Sense of humour in the Philippines

Hello everyone,

Should we set out to explore Filipino's culture through its sense of humour? Indeed, if one is planning to settle in the country, it is best to understand the cultural codes governing humour in order to avoid any faux-pas.

What is special about the sense of humour in the Philippines?

Is it acceptable to joke about any situations?

What is typically funny and what is absolutely not funny?

Are there any popular comedians in the Philippines and how would one be able to discover them (stand-up shows, festivals, internet, etc.)?

What is the funniest joke you have heard in the Philippines?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

If in a public place or around Filipino's you don't know
* No political jokes
* No jokes about rich and powerful
* No jokes about terrorist
* No jokes about religion
* No jokes that insult the Philippines

Basically always consider yourself a guest in someone's house, a person you don't know well, because we are guests in the Philippines.

A Friend of mine, who travelled permenantly for a Living, once told me.
"If you hear a Group of People laughing in  an Airport. They will probably be Filippino's".

What amazes me is that philipinos don't ever need a reason to smile, they do it as second nature.
I don't know this as a fact, but I believe that when they are born and the doctor slaps them on the bottom they don't cry, they laugh.

pej1111 wrote:

If in a public place or around Filipino's you don't know
* No political jokes
* No jokes about rich and powerful
* No jokes about terrorist
* No jokes about religion
* No jokes that insult the Philippines

Basically always consider yourself a guest in someone's house, a person you don't know well, because we are guests in the Philippines.

I would add that not only do you not want to insult the Philippines you also do not want to make fun of any of the individual people.  Insult comics would not do well here, as many of the people don't have a lot more things than personal pride.  It is difficult for me to not laugh at some of the karaoke I must endure, but I keep a straight face and applaud, not because I liked the song, but because the song has ended.

The sense of humor is manifested in the Filipino's love for socials and celebrations, in their capacity to laugh even in the most trying of times.

Philippino's are the most fun loving people in the world. They never approach a stranger without a smile and an offer of friendship. Their tolerance and compassion for family friends as well as foreigners is beyond belief. Yes there are areas that should be avoided as statmented by pep1111 but beyond that everything is fair. I have been amazed by how they can find laughter in the worst conditions.
But after all the most loved sport here IS basketball...lol

Greyone48 wrote:

Philippino's are the most fun loving people in the world. They never approach a stranger without a smile and an offer of friendship. Their tolerance and compassion for family friends as well as foreigners is beyond belief. Yes there are areas that should be avoided as statmented by pep1111 but beyond that everything is fair. I have been amazed by how they can find laughter in the worst conditions.
But after all the most loved sport here IS basketball...lol

While I hear you Greyone48 my observations are similar with regards to the smiling faces through thick and thin with adversity and happy times but I, and only me never see a sense of humour, joke, jibe or banter within our circle. Tolerance is high, compassion seems a little (oh I must be compassionate even though I never met this person). Though we laugh from time to time it is meaningless at the end of the day especially when my partner says to me on the side "you can't say that or they won't understand" but always a laugh,,,,,,,,, to what end? Humour here takes on a very different meaning to the accepted norms in western countries whether political or pile it on and visiting comedy companies in Manila I see slapstick 40's through 60's and then the tirade on the white guy or girl in the audience, attack yes, funny? Depends on how the victim answers. I see my better half watching Face offs? (flip top) Not sure what you would call the retinue but it is basically a competition of words and lowly wits taking the piss out of the competitor, funny? Not really as it is slag off match no different to bitching in primary school with your mate.
The best humour I see here is Vice Gander or a dude called Joe Koy but hey he is an American taking the p*ss and does it well. Humour even with my love/better half comes around rarely though when it does is innocent to him but has impact to me and while not often is appreciated, my jokes and whit wore thin years ago with "ugh" "what do you mean?" or simply I don't understand (even though we have lived together for 7 years) (He has worked in Oz for 5 years) (I don't understand).

The smiling faces and humility of these people are all I need but hey, I am yet to get their humour,

Cheers, Steve.

The humour is linked to culture. Something will make an American but the same thing will not make a French laugh and vice versa. And it is the same worldwide. It does not mean that the American or French or Filipinos have no sense of humour. For example the comnercials on TV are not funny at all in the US and Philippines but in France most often they inject a lot of humour. When we were watching, my familly and myself , we were laughing but not my Filipina wife. She could not understand that we put humour in commercials. Humour is all in the culture. When you start understanding well the language you will start to understand their humour a lot based on playing with words from different dialects of the archipelago.

I agree with most of what is stated above. Philippinos are very close to their family and can say things to siblings that would cause problems in a different setting.
I find most funny stuff is ok if it's you're picking on your self. Not funny if you are talking about a stranger.
As far as French humor????

The French humor is often against other countries. The Filipino humor never attack other countries, it is about themselves. I prefer the Filipino humor personnally.

To be fair the French have had many other countries involved with them... Personally.

Wow! Well I was there for 1 year 2011-2012 I would not say that Filipinos are all Fun Loving people with a great sense of humor, first of all if you are American they look at you as that a RICH American, so sense of humor I am sure they will laugh at whatever you say, you got money! The more they laugh the more you give them, not untrue of what they think.  Some are good people like anywhere and laugh, between themselves you can easily be the butt of jokes if you don't speak Tagalog and they know that.  I think most Filipino's have warm hearts but remember as people point out, you are a foreigner there it's not your country be humble, be nice, in no way play rich even if you are unless you are staying out of public sight so you stay alive...

I would say learn Tagalog!!! Let them know you know it, speak it often and you will be accepted far far more then a typical foreigner!  Then make jokes and they will help you to do so..

Re karaoke, one person said he claps as at last the singer had finished, I I clap because irrespective if the singer is not that good at the song , I clap because they give it a go ! I applaud because even though they sound nothing like the song ! they in their small way contribute to the gathering and just think, even though they know they are not good re pitch , sound etc,they give it a go, so they deserve some praise !

I went to a fiesta in a province and they had a comedian there on stage. There were probably 1000 people there all dancing , drinking and having a great time. I was in the middle of the crowd..  6 foot tall and silver hair. I stuck out like a sore thumb you could say.
Well anyway the comedian said I see there is a foreigner in the crowd ask me a couple questions and then asked me for a donation for the fiesta. Immediately saying a donation is better than paying ransom.
Wow. In front of 1000 people late at night in the middle of nowhere. I didn't think that was funny.
So maybe this blog should be about what is acceptable for Philippines not to say to foreigners!   Lol.

When "comedians" start asking me questions my reply is "Sprechen zie Deutsche?"  If they actually start questioning me in German, my next reply is "I Don't speak German."

Kent&Liza
Kent&Liza
Kent&Liza
Today 00:13:34

you are correct to denie this comediem gesture of paying a donation
respect all pillippine paople ; Got in there heads that all foriegners are rich - on the contrary foriengers are not rich they have to save to be ale to come into Phillippines as when I was in Philippines for two month - I had twelve your old girl carrying baby came up to me and my lady in a restuarant and begging to give Her some money and in another day in different restuarant 9 year boys was staring at us there rge restuarant window asking for money  that is NOT ACCEptable and allong the high streets in the city young girls begging us to give them money ..
please do not get me wrong life is a struggle at best of times where money is spent on foods wisely then you will have enough for a week
all these people do need serious help my wife has worked all her life and never been out of work -  now retired and her monthly pension is small and she is struggling and it will be beneath her statute to go out begging thats not wife Nature ''NO' thus wife will balance Her pension to last the month  True !

Regards Terry

Be careful with sarcasm because it may be misunderstood.

Guy, I got the joke...what I don't get is a six foot white silver haired guy in the middle of nowhere dancing like there is nothing to worry about.
You should think about where you put yourself before you take a  jab at those locals. Just saying.

If you dont like the face of poverty make it go away by giving or stay where it is hidden.

Too many foreigners come here and expect things to be as they are in their home country...duh!

Great point Greyone48!!

pbischoff wrote:

Wow! Well I was there for 1 year 2011-2012 I would not say that Filipinos are all Fun Loving people with a great sense of humor, first of all if you are American they look at you as that a RICH American, so sense of humor I am sure they will laugh at whatever you say, you got money! The more they laugh the more you give them, not untrue of what they think.  Some are good people like anywhere and laugh, between themselves you can easily be the butt of jokes if you don't speak Tagalog and they know that.  I think most Filipino's have warm hearts but remember as people point out, you are a foreigner there it's not your country be humble, be nice, in no way play rich even if you are unless you are staying out of public sight so you stay alive...

I would say learn Tagalog!!! Let them know you know it, speak it often and you will be accepted far far more then a typical foreigner!  Then make jokes and they will help you to do so..

I have given up telling jokes to Filipinos. They just don't have a funny bone...To know what Filipinos laugh at...turn your TV on and tune into  "Showtime"

Hi...Good question you asked
I am also eager to know on humour in Philippines
Regards

Regarding giving money to beggers..if you give them,chances are they will smoke it or drink it..they are lazy people.why cant they wash.theres plenty water.!!!. A little old lady came to me as i was  buying bread at a store.with both her hands together pleading me to give her something.so i gave her two bread,then to my suprise she moaned at me,so i gave her another bread(pandasal bread).she turned away and throw the bread on the floor.i will not give money to these people after that.

As i said before, you have to avoid sarcasm completely, for instance, if you say something sarcastic like "I really love children but I couldn't eat a whole one" most Filipinos are absolutely horrified. hahaha

I have also been shocked when I have offered food to a beggar, they gesture to their mouths like they are starving, but if you offer them food they seem insulted and offended because they just want money. Some beggars have plenty of food at home but begging for money is just a way of life for them.

FindlayMacD wrote:

As i said before, you have to avoid sarcasm completely, for instance, if you say something sarcastic like "I really love children but I couldn't eat a whole one" most Filipinos are absolutely horrified. hahaha

Maybe it is difficult to understand British humour :-) Mr Bean does not make me laugh for example

My biggest trouble is saying the joke in the local language or even in Tagalog.  So you guys are doing well. 

It is said that you can only truly speak and understand a culture when you can tell a joke in the local language.   Of course for the Filipino's English is not there local language and all except for the well educated ones are not 100% proficient with English.  I do find that they ones that can speak English perfectly get many of my jokes, of course culture barriers still play a part.  Just like when I say to person from England or America "He has a couple of roo's lose in is top paddock".  They don't laugh, I think it may be because they (the Brits, Yanks, and Indian's) don't have a sense of humor "sic"  or maybe they have a roo lose in the top paddock.  Yep that is a joke.

Always be considerate that there are many boundaries in telling jokes, the first is the language, second culture and third, well I am just a bad joke teller, may be you are the same.

@Bhavna

In my experience it seems that most Filipinos have poor sense of humor. I will tell a joke or tease someone and they takes so seriously and some even offensively

@Bhavna

In my experience most Filipinos have poor sense of humor, sure they are very happy  cheerful people, but do not take well to jokes or teasing. Remember I said "some" there are a few that are very humorous and funny.

I am not sure what sort of comedy they would enjoy but thinking of the British comedy shows through time, a lot of them in the 70's and 80's were either sexist or racist and we look back on them with distaste now but I was brought up in that ear. I think some comedy shows they would fail to understand or not find funny such as Blackadder, Only Fools and Horses and Mock the Week.

I think the type of comedy they would enjoy is probably either the silent type like Mr Bean or a more visual comedy where you can actually see silly, funny things happening. A good example of this would be "Some Mothers Do Ave Em", an old show from the 70's but with lots of visual laughs. Both of these shows are just harmless fun showing funny situations and the attempts of the actors to deal with them.

I have hard understanding what type of TALK jokes they find funny, I have got many laughs when joking, but some they dont find funny at all. Perhaps it is as one said above, they take it to literaly.

An expat, who have lived in Phils long time, say main Filipino humour is physical e g when someone fall even if get hurt.

But as an other said much of humour is country related. Hard to find something funny if not knowing of whats refered to.

Maybe it is difficult to understand British humour :-) Mr Bean does not make me laugh for example

-@GuestPoster170

Mister Bean is the ONLY British humour I find funny  haha

Not fully true, there are some funny exceptions as Laurel and Hardy.

And an old comedy serie about a school class was very funny too. It ccontinued so many years, so the origin teenage actors was over 30 when it ended. Have forgot name, it was black and white.

But much not funny e g:

John Cleese in Monty Python I find boooring in all scetches and movies, BUT he was funny in an interview.

Benny Hill was just "Old man illness" under belt bad jokes.

I dont remember name of the worst, only sick "jokes" not funny at all. It was a long serie too so I suppouse Brits found it funny somehow!  :)

Out of my experiences self-mockery and situational humor is what they seem to like most

Coach53 said. . . .I have got many laughs when joking, but some they dont find funny at all.

You are the joke.

Coach53 said. . . .I have got many laughs when joking, but some they dont find funny at all.
You are the joke.

-@Enzyte Bob

And you are the BS specialst. But you did only manage to become second1f923.svg  after Lotus Eater.

Btw my employees find it funny I have given them jobs. What useful have you done for humanity...?  :D

Humour comes in different degrees and levels, culture comes into it. Here it seems taking the piss out of another gets more laughs than a good joke. See it all the time here, pulling hairs off coworkers legs while up a ladder gets lot's of laughs, for me as an Aussie if done to me could earn a punch in the face, here? Acceptable and a good laugh for the guys. I never got American humour as I grew up until I started watching political happenings over many years and then learnt the references, mostly a smile but at times bias, the points were made.

Over the years 12/13 I have sat with the locals here having a beer and rarely a laugh unless it's hanging sh1t on their mate/s. This is the culture and love or hate is where I want to be and try at times frustrating to integrate, most times the people you are having a drink with or socializing are on their bl@@dy phones.

Perhaps why I'm more a hermit these days? Alienated? Different upbringing? Even the better half's family rarely laugh and don't have fun unless it's picking on some ones singing in karaoke or they tripped over.

I still have a good laugh here but with friends from other countries around the world or netfix/youtube some nights but not with the locals, nothing gained and little lost.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Two old expats went to a bar in the Philippines.

One Swede and one Australian........

Sorry Jackson don't do bars full of expats, bad enough the locals living here, I keep away from them as they are self opiniated and generally full of sh1t, probably wealthier than me but no need to sprout/rub it in with "I'm better than you", no time for B/S as another member states.

Best to keep a low profile, I have my door company and the glass company here today and all very serious, 5 from each company when they saw me (oh a westerner) until I picked up the chrome plated handles for the glass pool fence gates and started playing the trumpet, they all laughed and now more relaxed and better communication, funny? Humour comes in many forms but it seemed to work, they relaxed. Not afraid to ask after a simple gesture.

I would love to be a fly on the wall with gatherings when I'm not there, perhaps then I can learn the local humour.

Love my life here and will die here with or without local jokes.

Cheers, Steve.

Typical Filipino jokes make fun of the culture and may go something like this:

John: Dad, there's a girl I like. She's beautiful. I want to go out with her.

Dad: Who?

John: The girl across the street, Nina,

Dad: Oh no, you can't. Don't tell Mom, but she's your sister.

John was furious, but a week had passed and he had fallen in love again.

John: Dad, I think I'm in love. She's prettier.

Dad: Who?

John: She lives beside our house. Her name's Ana.

Dad: Oh son, I pity you, but you can't date her. She's your sister as well. I'm sorry, but it's happened more than once.

John was furious. He decided to talk to his mother.

John: Mom, I despise my father!I can't date the five ladies I fell in love with just because they're all my dad's daughters to different women.

Mom: Oh, don't mind what your father said. You can date whoever you want; he's not your father.