Transfer Money out of Vietnam With Transferwise

Is this possible. I transferred into Vietnamese bank account from UK high street  bank very easily bypassing the RIPPOFF bank charges from the UK banks.( They really are lowlife SCUM )

Just wondering if anyone has done it  the other way from Vietnamese bank back to UK bank. Though the Vietnamese banks are less cheating than the UK banks still it would save a lot

of bank charges. Is this possible?

Not possible unfortunately with either Wise/Revolut or any of the other fintechs. The local banks will allow you to transfer out (i do it regularly to the UK) but they normally ask for wage slips, contract/TRC and PIT details. I do it with HSBC and it's a pain, they ask for the same documents each month even though i've been doing it for 4 years!

Another option is to get your salary here paid into an overseas account and just send in what you need each month.

Is this possible. I transferred into Vietnamese bank account from UK high street bank very easily bypassing the RIPPOFF bank charges from the UK banks.( They really are lowlife SCUM )
Just wondering if anyone has done it the other way from Vietnamese bank back to UK bank. Though the Vietnamese banks are less cheating than the UK banks still it would save a lot
-@Bill2014

Stop trolling, UK bank charges aren't bad. They have business interests. 

Is this possible. I transferred into Vietnamese bank account from UK high street bank very easily bypassing the RIPPOFF bank charges from the UK banks.( They really are lowlife SCUM )
Just wondering if anyone has done it the other way from Vietnamese bank back to UK bank. Though the Vietnamese banks are less cheating than the UK banks still it would save a lot
-@Bill2014

Youre in for a shock with VN banks. We transfered a large sum out legally and the bank fees were nearly 200usd.

-@Bill2014

As Colin mentioned, it's possible but costly IF you can properly document the source of your funds.

However, based on recent feedback from forum members, it can't be done using Wise (formerly TransferWise).

I'm happy to be corrected about that but I'm pretty sure it has to be done bank to bank without the use of an intermediary service.

Wise usually works for bringing money INTO Vietnam, but not for sending out of the country.

As long as your money comes from salary, it's not that difficult/expensive to get money out of VN.

For example Shinhan charges a flat fee of 10USD.

HSBC might be worth looking into as I remember they do free international transfers within HSBC.

It is worth using Wise because they have better exchange rates.

So in my case: I send from VN bank USD account to Wise USD account, then let them convert and send to home country.

BTW: This only works for USD, not for VND, because you can't receive VND on Wise account.

As long as your money comes from salary, it's not that difficult/expensive to get money out of VN.
For example Shinhan charges a flat fee of 10USD.
HSBC might be worth looking into as I remember they do free international transfers within HSBC.
It is worth using Wise because they have better exchange rates.
So in my case: I send from VN bank USD account to Wise USD account, then let them convert and send to home country.
BTW: This only works for USD, not for VND, because you can't receive VND on Wise account.
-@RCP79

So, piecing those two highlighted sentences together, IF you get paid in US Dollars, no problem.

However, the OP said:

I transferred into Vietnamese bank account from UK high street bank very easily...Just wondering if anyone has done it the other way from Vietnamese bank back to UK bank...?
-@Bill2014

So your method wouldn't help him or others attempting to transfer VNĐ (as you have correctly noted).

He did not state the currency.

But yes, if sending USD you can use an intermediate service.

If sending VND, direct send is the best option I found so far.

And in any case you need a proper proof of source.

-@Bill2014
Youre in for a shock with VN banks. We transfered a large sum out legally and the bank fees were nearly 200usd.
-@colinoscapee

You really should not generalise, I too have transferred fairly large sums out of Vietnam this year through VIB & Standard Chartered Bank & just checked, on none of the transactions was I charged more than 1,200,000 vnd in transfer fee's.

-@Bill2014
-@colinoscapee

You really should not generalise, I too have transferred fairly large sums out of Vietnam this year through VIB & Standard Chartered Bank & just checked, on none of the transactions was I charged more than 1,200,000 vnd in transfer fee's.
-@goodolboy

It depends on the amount

,where youre sending it and the currency. It also comes down to the relationship you have with the bank. I didnt generalise, I just stated what it cost us as the OP is thinking he can do a bank transfer for squat, which you and I know wont happen.

Just a quick update: In my quest for affordable international transfers, I found out that Shinhan bank has integrated the Wise platform. More info here

This saves a lot of hassles and makes them a pretty good and affordable option in my opinion.

(I'm not in any way affiliated, just a happy customer :) )

If I want to transfer around 10,000 USD from my Chase account in New York to my dollar account here in  VietcomBank (HCMC).  Which service would have the lowest fee for this transfer?  Wise, SWIFT, other?

If I want to transfer around 10,000 USD from my Chase account in New York to my dollar account here in VietcomBank (HCMC). Which service would have the lowest fee for this transfer? Wise, SWIFT, other?
-@dlewis516

Wise (percentage) is cheaper for smaller amounts.

For me (Schwab) a wire transfer (flat fee) for that amount would be much cheaper.

If you had over $25,000 in a Schwab International Account, I'm pretty sure the wire transfer would be free.

Check with Chase for the best solution they offer.

Never tried sending USD into Vietnam.

Agreed with OceanBeach92107 that probably flat fee wire transfer is cheapest.

Sending from Vietnam (USD) to my US (USD) account normally costs me about 30USD total.

(10USD bank charge + 20USD Swift charge)

Just for comparison you can try it on Wise website.

Before the final step they will quote you what it cost.