Best place to get the most out of Costa Rica?

Hi guys,

I'm planning on visiting Costa Rica in April, but not sure where to go as the country is huge.

As much as I love the beach I think the most important thing about a visit to Costa Rica is to absorb its nature and wild life. So a lot of walks in the rainforest is probably on top of my list.

From the limited research I've done so far it seems like Lake Arenal could be a good location. What do you think about this?

Expect rain  & windy conditions when living around the Lake Arenal area, and will require having a vehicle, and being nearer to Monteverde cloud forest will be more suitable for what you are describing what you are looking for. However, there will be lots of tourists

You'll need to do some more research because the place I am recommending, I have not been to in many years. BUT it used to be a good alternative to Monteverde which is now like the Disneyland of eco tourism. (i.e. tons of tourists)
Reserva Santa Elena used to be much less visited yet the basic same forest and cheaper too! Very near Monteverde.

Maybe someone here can chime in on how it is nowadays, and if not, ask around...
https://www.reservasantaelena.org/Servicios.html

Depending on how much you can spend, I highly recommend the Villa Blanca at the Los Angeles Cloud Forest just north of San Ramon  It's much easier to get to than Monteverde, as well, though if you don't have a car you'll have to pay for a taxi to take you up there and back from San Ramon which is going to cost some $. There is a bus but that's a bit complicated. If you are going to rent a car then problem solved!
https://www.villablanca-costarica.com/w … tour-walk/

$190 a night to stay there though! (When I went it was like $80 a night but they've got new owners and apparently renovated the cottages etc.)

It says the 2 hour day tour is $34 pp which is a fair enough price.
I'd write to make SURE you can take just the tour without staying there but I'm pretty sure you can. I've done it before but that was a while back.

illerrre wrote:

Hi guys,

I'm planning on visiting Costa Rica in April, but not sure where to go as the country is huge.

As much as I love the beach I think the most important thing about a visit to Costa Rica is to absorb its nature and wild life. So a lot of walks in the rainforest is probably on top of my list.

From the limited research I've done so far it seems like Lake Arenal could be a good location. What do you think about this?

Arenal area is not known for its forests as far as I know, but there are some around there. Not sure if they are officially cloud or rain forests or not, though. They might be.
What Arenal (La Fortuna area) is known for are the hot springs of which there are many choices of.
The most famous (and most expensive) is Tabacon. I do'nt recommend them unless you're got lotsa bucks to spend but if money is no object, it is a beautiful place.
However there are other options in the area that are pretty nicely landscaped as well for much less money.

There is a waterfall tour from La Fortuna as well but I've never taken it. I think you can hike or take a horse. Then of course there is the volcano visible from many of the hot springs and hotels.

One hotel there in La Fortuna that I highly recommend is also a bit highly priced but quite beautiful. Los Lagos. $172 a night. Ouch! I paid $80 or so back in the day, just 5 years ago! Jeezh.

It includes breakfast at least. The grounds are beautiful and usually you can see monkeys there (ask the desk where to go look, I saw them right off the highway just next to the hotel) ,and there is a butterfly garden, crocodiles - safely out of reach from eating you, LOL, and so on. Mostly it's just very beautifully landscaped. Oh and it includes hot springs on premises and a pool with slide and swim up bar.
https://www.hotelloslagos.com/index.php … ve/stepOne

On the way back from there you could get off at Hotel Villa Blanca then get a ride back to San Ramon somehow.