Anyone have any further info on this upcoming tourist visa change?

From what I've read and heard, it affects tourist visas over 30 days and you have to get re-stamped every 30 days. Could drive away expats from VN like the Thai laws that are driving away expats in Thailand. Hopefully it doesn't affect most expats but could be a game changer for people looking to retire in VN.
https://vietnamnet.vn/en/society/police … 01182.html

qnbui wrote:

From what I've read and heard, it affects tourist visas over 30 days and you have to get re-stamped every 30 days. Could drive away expats from VN like the Thai laws that are driving away expats in Thailand. Hopefully it doesn't affect most expats but could be a game changer for people looking to retire in VN.
https://vietnamnet.vn/en/society/police … 01182.html

Gotta love my business visa...

Here is a video I came across on YouTube about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkqFetB … 8&t=0s

Still not a lot of details about the new tourist visa rules ...

From the wording it sounds like DT (Investor Visa) and possibly DN visa will be unchanged or relaxed.  Video expands upon that but the DT takes a fairly significant investment to change things.  3 Billion to get to 3 years.

Here is a link to the new law (but it is in Vietnamese):

https://luatvietnam.vn/xuat-nhap-canh/l … 53-d1.html

The problems with those previously issued 12mth Business Visa's are still unfolding.

They were selling them like bus tickets & they were popular due to the term of stay.   However, a lot of them were issued illegally in that a Work Permit should have been involved in the process regarding the 12mth  VIsa.   The agents just registered a $2 shell company to sponsor the DNs. but didn't follow up with the work permits .

The 3 mth DN didn't require a work permit to be registered.

Anyone would know if they had a work permit due to the procedure in getting one, health check, police report etc etc.

My  Visa agent told me the only way to know if your 12mth DN is valid is to ask the agent who issued it to show you the work permit ( or copy) that should have been registered.

Apparantly Immigration have a “list” of all those 12mth DN holders that haven't got work permits.    And that's why people have found themselves on these “lists”. 

So later on down the track, when you go to get another Visa you may have some $$ negotiating to do. 😆
There's another side to this , but I prefer not to comment on an open forum about that.

Ontheroad57 wrote:

The problems with those previously issued 12mth Business Visa's are still unfolding.

They were selling them like bus tickets & they were popular due to the term of stay.   However, a lot of them were issued illegally in that a Work Permit should have been involved in the process regarding the 12mth  VIsa.   The agents just registered a $2 shell company to sponsor the DNs. but didn't follow up with the work permits .

The 3 mth DN didn't require a work permit to be registered.

Anyone would know if they had a work permit due to the procedure in getting one, health check, police report etc etc.

My  Visa agent told me the only way to know if your 12mth DN is valid is to ask the agent who issued it to show you the work permit ( or copy) that should have been registered.

Apparantly Immigration have a “list” of all those 12mth DN holders that haven't got work permits.    And that's why people have found themselves on these “lists”. 

So later on down the track, when you go to get another Visa you may have some $$ negotiating to do. 😆
There's another side to this , but I prefer not to comment on an open forum about that.

Is this based on your personal experience with your visa, or are you repeating what you've been told by others?

I'm not saying you are wrong.

It just helps to know when someone has actual new firsthand knowledge, as what you have posted has already been posted by others in this forum, yet I can't recall any of those people certifying that their comments were based on firsthand knowledge.

On the other hand, I and at least one other poster here (SteinNebraska) do have firsthand knowledge from using DN business visas to "explore business opportunities" here.

Admittedly, we are both U.S. citizens and seem to be especially welcome to look for ways to invest here, while other nationalities are not so fortunate.

A very recent development has been the establishment of a totally online interface for visa applications through the San Francisco Vietnam Consulate General:

vietnamconsulate-sf. org/en/2019/05/09/apply-online-receive-loose-leaf-visa-delivered-by-fedex/

If you take a look at the interface and select a 1 year, multiple entries business visa, there doesn't appear to be any requirement to submit a sponsor letter or copy of an employment offer.

Maybe you submit under the new system and you receive a follow-up email asking for a sponsor letter.

I honestly don't know.

However my agent at a large and established Visa on Arrival agency in Hanoi (the home of centralized immigration) has repeatedly told me that the government is happy to have more business visa applications from the USA, as long as we behave ourselves once we enter the country.

Hi Gordy,
I was given the runaround by several agents telling me I was blacklisted for all sorts of reasons for crimes I MAY have committed like traffic violations,  not registered at address , too much travel on a multi entry visa ( 3 times 😆...why do they call it MULTI entry) etc etc......

In the end the person that settled the matter with immigration told me it was because of NO work permit held.     In previous posts I mentioned I have emails from agents telling me that I DID NOT require a work permit, company registration, tax file number, etc .

As for how the “list” works .....that's interesting, but when you think about it , there's a reason why this is played the way it is.

The investigation into the “bogus” DNs began i think in mid 2019.   Why didn't they contact all DN holders ( they have your email & phone since everything's liked to PPort)  and get them to re apply following the correct procedure.   Seems reasonable.    They do have records of every 12 mth DN that hasn't had a work permit registered. 

That's a nice list to have for future use huh.....just gotta hope your not on the “list”.

It's obvious why they didn't “bust” everyone at once.

Here is an update for people holding DL (tourist) visas on/after 1 July 2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SROXtri … e=emb_logo

The gentleman who made this video spoke to a Immigration Officer recently who confirmed that tourists will be permitted to stay in Vietnam for a maximum of 30 days, even if the visa duration is longer than 30 days.

zeubie wrote:

The gentleman who made this video spoke to a Immigration Officer recently who confirmed that tourists will be permitted to stay in Vietnam for a maximum of 30 days, even if the visa duration is longer than 30 days.

Five months before this lunacy is supposed to take place. Someone with a brain will bring to their attention the money that will not be lining their pockets due to expats and tourists going elsewhere

It looks like for long term stayers you'll need to go down the road of TRC , VEC , Business vIsa etc. 

3 mth DN business visas (as I've been told) don't require work permits and are multi entry & renewable inside VN up to 3 times...you exit at 12 mths and reapply. 

I've heard it's aimed at illegal workers here on 90 day tourist visas ..BUT if you don't require a work permit for a 3mth renewable DN business visa , I can't see that being a major hurdle for teachers , chinese & Russian tour operators & others to jump.

Besides, a lot of the Chinese illegals simply walk across the border .  The Russians come here on free 15 day visas & simply stay.....legalities don't seem to worry illegal workers.

I travel here a lot with long term stays.  I carry  “travel” insurance.    I asked the insurer what my legal position is regarding the policy if I'm in Vietnam on a Business visa , TRC etc.......the answer wasn't what I wanted🤓.     Your here on business status or resident status,,,so there goes your travel insurance.

Things change when you go from tourist status to Business or resident status.   An agent told me “they” can ask more questions regarding your financials, tax etc if your not a Tourist.

It wasn't actually what she said,, it was the look in her eyes & the way she said it.🤓

Something to consider when selecting your mode of stay.

colinoscapee wrote:
zeubie wrote:

Five months before this lunacy is supposed to take place. Someone with a brain will bring to their attention the money that will not be lining their pockets due to expats and tourists going elsewhere

Correct...it's always about money.
IMO it has a lot to do with the hotel, condotel & serviced apartment game here.

A lot of them are bleeding even though the place has tourists on every corner.   The VN Housing Law stated  that a foreigner cannot lease a private dwelling unless they have 90 days continuous stay with a renewable visa.   Under 90 days, your supposed to stay in a hotel, condotel etc.

If you look on expat FB sites they are FULL of advertisements from privateer apartment owners offering short term stays to tourists.   The Zero dong Chinese tour groups will pack 10/12 people into a 2 bedroom apartment in paces like Nha Trang for $35- $40 a night.  That's $3 a head.   

The big hotels are at low occupancy , the condotels are going out of business , projects stalling & commercial serviced apartments are low on occupancy as well.    The problem is the Banks have financed most of this stuff.

The banks have now severely restricted lending to these operations.
Moody's recently downgraded the vIetnamese banks .
Foreign shareholders in those banks have sold up.
They're finding it difficult to attract capital.

So....how do we fix this.???.    Maybe if some of those “pesky” long term stayers on DL visas are given the flick every 30 days , they MAY be unable to be registered in a private dwelling.   They would have to stay in hotels , condos etc. .....at greater expense .    That would help the hotels bottom line, the banks bottom line & tax would be easier to collect.

For example , my registered lease is only 35% of what I actually pay.   The owners avoid the tax.  It's all part of the game. I was at the notary office when the lease was signed for the low amount....”tea money” got it sorted.   I also “tipped” a guy in a green shirt the day I moved in. 

Maybe I'm wrong in my assertions,, but it's always about the money.

The BS about stopping illegal workers is just smoke.  They'll never wipe out illegal activity in a country that has No rule of Law and most business deals are negotiated with “tea money”. 

They reap what they sow.

On a recent two day trip to Malaysia, Vietnam immigration stripped me of my two year TRC visa and issued me with a three month tourist visa. Now I don't qualify for a driver's licence and recently the bank cancelled my savings account. I have lived here for 12 years and don't know what I'll do in three months. Does anyone know if marrying a Vietnamese citizen would allow better options?

I have a long time relationship( several years) with a Vietnamese lady with two children. They of course would lose a defacto husband/father.

I do believe wrote:

On a recent two day trip to Malaysia, Vietnam immigration stripped me of my two year TRC visa and issued me with a three month tourist visa. Now I don't qualify for a driver's licence and recently the bank cancelled my savings account. I have lived here for 12 years and don't know what I'll do in three months. Does anyone know if marrying a Vietnamese citizen would allow better options?

I have a long time relationship( several years) with a Vietnamese lady with two children. They of course would lose a defacto husband/father.

You must have had a work related TRC but had no job.
Marriage will give you a spousal TRC or VEC, which is quite easy to obtain.

I do believe wrote:

Does anyone know if marrying a Vietnamese citizen would allow better options?

Yes you can get a 5 year VEC or a (likely) 3 year TRC.  I'm going for the VEC after Tet now that I'm married and my current DT Visa is expiring in March.  I understand that the VEC is only $10 for five years. Plus, your driver's license will also be good for that duration.  I need to get that again as well.

If you are going to do it you better get moving.  It will take a little bit of time after the marriage to get the marriage license and then VEC or TRC paperwork but it is a guaranteed VEC or TRC if you are married to a citizen.

If you don't travel out of the country a lot you might be better served with the TRC.  I don't want to quote the times because I'm not sure on the TRC but I think it is a longer window between border runs on the TRC.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

On the other hand, I and at least one other poster here (SteinNebraska) do have firsthand knowledge from using DN business visas to "explore business opportunities" here.

Admittedly, we are both U.S. citizens and seem to be especially welcome to look for ways to invest here, while other nationalities are not so fortunate.

Post #3 on this thread https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=880967  would seem to indicate that SteinNebraska has moved well beyond "exploring business opportunities" as he describes recently hiring two Vietnamese nationals.    Presumably he has obtained a work permit and will soon have  a VEC.  Certainly SteinNebraska is contributing to the economy in a significant way and the government should allow him a means to stay for an extended period.

You have described the fact that you feel secure that the agent who secured your DN visa has given you a product that will not be undone.  I don't doubt that this is true, but have you considered the possibility that he simply has better political connections at Immigration than some of the other agents.

SteinNebraska wrote:
I do believe wrote:

Does anyone know if marrying a Vietnamese citizen would allow better options?

Yes you can get a 5 year VEC or a (likely) 3 year TRC.  I'm going for the VEC after Tet now that I'm married and my current DT Visa is expiring in March.  I understand that the VEC is only $10 for five years. Plus, your driver's license will also be good for that duration.  I need to get that again as well.

If you are going to do it you better get moving.  It will take a little bit of time after the marriage to get the marriage license and then VEC or TRC paperwork but it is a guaranteed VEC or TRC if you are married to a citizen.

If you don't travel out of the country a lot you might be better served with the TRC.  I don't want to quote the times because I'm not sure on the TRC but I think it is a longer window between border runs on the TRC.

There are no border runs on a TRC, that is the main advantage. At around 140usd for 3-years it's worth every cent. For those that travel a lot, the VEC is best as you mentioned.

I actually have a friend that works IN immigration.  He got me my DT visa and I didn't even need to do a border run to activate it.  He stamped me in as an entry.

I started out on a DN visa when I was just traveling here, sourcing products for my company back home who still employs me.  I replaced it with a DT Visa.  DT visa is for investors in a business.  I invested in the trading company here.  It was only a 1billion investment.  That money has to remain in the business for a minimum of three years.  I can't take it out so we just put it in a term savings account in the business account.  As an investor I can draw a salary from the business and take profits from the business.  I don't have a wok permit.  I have a work permit exemption for two years.  It took a couple of weeks and a couple hundred dollars with a lawyer here to draft it but I'm completely legal.  I currently am operating under that DT visa but since getting married in April I'm getting a VEC which should give me five years.

SteinNebraska wrote:

I started out on a DN visa when I was just traveling here, sourcing products for my company back home who still employs me.  I replaced it with a DT Visa......I don't have a wok permit.  I have a work permit exemption for two years.........I currently am operating under that DT visa but since getting married in April I'm getting a VEC which should give me five years.

Congratulations on all counts but particularly the marriage part.  I am wondering though how the VEC will work out for you unless you routinely leave the country every 6 months on business anyway.

BTW since you "don't have a wok permit," you will not be allowed to take any jobs in restaurants.   :joking:

There will be more cases like “I do Believe “, regarding the TRCs.

A lot of them were set up by dodgy procedures & now they are being found out by cross referencing PP numbers, names, work permit etc.

Only as of last week I was offerred the deal of getting the TRC.
1. Set up a company & get the rego number
2. Set up the bank account for the company & deposit 200 million VND , and next day withdraw the money & close the account.   Seems odd🤓

Since they've got the company rego details the agent would get a work permit organised which goes with the TRC.   
Then they close the company registration.

I know people that have done it ,,and have never seen the work permit.

Also, once that company is de registered , as far as I know , the work permit isn't valid anymore since that company was the sponsor.

It's as dodgy as f#ck.     

Has anyone had a TRC issued this way.   Is it any wonder this country is rated so poorly on nearly every global business ratings index.

The agent said the DL tourist visas will all be stamped for 30 days stay  even if issued for longer.
So....I've either got to live like a yo.yo
Get a TRC issued correctly ..ie keep the company open & file financial returns & tax returns regardless.
Marry someone & buy them a house😆

Take your pick.

THIGV wrote:

I am wondering though how the VEC will work out for you unless you routinely leave the country every 6 months on business anyway.

I go home to the US two weeks every two months for work so it's not an issue.  We will go home in 1.5 years for four years for her daughter to finish high school in the US and then retire and live here 6 months and US for 6 months.

Even when we go to US in 18 months the president of our company said "well, you will want to go back to see family so I figure you will need three trips a year." They pay for all of the travel expenses.

I will be coming to Vietnam in the summer with my family to work for an international school. We want my father in law to come with us. I was planning on getting him a 1 year tourist visa. Will this new law impact that plan? If so any suggestions on what I can do?

1-year tourist visas have been terminated something like 1.5y ago if I recall correctly. If he's American it is still possible to get one but he'll have to exit every 3 months.

javjenatru wrote:

I will be coming to Vietnam in the summer with my family to work for an international school. We want my father in law to come with us. I was planning on getting him a 1 year tourist visa. Will this new law impact that plan? If so any suggestions on what I can do?

Since you are an American citizen, try the new fully online process at the website for the Vietnam Consulate in San Francisco:

vietnamconsulate-sf. org/en/2019/05/09/apply-online-receive-loose-leaf-visa-delivered-by-fedex/

About 3 or 4 months ahead of time, after you have his flight information, attempt to get him the 1 Year Business Visa.

There doesn't seem to be a requirement now to submit a sponsorship letter through that official site.

If there isn't a requirement once you get into the process, then that will definitely be your best bet for him.

If you get into the process there and they do ask for a sponsorship letter, which you won't have, then your next best chance is to get a one year business Visa through a visa on arrival agent (VOA).

At that point, if you need a referral, send me a private message.

I can't promote my trustworty agent in Hanoi here in the open forum.

Good luck!

Thanks Mike! Exiting every 3 months is more doable than every month.

Mike Wagner wrote:

1-year tourist visas have been terminated something like 1.5y ago if I recall correctly. If he's American it is still possible to get one but he'll have to exit every 3 months.

Maybe read the OP at the top of the thread.

This whole thread is active because the latest news has the law changing this summer to only allowing 30 day stays between border runs on tourist visas

javjenatru wrote:

Thanks Mike! Exiting every 3 months is more doable than every month.

Please read the entire thread

I know he's trying to be helpful to you, but it appears he's giving you erroneous information

Ocean breeze,
The school will be organizing my work permit and my immediate family's visas. Do you think it would be possible for me to include my father in law as a member of our family for visa purposes independently of the school?

I wouldn't want the school to change their mind about hiring me because I will have an additional family member living with us. Although they may not care.

Thanks,

Jen

Is there anyway you can email me your contacts info? My email address is ***

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details through private messaging. Thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
javjenatru wrote:

Do you think it would be possible for me to include my father in law as a member of our family for visa purposes independently of the school?

You might want to ask the school if they can also include your dad and you will reimburse them for his visa. Tell them that your dad lives with your family and that your family is taking care of him. Vietnamese believe in kids taking care of their elderly parents as well as most SE Asian countries since there's really no social security services.
Good luck!

qnbui wrote:

Tell them that your dad lives with your family and that your family is taking care of him.

You can maybe say the same to immigration.  He may (emphasis on may) be eligible for a TT dependent visa.

I do believe wrote:

1. You could wait till July & see what happens with the new policy,,,you'll need another visa run before then if you've got 3mths now.

2.Look at getting a DN 3mth multi entry Business visa.  No documentation required YET🤓 they are renewable without leaving for up to 12 mths, then leave & start again.  Again,,July may change that.
I'm was quoted $150 renewable 3mth fee.    All up, your looking at maybe $600 a year in visa fees plus the annual border run.  OR just get fresh DN $120 including stamping and do borders runs @ 90 days if you like some variety.   Maybe your license & bank account can be sorted with that if these new changes come in.   Best to wait & see.

3. Buy a good suit & start singing “here comes the bride”   Maybe OB can strum the guitar as she walks down the aisle.  That'll get you a VEC or TRC.

Hey....I've just solved Gordy's business seeking objective.  Start channeling Adam Sandler as a Wedding  sInger & marriage celebrant.   By the looks of things around here, there could be a surge in blokes getting hitched.

Ontheroad57 wrote:

2.Look at getting a DN 3mth multi entry Business visa.  No documentation required YET🤓 they are renewable without leaving for up to 12 mths, then leave & start again.  Again,,July may change that.
I'm was quoted $150 renewable 3mth fee.

I was quoted:$139 USD for that same 3 month multi entry business visa for US citizens.

I can't confirm the part about not leaving between renewals, but that would be a good feature for some.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
Ontheroad57 wrote:

I'm was quoted $150 renewable 3mth fee.

I was quoted:$139 USD for that same 3 month multi entry business visa for US citizens.

I can't confirm the part about not leaving between renewals, but that would be a good feature for some.

I actually wanted & preferred the 90 day tourist visa. But my agent told me in early December they'll be 30 day stays only.  She put me on the DN 3mth multi and did state the main features were NO documentation required & Renewable 3 times 90 days, then leave & start again.

Im suspicious since it will be seen that I'm “gaming” the system for longer term stays, and not actually doing business.   A few years ago all 3 mth visas were Business Visas , B1 single B2 multi, I can't recall there being a tourist visa.   Maybe they are going back to the old way, albeit at increased cost.😆

Who knows, just go with it & see what happens in July.

I was Blacklisted , went thru the process ( interesting) and are now back in the game......just waiting for the next curve ball.

Okay, this is a long read and is converted to english using google translate. An interpreter may make any changes and enlightedn the rest of us.
The original is at New visa regulations

CONGRESS
--------
Law No. 51/2019 / QH14    SOCIALIST REPUBLIC OF VIET NAM
Independence - Freedom - Happiness
--------------
THE LAW
AMENDMENTS B Drive supplementing a S Uh ARTICLE
OF THE LAW OF ENTRY AND EXIT, TRANSIT AND RESIDENCE
OF FOREIGNERS IN VIETNAM
Pursuant Hi ế n Republic law socialist Vietnam;
Congress enacted the Law amending and supplementing some articles of the Law on Entry, exit, transit and residence of persons abroad: i in Vietnam No. 47/2014 / QH13.
Article 1. To amend and supplement a number of articles of the Law on Entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam
1. To add Clauses 18 and 19 after Clause 17, Article 3 as follows:
"18. Immigration portal is an information portal of the immigration authority, which publishes information, provides online public services, supports searching, linking and storing information. and guide procedures, answer questions related to the field of immigration management.
19. The electronic visa information page is the information page of the Immigration Portal, which has the function of receiving, processing and providing information related to electronic visas. "
2. To amend and supplement Article 7 as follows:
"Article 7.
Visa form and validity 1. Visas may be granted on passports, loose permits or via electronic transactions. Visas issued through electronic transactions are electronic visas.
2. The visa is issued for each person, except for the following cases:
a) Visa under the parent or guardian for children under 14 years of common passports with a parent or guardian;
b) Issue a visa according to the list of personnel approved by the immigration authority for foreigners visiting or traveling by sea or transiting by sea who wish to visit the inland the program is organized by an international travel business in Vietnam; members of foreign military ships who follow the official program of activities outside the province or centrally run city where ships and boats are moored.
3. The visa is valid for one or more visits; e-visas and visas issued for the cases specified at Point b, Clause 2 of this Article are valid for one time.
4. Visas may not be converted for the purpose, except for the following cases:
a) Have proof of being an investor or a representative of a foreign organization investing in Vietnam in accordance with the law of Vietnam;
b) Having documents proving that the relationship is father, mother, wife, husband, children with inviting or guarantee individual;
c) Being invited or guaranteed by agencies or organizations and having work permits or certifications not to be granted work permits according to the provisions of labor legislation;
d) Entering on an electronic visa and obtain a work permit or certify not to be subject to a work permit as prescribed by the labor law.
5. In case of change of visa purposes according to the provisions of Clause 4 of this Article, a new visa shall be granted with a symbol and time limit suitable to the purpose of conversion. The order and procedures for granting new visas comply with Article 19 of this Law. ''.
3. To amend and supplement a number of articles of Article 8 as follows:
a) To amend and supplement Clause 4 as follows:
“4. NG4 - Issued to people who come to work with diplomatic missions, consular offices, representative offices of international organizations affiliated to the UN, representative offices of intergovernmental organizations and their spouses, children under 18 years old to go; people visiting members of diplomatic missions, consular offices, representative offices of international organizations affiliated to the United Nations and representative offices of intergovernmental organizations. ";
b) To amend and supplement Clause 7 as follows:
“7. LS - Issued to foreign lawyers practicing in Vietnam. ”;
c) Clause 7a, 7b, 7c and 7d are added after Clause 7 as follows:
“7a. DT1 - Issued to foreign investors in Vietnam and representatives of foreign organizations investing in Vietnam with a capital contribution of VND 100 billion or more or investment in sectors and trades eligible for investment or geographic The table of investment incentives is decided by the Government.
7b. ĐT2 - Issued to foreign investors in Vietnam and representatives of foreign organizations investing in Vietnam with the contributed capital of from VND 50 billion to less than VND 100 billion or invested in the encouraged industries and trades. Development investment is decided by the Government.
7c. DT3 - Issued to foreign investors in Vietnam and representatives of foreign organizations investing in Vietnam with the contributed capital of from VND 3 billion to less than VND 50 billion.
7d. DT4 - Issued to foreign investors in Vietnam and representatives of foreign organizations investing in Vietnam with contributed capital of less than 03 billion VND. ";
d) To amend and supplement Clause 8 as follows:
“8. DN1 - Issued to foreigners who work with other businesses or organizations with legal status in accordance with the laws of Vietnam. ”;
d) To add Clause 8a after Clause 8 as follows:
“8a. DN2 - Issued to foreigners who offer services, establish a commercial presence, and perform other activities under international treaties to which Vietnam is a signatory. ";
e) To amend and supplement Clause 16 as follows:
“16. LD1 - Issued to foreigners who work in Vietnam with certification not subject to work permit issuance, unless otherwise provided for by the international treaty of which Vietnam is a member. ";
g) Clause 16a is added after Clause 16 as follows:
“16a. LD2 - Issued to foreigners who work in Vietnam who are required to have a work permit. ";
h) To amend and supplement Clause 18

as follows:
"18. TT - Issued to foreigners who are spouses, children under 18 years of age of the foreigners issued with LV1, LV2, LS, DT1, DT2, DT3, NN1, NN2, DH, PV1, LD1, LD2 or foreigners are fathers, mothers, spouses, children of Vietnamese citizens. ";
i) To add Clause 21 after Clause 20 as follows:
“21. EV - Electronic Visas. ”.
4. To amend and supplement a number of articles of Article 9 as follows:
a) To amend and supplement Clause 1 as follows:
“1. SQ, EV visas are valid for up to 30 days. ";
b) To amend and supplement Clause 4 as follows:
“4. NG1, NG2, NG3, NG4, LV1, LV2, DT4, DN1, DN2, NN1, NN2, NN3, DH, PV1, PV2 and TT visas are valid for up to 12 months. ”;
c) To amend and supplement Clause 5 as follows:
“5. The duration of a LĐ1 and LD2 visa is not longer than 02 years. ";
d) Clause 5a is added after Clause 5 as follows:
“5a. ĐT3 visa is valid for up to 3 years. ";
d) To amend and supplement Clause 6 as follows:
“6. LS, DT1 and DT2 visas are valid for up to 5 years. ”;
e) To add Clause 9 after clause 8 as follows:
“9. In cases where an international treaty of which Vietnam is a member contains different provisions, the visa term shall be granted according to the international treaty. "
5. To amend and supplement some of the provisions of Article 10 as follows:
a) To amend and supplement Clause 2 as follows:
“2. Inviting, guaranteeing agencies, organizations and individuals in Vietnam, except for the cases specified in Article 16a, Article 16b and Clause 3 Article 17 of this Law. ";
b) Clause 5 is added after Clause 4 as follows:
“5. Electronic visas issued to foreigners with passports and not specified in Clauses 1, 2, 3 and 4, Article 8 of this Law. "
6. Add the following paragraph 5 to paragraph 4 of Article 11 as follows:
"5. Visas are granted according to the provisions of Point b, Clause 2, Article 7 of this Law. ".
7. To add paragraph 3a after paragraph 3 of Article 12 as follows:
"3a. To enter the coastal economic zone as decided by the Government when fully meeting the following conditions: having an international airport; have separate spaces; have definite geographical boundaries, separate from the mainland; consistent with socio-economic development policies and without prejudice to national defense, national security, social order and safety of Vietnam. "
8. To add paragraph 7 after paragraph 6 of Article 16 as follows:
"7. Agencies and organizations that invite and guarantee foreigners may choose to send visa application documents to foreigners and receive answers via electronic transactions at the information portal on entry and exit if sufficient. Conditions prescribed in Clause 1, Article 16b of this Law. ".
9. To add Article 16a and Article 16b after Article 16 as follows:
"Article 16a. Procedures for electronic visas at the request of foreigners
1. Foreigners applying for electronic visas made as follows:
a) Claim Information visa proposal electronically, upload photos and personal pages passport at the website of electronic visa;
b) Pay the visa issuance fee to the account specified in the e-visa information page after receiving the electronic file code of the immigration authority.
2. Immigration management agencies shall consider, handle and answer e-visa applicants at the e-visa information page within 3 working days after receiving adequate information. Electronic visa issuance and visa issuance fee.
3. Foreigners granted e-visas use the electronic file code to check and print the results of e-visa at the e-visa information page.
Article 16b. Procedures for issuance of electronic visas at the request of agencies and organizations
1. Agencies and organizations prescribed in Clause 2, Article 16 of this Law may apply for e-visas for foreigners when all of the following conditions are met. the following conditions:
a) Having an electronic account issued by an immigration authority as prescribed in Clause 2 of this Article;
b) Have an electronic signature in accordance with the Law on Electronic Transactions.
2. The registration of electronic accounts shall comply with the following provisions:
a) Agencies and organizations send written requests for grant of electronic accounts to immigration management agencies. The request for grant of electronic accounts shall be made only once, except for changes in contents or canceled accounts prescribed in Clause 7 of this Article;
b) The immigration authority shall send a written response and issue an electronic account within 03 working days from the day on which the written request is received by the agency or organization; In case of refusal to grant an electronic account, reply in writing, clearly stating the reason.
3. Agencies and organizations specified in Clause 1 of this Article use electronic accounts to access the website of e-visa issuance website to apply for e-visa for foreigners; pay the visa issuance fee to the account specified in the e-visa information page after receiving the electronic file code of the immigration authority.
4. Immigration management agencies shall consider, handle and reply to agencies and organizations on the e-visa information page within 03 working days from the date of receipt of sufficient information. electronics and visa fees.
5. Agencies and organizations access the electronic visa information page, use the electronic file code to receive answers from immigration authorities and notify foreigners.
6. Foreigners granted e-visas use electronic dossier codes announced by agencies and organizations to print e-visa issuance results on e-visa information page.
7. Electronic accounts are canceled at the request of agencies or organizations having accounts; agencies and organizations that have reorganized accounts, dissolve or go bankrupt or violate the provisions of law on e-transactions and immigration management. Immigration management agencies shall cancel electronic accounts and send written notices to agencies or organizations having accounts. "
10. To add Article 19a after Article 19 in Chapter II as follows:
"Article 19a. Countries with citizens who are granted electronic visas and international border gates allow foreigners to enter and exit with electronic visas
1. The issuance of electronic visas applies to citizens of countries with sufficient Conditions specified in Clause 1, Article 13 of this Law.
2. The Government decides the list of countries where citizens are granted electronic visas; list of international border gates that allow foreigners to enter and exit via electronic visas. ”.
11. To amend and supplement Article 20 as follows:
"Article 20. Conditions for entry
1. Foreigners may enter the country when fully meeting the following conditions:
a) Having a passport or travel document international visas, except for cases of visa exemption under this Law.
Foreigners on entry unilaterally exempt from visas must have a valid passport of at least 06 months;
b) Not falling into cases not yet permitted for entry as prescribed in Article 21 of this Law.
2. Foreigners using electronic entry visas must meet the conditions specified in Clause 1 of this Article and enter through international border gates decided by the Government. ".
12. To amend and supplement Article 27 as follows:
"Article 27. Exit conditions
1. A foreigner may exit when fully meeting the following conditions:
a) Having a passport or travel document international;
b) Valid temporary residence card, temporary residence card;
c) Not falling into the case of suspension of exit specified in Article 28 of this Law.
2. Foreigners using e-visa on exit must meet all the conditions specified in Clause 1 of this Article and exit via international border gates decided by the Government. ".
13. To amend and supplement Clause 1, Article 31 as follows:
"1. A foreigner who has no permanent residence card or a temporary residence card with valid validity shall be granted a temporary residence certificate at the border gate with the following time limit:
a) The temporary residence duration is equal to the visa duration; In case of a DL with a validity period of over 30 days, a temporary residence permit of 30 days shall be considered and the temporary residence extension shall be considered under Article 35 of this Law;
b) For persons who are exempted from visas under international treaties to which Vietnam is a member, the temporary residence duration shall be granted in accordance with the provisions of the international treaties. 30 day stay;
c) For citizens of countries exempted from visa unilaterally by Vietnam, they will be granted temporary residence for 15 days if they enter a special administrative-economic unit or coastal economic zone specified in Clause 3a, Article 12 of this Law. then granting temporary residence places under the provisions of Point d of this Clause;
d) For persons who do not fall into the cases specified at Points a and b of this Clause, enter the border-gate economic zones, they shall be granted temporary residence for 15 days and to special administrative-economic units or coastal economic zones. in Clause 3a, Article 12 of this Law, 30-day temporary residence permits shall be granted. "
14. To amend and supplement Article 36 as follows:
"Article 36. Cases of temporary residence card issuance and temporary residence card symbol
1. Cases of temporary residence card granting include:
a) Foreigners being cities members of diplomatic missions, consular offices, representative offices of international organizations affiliated to the United Nations, intergovernmental organizations in Vietnam and their spouses, children under 18 years old, and housemaid accompany term;
b) Foreigners on entry with visas with the symbols LV1, LV2, LS, DT1, DT2, DT3, NN1, NN2, DH, PV1, LD1, LD2, TT.
2. The symbol of a temporary residence card is prescribed as follows:
a) The temporary residence card specified at Point a, Clause 1 of this Article is symbolized by NG3;
b) The temporary residence card specified at Point b, Clause 1 of this Article has a symbol similar to the visa symbol. ".
15. To amend and supplement a number of articles of Article 37 as follows:
a) To amend and supplement Point d, Clause 1 as follows:
"d) Papers evidencing the cases prescribed in Clause 1, Article 36 of this Law.";
b) To amend and supplement Point b, Clause 2 as follows:
“b) Inviting or guaranteeing agencies, organizations and individuals directly submit dossiers of application for temporary residence cards to foreigners falling into the cases prescribed in Point b, Clause 1, Article 36 of this Law at the immigration management agency where the inviting or guaranteeing agency is headquartered or where the individual invites or guarantees residence; ".
16. To amend and supplement Article 38 as follows:
"Article 38. The validity of temporary residence cards
1. The validity of temporary residence cards to be issued is at least 30 days shorter than the remaining duration of passports.
2. Temporary residence card with the symbol DT1 is valid for not more than 10 years.
3. Temporary residence cards with symbols NG3, LV1, LV2, LS, DT2 and DH are valid for not more than 05 years.
4. Temporary residence cards with symbols NN1, NN2, ĐT3, TT are valid for not more than 03 years.
5. Temporary residence cards with the symbols LD1, LD2 and PV1 are valid for no more than 2 years.
6. Expired temporary residence cards are considered for granting new cards. ".
17. To amend and supplement Clause 2 and supplement Clause 3 after Clause 2, Article 46 as follows:
"2. Stipulating the building, updating, connecting, exploiting and sharing information in the database of entry, exit, transit, and residence of foreigners in Vietnam; coordination mechanism among ministries, ministerial-level agencies and People's Committees of provinces and centrally run cities in the management of entry, exit, transit and residence of foreigners in Vietnam.
3. Provisions of foreigners entering border-gate economic zones, special administrative-economic units or coastal economic zones are exempted from visas specified in Clauses 3 and 3a, Article 12 of this Law. demand to another location of Vietnam; the granting of visas to foreigners entering Vietnam under international treaties to which Vietnam is a member but has no commercial presence or partners in Vietnam; form of temporary residence certificate for foreigners entering Vietnam; foreigners enter and exit through Automatic Control Gate. ".
18. To amend and supplement a number of articles of Article 47 as follows:
a) To amend and supplement Clause 5 as follows:
“5. Control entry, exit and transit at border gates under the management of the Ministry of Public Security in accordance with law. ";
b) Clause 10 is added after Clause 9

as follows:
"10. Building and managing the website of e-visa issuance; Notice of the domain name of the Portal on entry and exit. "
19. To amend and supplement Clause 2, Article 49

as follows:
"2. Control entry, exit, and transit at border gates under the management of the Ministry of National Defense in accordance with law; grant, amend, supplement, cancel visas, grant temporary residence certificates according to the provisions of this Law. ".
Article 2. Implementation effect This Law takes effect on July 1, 2020.
--------------------------------------------------
This Law is passed by the National Assembly of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, term XIV, 8th Session on November 25, 2019.
CHAIRMAN OF THE NATIONAL ASSEMBLY
Signed:
Nguyen Thi Kim Ngan

This apparently is not in effect until July 2020.

From reading the OP article link it does not mention the 1-year Visa option for Americans.

And if it does affect American 1-year Visa, then it provides the option for folks to get out of the house at least once a month for a day trip.

Living off of agent Business Visas year after year - how would Vietnam Imm feel about that.

Personally , after being here in Vietnam for 9 years,  I couldn't imagine NOT leaving on a regular basis.   

It's a great place for a “base” . Spend most of your time here & take side trips to neighbouring countries.    It's cheap.

Sri Lanka , Thailand, Malaysia , Bali , Japan , Phillipines etc are all within cheap easy reach.   I look forward to the regular vIsa runs every 8/10 weeks for me.   

I figured out that only 35% of my annual expenditure is actually spent in Vietnam....even though I'm here maybe 75/80% of the year.

Most of it goes on flights, resorts, restaurants , hire cars etc in other countries.    The idea of a long term retirement visa keeps coming up , but I'd rather be moving in a groove than stuck in a rut.

I don't mind Vietnam being my “transit lounge” & cheap stop over.  If they want us out of here on a regular basis, that's what it will become.

Anyway,,, until they find a vaccine for this vIrus thing & get it knocked on the head,  SE Asia will lose some appeal for travellers.   Wonder what Travel Insurance companies are thinking😳😳

Spoke to a guy this morning who was here in 2003 when the SARS virus surfaced.  Hanoi was virtually giving away hotel rooms to attract tourists.   Massive job losses & you could get an airfare into Vietnam for sweet f#ck all.....even though only a few people in VN died from it.   Media does a good job. 🤓

At the time , about 14,000 were killed on the roads here,,and those figures are only “dead on impact”
I've seen many expats I've personally known here die from suicide, road accidents , trip & fall, and drinking themselves to death.    No one worries about that. 😆

I agree that breaks are needed when you live in Viet Nam anyway. 30 days are too short to my taste though, I can do 2-3 months then enjoy a break elsewhere.
I agree as well that the NCoV situation will drive a ton of people away from here (and around here) even if the situation turns out to be OK in Viet Nam. Tourism is going to hurt a ton. They might want tourists to come back at some point, so let's see what they come up with (more/longer exemptions? longer e-visas? etc.) this year.

Yeah..30days is too often, but doable if we are in that position.  Nha Trang / Bangkok 75min,, Kuala Lumpur  2 hrs.    There's a bit of farting around at airports though.

I've got a plan to rotate Malaysia/ Langkawi 90 days free visa, Bali 60 days VOA, Thailand 60 days with extension......I'm starting to like the look of that.  They all transit thru KL. 

Just travel light.   KL has some really good storage facilities & cheap.  If there's stuff you don't need to carry around, just leave it in KL .

There's 7 months rotation for stuff all vIsa fees ...about $70 .

Yeah, I'll do something like that too if there's no workaround. South Korea also has 90-day exemptions, Singapore too but that is another budget etc. Besides, discounts should be rather aggressive this year if people decide to stay away from this part of the world.
(Just don't forget to get a pretty serious/heavy travel insurance "just in case".)

Mike Wagner wrote:

Yeah, I'll do something like that too if there's no workaround. South Korea also has 90-day exemptions, Singapore too but that is another budget etc. Besides, discounts should be rather aggressive this year if people decide to stay away from this part of the world.
(Just don't forget to get a pretty serious/heavy travel insurance "just in case".)

Insurance...that's the elephant in the room. 

Cambodia has the easiest Retirement Visa facility I've seen.   $290 per annum, renewable in the country & No proof of income or bank bond....if your over 55 .  Cambodia is not everyone's cup of tea though...I've always liked Phnom Penh for a week , but I think long term it wouldn't be a good idea.

Too many ways to get into trouble.    A bored mind in PP isn't what you need.