New members of the Costa Rica forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hi all,

Newbie on the Costa Rica forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Costa Rica if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

hello, I have been to cr many times and my wife is costarican, we r just seeking opinions when shipping some items  in a crate  of some size what was expectations and results of such

we are planning to build shortly south of Uvita.  But we have been heading down for over 14 yrs.   looking for deals on landscaping materials, security shutters etc...  hope to buy our appliances in Golfito .  Perhaps a silly question but could you bring a 55" tv  in a box on the plane and pay extra?

Moderated by Priscilla last week
Reason : free advertising is not allowed on Expat.com, please register your enterprise in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello! 

Just a quick note to introduce ourselves.  Gary, Kimberley and Max the dog.
I retire (at 55) in 12 months and we plan to move to Costa Rica from the UK.
Over the next 12 months we will be asking LOADS of questions so please bear with us - but in the mean time we leave for 3 weeks touring the country in a few weeks.. fingers crossed for blue skies and warm winds.

I am starting a none commercial travel and retirement blog that will cover our deliberations and decisions regarding the move - I'm unsure if I can share the URL here It is advertising free - and really simple - first ever website etc.  So let me know if I share I am breaking the rules.

First question is - rent or buy first?  I have heard it can take years to sell a property and it can become a millstone around your neck ?  But is it easy to rent with a dog?

Anyways ... thank you :)

Gary

Definitely, rent first. Many rentals will accept dogs, so be sure to get a fully fenced yard to keep him from wandering.

Very easy to purchase property ...and very often very difficult to sell. Also makes it easier to move around the country, if you feel that your original choice was not the best for you all.

Hi everyone,
My name is Beatrice and we live in Colorado. Our family of 6 is moving to Guanacaste in June and will be staying there for one school-year. Our kiddos will be attending Educarte near Tamarindo and we are currently remotely looking for a place to rent in the area but after having thoroughly roamed the Tamarindo, La Garetta, Santa Rosa, Playa Grande areas, we realize we will have to be on-site to find the perfect place : )
We are looking forward to our move and would welcome any advice!
Thank you!
Beatrice

busybea :

Hi everyone,
My name is Beatrice and we live in Colorado. Our family of 6 is moving to Guanacaste in June and will be staying there for one school-year. Our kiddos will be attending Educarte near Tamarindo and we are currently remotely looking for a place to rent in the area but after having thoroughly roamed the Tamarindo, La Garetta, Santa Rosa, Playa Grande areas, we realize we will have to be on-site to find the perfect place : )
We are looking forward to our move and would welcome any advice!
Thank you!
Beatrice

Check Facebook for a group in Tamarindo. Don't know if there is one or not but it seems there are facebook groups for many areas of Costa Rica and there you would find local people who might know of rentals.
Check back here as well but the fact is I don't think many on here live in that area. We'll see if anyone responds...

Thank you, I will check the Tamarindo Facebook pages.

It may not be important to you, but I don't think that this school is Internationally Accredited,  meaning it has been validated and is accepted by other countries and associations internationally as a mark of quality assurance.

I am not saying, by any means, that this school is below standard.

Thank you for your comment! It is a good point! Yes, we are aware of it but our stay in Costa Rica is so exceptional to us and so short (one year) that we are ready to have an out-of-the-box experience and the benefits will certainly out-weigh the mishaps. Our kiddos are homeschooled already so we are used to not fitting the traditional mold ; )

That's good that it still 'fits the bill' for a good learning experience, for all   :top: