U.S. Dollar to Vietnam Đồng Exchange Rate

News you didn't expect to hear:

If you had bet on the đồng one year ago, you would be ahead now...

https://gordythomas.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/screenshot_20200102-204956_google-01.jpeg

Some experts believe the U.S. Dollar will continue to weaken:

bloomberg. com/amp/news/articles/2020-01-02/dollar-s-losses-may-be-just-getting-started

I'm having a flashback to the 70's in Germany...

I don't quite understand. It's practically a straight line.
Compare CHF to VND.
There you can talk about profits and losses.

My curreny' Canuck is rising from last year.
Nice to see.
Strengthening against the greenback, ( a tiny bit)

AkaMaverick :

I don't quite understand. It's practically a straight line.
Compare CHF to VND.
There you can talk about profits and losses.

I would have thought you--a consistent critic of American Exceptionalism--would have understood the slightly self-effacing nature of my post.

As we see in an extended ("maximum") chart...

https://gordythomas.files.wordpress.com/2020/01/screenshot_20200102-221747_google-01.jpeg
...the USD has been inexorably strong against the VNĐ, year over year, since the genesis of the Vietnamese currency.

American expats especially have certainly gotten used to seeing exchange rates continually rise in their favor.

So I think even a slight loss for the USD over the course of an entire year is significant, and surely not what many financial "wizards" were forecasting a year ago.

I've read more than a couple of posts in this forum warning people not to trust the VNĐ to maintain its value vs the USD.

As to my Deutschland reference, I lived in the former West Germany when the DM slid from a fairly friendly rate of three DM to USD down to (as I recall) about 1.65 DM per dollar.

That was a terrible jolt to me financially.

So I'm just a tiny bit concerned that the days of living like a fat cat here might be numbered.

OceanBeach92107 :

News you didn't expect to hear:

From the other (Vietnamese) perspective, an article on the strength of the đồng in 2019:

vietnamnews. vn/economy/business-beat/570224/several-positive-factors-keep-dong-steady-against-greenback

The second half of the article covers rumors regarding the limiting of foreign ownership in digital wallet companies (such as Moca).

Ahhhhhhhhh them were the days & 14 or 15% interest on VND term deposits too as I remember. Oh well it is what it is & still better than getting by as a pensioner in the West.