Advice required on buying a property as a non resident

Hi
Myself and my wife are planning on buying a property in Amsterdam , our son lives there but we will not be residents , we will be cash buyers so will not require a mortgage , so looking for as much advice as possible with regards to the legalities etc and how we would register to pay tax as this property will be rented , thanks in advance
Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Welcome to Expat.com!

You can also have a look at this article : Buying property in Amsterdam

Good luck,
Christine

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

In addition to Christine's advice, the only disadvantage, I can see is that you won't be tax-resident in the Netherlands, so won't be able to claim any of the tax benefits you may otherwise be entitled to.

Perhaps speak to HMRC and see if you can claim anything on your UK tax?  There is a double-taxation agreement in place between the Netherlands and the United Kingdom, so you shouldn't be charged income tax twice; you should, however, watch out for Social taxes in the Netherlands as these are not part of the agreement.

Thinking about it, if you have that amount of money to pay cash for a house in Amsterdam (very expensive), then perhaps you should speak to a Dutch finance/mortgage/tax adviser as there is a little voice reminding me of some advice we received here, that being "never use your own money to buy a house in the Netherlands when you can use somebody else's", maybe that's changed and for that amount of money, it's best to be sure.  You'll probably find some of these people advertising their services in our Services section (top of the screen, drop-down menu).

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

I am wondering if you actually have looked at any houses and their prices in Amsterdam. There are not many available and the ones available are absurdly priced.

Also we Dutch don't buy our homes cash only, so be prepared for lots of hurdles.

hi, its an apartment we are looking to buy, why would there be lots of hurdles ? thought the seller would be more than happy with someone who is not waiting on mortgage approval etc

hi , I'm actually not  a UK resident any more , I'm an expat myself in Cyprus so will check this out , thanks

blondie76 wrote:

hi , I'm actually not  a UK resident any more , I'm an expat myself in Cyprus so will check this out , thanks

Which part of Cyprus, Greek or Turkish?  If you're in the north, you may have a tax issue as the Netherlands Government doesn't recognise Northern Cyprus.

we live in the area under control of the Republic of Cyprus (south ) which is a full EU member , the green line (UN buffer zone ) is at the end of our street , the north isn't recognized by anyone except Turkey

blondie76 wrote:

hi, its an apartment we are looking to buy, why would there be lots of hurdles ? thought the seller would be more than happy with someone who is not waiting on mortgage approval etc

People in the Netherlands just don't buy houses with cash. It is not attractive taxes wise, it will be lots cheaper with an mortgage.

For the seller it doesn't make a lot of difference their house will sell quickly in the current market.

My advice would be to go talk to an expert and let them tell you the ins and outs of buying in the Netherlands.
We have a whole different set of ways then other countries.