to be true.

yeah who knows, i think just wait and see

a lot of money moving around :whistle:

Chances are that if you are wearing a mask that you are not using or wearing it correctly.

One illustration:

N95 respirators should be worn for a maximum of eight hours and should be replaced regularly.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/EPO/Pa … -FAQs.aspx

The mask must be changed every 8 hours at a minimum.

Consider the investment you will make in something that you probably do not need and which is doing you no good.

And chances are also that you do not need to wear a mask at all

Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS!
They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can't get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!

https://t.co/UxZRwxxKL9 U.S. Surgeon General (@Surgeon_General) February 29, 2020

• If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected #coronavirus infection.
• Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing

World Health Organization (WHO) (@WHO) March 1, 2020

Today I made a small contribution towards the overall fight against 'Covid 19'.
Sabang Elementary School (Surigao) is a short walking distance from my home, as I was using my Gasoline Lawn Mower to trim my grass I just walked over
(Yup I looked like Rambo l!) and just mowed the school's outer grass patch  (real messy) & also passed a few gallons of liquid soap to the caretaker and told him to distribute it to the kids so they can use it to wash their hands properly after using the toilets....He may have thought I was mad & gave me a sheepish smile!

And where was Tonto when you were saving a little part of our world.....or was it Pancho??......maybe Pense!!!!

oops! Pence....lol

https://time.com/5791661/who-coronaviru … claration/

Not looking too good.

Cheers, Steve.

look at the numbers in Italy
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Comparing deaths to recovered in the total resolved cases you are almost as likely to die from it as you are to recover from it. According to those numbers, if the entire population of Italy got the virus 27 million would die from it. By population Italy far worse off than even China. This assumes that those affected so far are representative of the wider population and that the virus does not weaken.

There are two strains of the virus and it looks like Italy got the bad one.

Philippine Destiny wrote:

Comparing deaths to recovered in the total resolved cases you are almost as likely to die from it as you are to recover from it. According to those numbers, if the entire population of Italy got the virus 27 million would die from it. By population Italy far worse off than even China. This assumes that those affected so far are representative of the wider population and that the virus does not weaken.

Italy has the highest ratio of elderly & so has had a death rate of 6%. 94% recovery.

I'm jumping on a plane from Brisbane back to Manila on Saturday, fingers crossed. No masks or hand sanitisers, even toilet paper cannot be found.

Cheers, Steve.

Oursus wrote:

Italy has the highest ratio of elderly & so has had a death rate of 6%. 94% recovery.

You are right

Many of Italy's deaths have been among people in their 80s, and 90s, a population known to be more susceptible to severe complications from COVID-19, according to The Local.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti … -in-italy/

There could be huge numbers of younger people in Italy who have it, but are not getting sick enough to worry about it.

But when you look at the numbers for closed cases: 1045 recovered v 827 dead

That is not anywhere close to a 94% recovery rate. It is more like a 56% recovery rate. The % is determined from closed cases not total cases. The active cases may recover at higher rates bringing the overall recovery rate higher.

Polish vodka with its high alcohol content (96%) is being used at a time when alcohol disinfectants are selling out amid the spread of the coronavirus!

*Not sure about the actual facts of this statemement!

manwonder wrote:

Polish vodka with its high alcohol content (96%) is being used at a time when alcohol disinfectants are selling out amid the spread of the coronavirus!

have you seen any Everclear for sale here?

there is a 190 proof variant

manwonder wrote:

Have not really gone looking around here for the USA Everclear 190 proof version you've mentioned.
Here we still have loads of 'Alcohol Hand Sanitizers' available in our local department stores (jus checked yesterday...no mad rush here as yet!),
I managed to purchase a box of the local 'tanduay' (long neck), though only 80% proof serves its purpose pretty well!

:D

manwonder wrote:
manwonder wrote:

Have not really gone looking around here for the USA Everclear 190 proof version you've mentioned.
Here we still have loads of 'Alcohol Hand Sanitizers' available in our local department stores (jus checked yesterday...no mad rush here as yet!),
I managed to purchase a box of the local 'tanduay' (long neck), though only 80% proof serves its purpose pretty well!

don't wash your hands with it  :D[

bigpearl wrote:

I'm jumping on a plane from Brisbane back to Manila on Saturday, fingers crossed. No masks or hand sanitisers, even toilet paper cannot be found.

Cheers, Steve.

You will be OK mate, Philippine Destiny comments says that we shouldn't be using masks, if you are well.   That the are only for the sick people to use.

You know how it is in the province, when you get on a crowded bus and you see that it is only the sick people wearing the mask's as instructed by the general surgeon of the US.

In the end, it is coming, the speed at which it comes and the ability for the hospital to manage the infected Pt is the concern.  Some hospital's around that world have already made calls that they will not treat people who have the Virus and are elderly or have some form of medical condition that makes them already weak and have a high chance of death with the addition of the Convid19.

Australia government federal work places are planning on a best case scenario of absenteeism with COIVD19 of 20%, worst case 80%.  Another scientist is more conservative and said 40% to 70% will get the virus.

Have a good flight mate, enjoy Manila.

"May the force be with you!"

I just came in on the tale end of the address, but it sounded like Trump just said all travel USA to Europe banned for next 30 days.

I just came in on the tale end of the address, but it sounded like Trump just said all travel USA to Europe banned for next 30 days.

Europe to USA, just no people but goods can come.  Not sure how the goods gonna come to the USA without people.  Drones?  Ships docking but no one leaving the ship?

mugtech wrote:

Europe to USA, just no people but goods can come.  Not sure how the goods gonna come to the USA without people.  Drones?  Ships docking but no one leaving the ship?

maybe they will be shipped on missiles

That makes no sense.  Those are the only people who really  need treatment.

AaronAardvark wrote:

That makes no sense.  Those are the only people who really  need treatment.

"That makes no sense."

you hit the nail on the head

"For everything a man does he has two reasons."

finish the quote

Can you let me know how you go. I supposed to fly out of Sydney to Manila next week. Let me know if any issues in Manila

pej1111 wrote:
bigpearl wrote:

Cheers, Steve.

You will be OK mate, Philippine Destiny comments says that we shouldn't be using masks, if you are well.   That the are only for the sick people to use.

You know how it is in the province, when you get on a crowded bus and you see that it is only the sick people wearing the mask's as instructed by the general surgeon of the US.

In the end, it is coming, the speed at which it comes and the ability for the hospital to manage the infected Pt is the concern.  Some hospital's around that world have already made calls that they will not treat people who have the Virus and are elderly or have some form of medical condition that makes them already weak and have a high chance of death with the addition of the Convid19.

Australia government federal work places are planning on a best case scenario of absenteeism with COIVD19 of 20%, worst case 80%.  Another scientist is more conservative and said 40% to 70% will get the virus.

Yes agree pej, most wear face masks when they are sick,,,,, respect, pity that doesn't happen in other countries. China yes. Manila only 2 days then back to the house up north to weather the oncoming storm, ride out the economic downturn (yes it will turn) and hopefully stay fit, well and healthy and in the interim purchase basic necessities and not a cupboard full of toilet paper that has little use.

Yes pej I will be fine but many won't be and while all need to be vigilant, not panic.

Cheers, Steve.

pej1111 wrote:
bigpearl wrote:

Cheers, Steve.

It is not just the Surgeon General of the USA. It is the WHO, but your lack of reading comprehension did not allow you to see that part. You wearing a mask is not going to protect you from catching the virus from someone who is not. What ever they cough or sneeze will end up all over you not just on the mask you are wearing. And the mask will be covered in it as well and you will be touching that too. So you will be covered head to toe in whatever you are trying to protect yourself from.

But you go ahead and buy up all the masks so medical personnel (who wear the masks in conjunction with a full suit so it actually makes sense and works) cannot have any even though all available data shows that it will do you no good if that makes you feel safe.

And all available data also shows that those most at risk are the old and those with certain preexisting conditions. But you spend your time being afraid of your shadow if that is what you like to do.

Pej1111, this is just for you.

In addition to the US Surgeon general and the Who, now the DOH of the Philippines is stating not to wear a mask if you are not sick.

18. Do I need a mask to protect myself against COVID-19?

No. People with no respiratory signs and symptoms do not need to wear a medical mask. DOH recommends the use of medical masks only for the following:

For people who are presenting with symptoms of COVID-19;

Those caring for individuals who have symptoms such as cough and fever, and

Health workers.

DOH, together with WHO, advises the rational use of medical masks to avoid unnecessary wastage of vital resources and mis-use of masks.

The most effective ways to protect yourself and others against COVID-19 are to frequently clean or wash your hands, cover your cough with a tissue or the bend of the elbow, and maintain a distance of at least one meter from people who are coughing or sneezing. (For more information, see Section on protective and preventive measures).

"DOH, together with WHO, advises the rational use of medical masks to avoid unnecessary wastage of vital resources and mis-use of masks. "
https://www.doh.gov.ph/node/19947

But since you seem to know more than the DOH please share your knowledge with the rest of us. And since not everyone here is fluent in passive aggressive sarcasm please use plain language when you let us know.

pej1111 wrote:
bigpearl wrote:

Cheers, Steve.

It is not just the Surgeon General of the USA. It is the WHO, but your lack of reading comprehension did not allow you to see that part. You wearing a mask is not going to protect you from catching the virus from someone who is not. What ever they cough or sneeze will end up all over you not just on the mask you are wearing. And the mask will be covered in it as well and you will be touching that too. So you will be covered head to toe in whatever you are trying to protect yourself from.

But you go ahead and buy up all the masks so medical personnel cannot have any even though all available data shows that it will do you no good if that makes you feel safe.

And all available data also shows that those most at risk are the old and those with certain preexisting conditions. But you spend your time being afraid of your shadow if that is what you like to do.

The way I see it...Its mainly the older people/with pre-existing conditions whom will be most at risk!...They are also the ones with all the 'capital' built up over the years (especially in developed countries), so if they fear or suffer..all other generations will face even more hardship to come.

In addition to the US Surgeon general and the Who, now the DOH of the Philippines is stating not to wear a mask if you are not sick.

No. People with no respiratory signs and symptoms do not need to wear a medical mask. DOH recommends the use of medical masks only for the following:

Health workers.

DOH, together with WHO, advises the rational use of medical masks to avoid unnecessary wastage of vital resources and mis-use of masks.

The most effective ways to protect yourself and others against COVID-19 are to frequently clean or wash your hands, cover your cough with a tissue or the bend of the elbow, and maintain a distance of at least one meter from people who are coughing or sneezing. (For more information, see Section on protective and preventive measures).

"DOH, together with WHO, advises the rational use of medical masks to avoid unnecessary wastage of vital resources and mis-use of masks. "

But since you seem to know more than the DOH please share your knowledge with the rest of us. And since not everyone here is fluent in passive aggressive sarcasm please use plain language when you let us know.

PD, I am surprised by your comments and blatant sarcasm. Hope I'm not next in line.

Cheers, Steve.

I would not wear a mask for several reasons

I dislike them so don't want to
Air goes around the sides so they offer little protection
Medical professionals say don't (but many or most of them seem to be guessing anyway)
They add to pointless panic
My glasses steam up.

bigpearl wrote:

Health workers.

PD, I am surprised by your comments and blatant sarcasm. Hope I'm not next in line.

Cheers, Steve.

nah
the last thing we need is another thread whining about how special one of us is

bigpearl wrote:

Cheers, Steve.

nah
the last thing we need is another thread whining about how special one of us is

Ok all i see are more and more stressful emotions being thrown out together with personal experience/ facts/
figures/predictions during this current VERY medically/economically unsafe world!...As for me the 'more I read/learn/understand...the more I feel how little I actually know about anything!  :sick .... Lets just focus on the current major issue at hand  Covid 19 & the dreadful state of the world economy, and try our best to make this a better platform for everyone else who wants  feedback from others!

Thanks

manwonder wrote:

Lets just focus on the current major issue at hand  Covid 19 & and try our best to make this a better platform for everyone else who wants  feedback from others!

Thanks

Thank you!