Clarifying Tax on U.S. Expats in Colombia

Does your lawyer charge Gringo prices? What services do you use her for?

The only lawyer I knpw of in Manizales is a crook..

Sounds like a great idea...some conversation and coffee!

My husband and I are still 10 yrs away from retirement, but Medellin is on our list, along with MX, Spain, and Italy.  The tax issue definitely is one we plan on studying a lot more.

In our case, we would both have Gov pensions ( mine close to $17,000 and his $14,000), and  any withdrawals from our Roth IRA and Traditional IRA's to pad the pension income.  We would both be 62 at the time, so we were thinking of waiting to collect Social Security.  Our savings, and the proceeds from the sale of our home at the time would likely be around a total of $400,000. We were thinking of selling our house a year prior to retirement and rent.  That way we can scale down on any unwanted things we don't plan on hauling with us when we retire, and just focus on the paperwork, etc. needed to get our residency  in our country of choice.

No one can see the future with great accuracy, except perhaps with some luck.  No one knows how strong or weak the US dollar might be 10 years from now.  No one knows how bad inflation might be in any country.

But now, your combined pensions of $31K or so would give you a solid upper-middle-class existence in Colombia.  Perhaps not so much in some parts of Medellín, but there are many other areas in Colombia that are cheaper, safer, more picturesque and with nicer weather.  But everyone has their own wants and needs.

Ecuador might be a place to consider if only for one reason:  They do not tax foreign pensions, or any foreign income.  Ecuador is perhaps a bit backward compared to Colombia, but many places in Ecuador offer all the modern amenities and also less crime overall.

If you are able and willing to keep working, your Social Security goes up some 8% per year assuming your full retirement age is 66.  So if you retired at the maximum age of 70 you would get 132% of what you would get at age 66.

It might also be possible to down-size from your current home, and purchase a smaller, less-expensive home close to an airport which has good prices and service to overseas destinations - and spend part of the year in the US and part in your overseas home (which could be and perhaps should be a rental).  And/or travel to other destinations as well.

The one thing overall I would recommend is to be flexible.  No need to lock yourself in to something that you later could not change easily or cheaply.

I would not move any financial assets outside the U.S.  I would rent an AirBnb for six months in Medellin to see how I like it.  I would then maybe try Ecuador for a few months and then maybe Spain.  We have some friends that have been moving around the world like that for over twenty years and they really enjoy that kind of living.

Thank you for the suggestions. Our financial advisor here keeps telling that we should  be more than fine with combined amounts in our IRA's to pad the pension and wait on SS, and not really keen on the thought of working past 62.   We also have two lots in Belize on Ambergris Caye that we will eventually sell. My husband bought them over 10 years ago, and he has family there. But we scratched it off our list because we would like a bit more culture/city life, as well as access to better medical care in our retirement years.

Some of our friends think we are crazy always talking about retirement plans. But it takes time to research,  go visit an area once, twice, three times.  Last year we went to Merida, MX…lots going to there, but I think the heat would drain me. That's why Medellin appeals to us.

Ridgebackmix wrote:

We also have two lots in Belize on Ambergris Caye that we will eventually sell. My husband bought them over 10 years ago, and he has family there. But we scratched it off our list because we would like a bit more culture/city life, as well as access to better medical care.

Dear Ridgebackmix,

If the Belize properties are not on the market yet, I would make arrangements to get them sold or at least shown.

Properties in Latin America that do not have adequate access to medical care and urban culture are a questionable investment.  More importantly, properties in this region can take multiple years to sell, so the sooner on the market, the less time the potential sale will drag on.  Closings can be grindingly slow in many cases.  Typically, the way to move property in a buyer's market is to mark down the price until interested parties appear.

cccmedia

Ridgebackmix wrote:

Last year we went to Merida, MX…lots going to there, but I think the heat would drain me.

I used to fly in to Mérida, México in the 1980s and really enjoyed it for the culture and the people and the relative safety back then, to be able to rent a car and drive around.  I'm not sure it's as safe anymore.  And you're right, the heat there can be really oppressive at any time of the year...

You are correct. You need to stay in the US, or Taiwan, anywhere but Colombia. It can get complicated. Having said that, I love it here and pay very little in the way of taxes outside of my US tax obligations. I have a good accountant who contacts DIAN and they tell her what my tax contribution will be. It's surprisingly low every year.

Landstryker wrote:

I pay very little in the way of taxes outside of my US tax obligations. I have a good accountant who contacts DIAN and they tell her what my tax contribution will be. It's surprisingly low every year.

Hello, Martha.  We rarely get as unqualified a recommendation on this forum for a good accountant as you just gave.

Are you willing to give out her contact information to benefit other members, either on the forum or via PM private messaging?

FYI to other members... Expats may successfully hire accountants and attorneys from cities other than where they live in Colombia .. or stayed previously.

cccmedia

Landstryker wrote:

You need to stay in the US, or Taiwan, anywhere but Colombia. It can get complicated. Having said that, I love it here and pay very little in the way of taxes outside of my US tax obligations.

Care to elaborate on this apparent contradiction, Martha?

It's definitely different visiting somewhere and living full time.  I just don't think I could tolerate living in a hot and humid climate.  I've been to Colombia twice…fist time in 2011.  The climate in Medellin is very appealing.

BTW, has there ever been talk of a tax treaty with the US similar to the EU?

Ridgebackmix wrote:

We were thinking of selling our house a year prior to retirement and rent.  That way we can scale down on any unwanted things we don't plan on hauling with us when we retire, and just focus on the paperwork, etc. needed to get our residency  in our country of choice.

Brilliant! :up:

Too many arriving Expats wind up spending their first months with one foot figuratively stuck in their original country, dealing with moving stuff to their South American destination.

And/or they are putting time and energy into buying a place in the new destination .. before they really know that the new place is right for them on a long-term basis. :dumbom:

Ridgebackmix and her husband have the right priorities. :top:

cccmedia

be ready to pay fees, for lack of a better word for most services, it is difficult to setup a bank account and takes 5 years to get citizenship in Colombia. be wary of buying real estate, if you do you will find it exasperating, lengthy, and riddled with extra fees at every turn. then there are taxes you will need to address and will need a good lawyer. a decent lawyer is crucial and hard to find.  if you look into buying real estate watch out as anyone can sell real estate; we got hoodwinked by a guy who purports to sell "the colombian dream vacation home."

Jerig wrote:

be wary of buying real estate, if you do you will find it exasperating, lengthy, and riddled with extra fees at every turn. then there are taxes you will need to address and will need a good lawyer.

Real estate taxes are rarely the focus of disenchanted Expat home buyers .. although Jeri's experience may be worse than average.  The possibility she notes about exasperation and long, drawn-out transactions is real.  Potentially, the most exasperation comes when an Expat discovers he/she cannot readily unload a property after realizing the home/area/departamento they chose was not a good long-term choice.

The big knock on Colombia when it comes to taxation is the opaque system of taxation on worldwide income.

Even the accountants in Colombia -- and I questioned a number of them the year after I spent more than 10 consecutive months in La República -- cannot agree on an Expat's tax obligation regarding income gained outside Colombia's borders.

One accountant (a referral from a top attorney) said I owed $8,000 US.  Another accountant said I owed nothing.  A third accountant said it would cost me $900 for him to figure out what I owed.

It has been widely reported that if you spend more than half the year in Colombia, or more than 183 days out of any 365 consecutive days in-country, the tax agency La DIAN can clip you for a chunk of your worldwide income.  I have seen occasional anecdotal reports on Expat forums of La DIAN pursuing an Expat, but these are few and far between.

Many Expats apparently keep a low profile in Colombia to stay off DIAN radar .. possibly considering a back-door strategy for the perhaps unlikely event that they may get targeted for overdue taxes and penalties.

From time to time, an Expat posts about how 'tax residents' should proactively do the right thing by Colombia.  Other posters have posited that Colombia's Inmigración may have been developing digital capabilities to inform the tax agency which Expats have overstayed their six months and automatically became tax residents for given year(s).

But in the era of The Situation, nobody outside the government seems to know for sure of any financial consequences an Expat faces if the individual is determined to duck the supposed worldwide tax system that snowbirds learned to fear.

cccmedia

Actually, I'm gay. LOL. No worries 😉

Good morning. 
What if someone had an income of $150,000 US?
Could you explain (detail)  the tax liability of a US Citizen residing in Colombia with the following:
Pension income $150,000 US? 
Rents an apartment and has minimal assets.
Maybe this would help resolve the conversation about a $30,000 Colombian tax liability?
Thanks

Ronaldo / i am not a tax accountant thats why i hired a competent and skilled tax firm to provide those services. I can prove name etv to you.

Thank you for responding.  I sometimes use the same accountant in MDE that most use.  Unfortunately, she has raised her fees substantially. 

I was looking for opinions and practical tax experience from members with high pension incomes.

Im curious if anyone knows if 401k or IRA account appreciation is taxed in Colombia, even though they are tax free in the US? I had an accountant who said the Dian doesn't recognize the tax benefits so any stock appreciation in such accts would be taxed as normal stock transactions which is a major bummer. They would also tax gross income, not after 401k allocation. Similarly he said that if you have stock carry forward losses those won't be considered by the DIan for tax purposes. Also, most deductions accepted in the US aren't recognized here. I'm hoping someone here can tell me he is wrong?

jmckenna71 wrote:

Im curious if anyone knows if 401k or IRA account appreciation is taxed in Colombia, even though they are tax free in the US? I had an accountant who said the Dian doesn't recognize the tax benefits so any stock appreciation in such accts would be taxed as normal stock transactions which is a major bummer.... Similarly he said that if you have stock carry forward losses those won't be considered by the DIan for tax purposes. Also, most deductions accepted in the US aren't recognized here. I'm hoping someone here can tell me he is wrong?

Dear jmckenna,

Welcome to the Colombia forums of Expat.com ...

It shouldn't be hard to find a tax expert who disagrees with said accountant.

And it's worth the effort to look for a sharper accountant.

Money that appreciates inside a brokerage account, regardless of whether it is theoretically a taxable account, is not income if left inside the account.  While Colombia could lay claim to assets that appreciated and were subsequently distributed/withdrawn, the tax agency  would be overstepping if it tried to tax unrealized potential profits still inside the account.

Appreciated assets taken in a distribution out of a retirement account, if considered income, should be taxed at the lower capital gains rate (provided the asset holding period exceeds any time limit that is relevant).  In Colombia, inheritances have historically been considered capital gains.  Capital gains have been taxed at ten percent in Colombia.

----

Choose an accountant who will advocate for you paying the lowest tax amounts legally permitted .. and watch out for the other kind and for Expats who want other  Expats to pay more than is necessary due to a questionably-informed interpretation of tax-collection realities in Colombia.

The deductions accepted by La DIAN may vary from year to year.  Make sure your tax expert is up to date.

Some taxes already paid in the USA are generally deductible from one's Colombia tax obligation.  Since the annual tax-reporting requirement is several months later in Colombia compared to the USA requirement, demonstrating such deductions to La DIAN may not be a problem.

cccmedia in Ipiales, Nariño

Simple / integrity works

Sure / you are in colombia / everybody will gringo guoge. Have nots want the haves have. I have a simple solution - No - F*** Y** that is global acceptable

@OsageArcher

Thank you very much for your insight. I was about to change my mind on moving to Colombia but with your write up, my hope has been renewed! You made some

illustrations in that piece but please, can you kindly further clarify by responding to this. Let's say, someone getting a pension of $12k annually and it's already taxed in the USA. Plus a social security payment of $10k that is not taxed in the USA. How much deductions and taxes will the person be paying in Colombia? Please, kindly use this situation to clarify the matter. Again, thank you very much for your insight.

Thank you very much for your insight. I was about to change my mind on moving to Colombia. I saw the illustrations that you made. Please, let's use another one. If a person's pension
@bolafrica do a search for
taxation in colombia
...and read the Wikipedia article.  There is 0% tax on income up to 1400 UVT, which is about 13.3K USD at the 1 USD = 4000 COP rate.

Then on income between 1400 - 1700 UVT (1 UVT = 38004 COP for 2022), your income is taxed at a 19% rate, and 28% after 1700 UVT.  Your income never gets to the 33% rate which starts at 4100 UVT.

You just have to do the math - and that's the upper limit of what you could pay, since there are deductions you might be able to take.

You really have to consult several Colombian tax preparers and pick the one you like best, who can back up their calculations by citing the laws.
This subject keeps going over and over for years on various Forums

The real answer is DIAN will gladly take any amount of money you willingly give them..
Expats would do well to disregard the Danger Man's cheeky suggestion.

An intelligent alternative is this:  keep a low profile when it comes to La DIAN or agencies (i.e., Inmigración) that may interface with La DIAN.

Ways to keep a low profile include:  not spending more than half your time in Colombia .. not buying property in Colombia .. receiving income outside Colombia to the extent possible .. and following Colombia's laws as you understand them and in accordance with common sense.

cccmedia
Good to see some familiar icons/pseudos alive and well after so many years.  I've been living in Ecuador since March 2012.  I am considering moving to Colombia, or spending part of the year there in order to enjoy some of your "eternal spring weather".

I have read through many of the comments but not all, so I understand many of the general tax considerations for Colombia expats, at least pre-Petro tweaking.

My question is concerning regular IRA Accounts.

Concerning regular IRA accounts, are increases in account balances due to dividends, interest, and capital gains taxable, or only taxable when distributed? Please cite your source if you have one and state whether you have been audited by Colombian tax authorities. Thanks.
What someone tells you now, may not be the case if Petro gets his way with "tax reform" - which means collecting more in taxes from everyone, with many new taxes on goods and services as well as income.

For instance he wants to increase the capital gains tax, on ganancias ocasionales, to 30%.  He is proposing a tax on gaseosas, not for the money he says but because they're not good for you, because of the sugar.  Never mind that the sugar industry in Colombia is quite big and provides thousands and thousands of jobs.  He seems to want to use taxes to punish people, and be a government nanny to everyone, for their own good, of course.  He proposes doing away with the days-without-paying-IVA (VAT) which many poor wait for to avoid paying that 19% tax on goods (and maybe increasing the IVA to 20% as well).

But for now, only income - that's when it's distributed - is reported and taxed on your declaración de renta.  Growth when it's in an account is not taxed as income. BUT it might be considered as an asset and liable to the wealth tax, the impuesto al patrimonio, if your assets total 5000 million pesos (about 1.19 million USD) or more - he is floating the idea of lowering that threshold to 2000 million pesos (about 475,000 USD).

All the above except sales taxes only applies if you become a fiscal resident, a tax resident, of Colombia.  This occurs only when you have spent more than 183 total days in-country in any 365 day period not limited by calendar year.  Colombia then asserts the right to tax your world-wide income at the rates found here, scroll about halfway down:

Note that 1 UVT for 2022 equals 38,004 COP and then you must do the calculations using the exchange rate - but for now, up to about $12K USD annual income you pay 0%, then 19%, then 28%, then 33%, at the UVT limits specified in the tax table.

You could do a search for
petro impuestos nuevos

But all of it depends if he can get his proposals through the congress.  So what applies now may not apply later this year or later in his 4-year term.  Or not.  It's all up in the air.

Another good site that seeks to explain Colombia's tax system is
For instance he wants to increase the capital gains tax, on ganancias ocasionales, to 30%.  He is proposing a tax on gaseosas, not for the money he says but because they're not good for you, because of the sugar. 

Ecuador has a tax on sugar-based drinks as well.  Many companies switched from sugar to artificial sweeteners.  Certain Brands/flavors don't even make a distinction. For instance, if you buy Sprite or any fruity soft drink, they don't call it "diet".  It is just Sprite.
He proposes doing away with the days-without-paying-IVA (VAT) which many poor wait for to avoid paying that 19% tax on goods (and maybe increasing the IVA to 20% as well).

In Ecuador, we have a 12% IVA although food products that are staples like milk/eggs/rice/veggies etc. are exempt from it. I would think a leftist like Petro would want to reduce IVA for food products or focalize it like here in Ecuador.
But for now, only income - that's when it's distributed - is reported and taxed on your declaración de renta.  Growth when it's in an account is not taxed as income.
Hopefully the Colombia auditors have learned to distinguish between regular IRA accounts vs. Roth accounts since as you know, distributions from Roth accounts can be either taxable or non-taxable in the U.S.A, since the accounts are funded with post-taxable income.

BUT it might be considered as an asset and liable to the wealth tax, the impuesto al patrimonio, if your assets total 5000 million pesos (about 1.19 million USD) or more - he is floating the idea of lowering that threshold to 2000 million pesos (about 475,000 USD).

That lower threshold would be a reason why I might have to border hop between Ecuador and Colombia.  I could still buy an apartment in Colombia possibly, but I would have to get by without a cedula. According to a real estate agent at Medellin Adviser, I could pay the regular utility bills without a cedula since the building handles it, but internet connection would require assistance from a third party with a cedula in order to get internet hooked up.

Note that 1 UVT for 2022 equals 38,004 COP and then you must do the calculations using the exchange rate - but for now, up to about $12K USD annual income you pay 0%, then 19%, then 28%, then 33%, at the UVT limits specified in the tax table.
In the U.S. a single person for 2022  has a 0% tax rate on up to 12,900. However, long-term capital gains are at a 0% tax rate if your taxable income is around $41,000.  This year and next year I am selling individual stocks I hold (outside an  IRA account) in order to realize capital gains in order to tax advantage of my 0% tax rate and to possibly prevent Colombia from taxing them at 19% or 28%, whatever the case may be, if I were to move there.

Non-sugared beverages.

This is my take on Colombia soft drinks based on
my past months in Medellín and Bucaramanga
this year.

Mr. Barley is correct that, more and more,
the beverage makers are producing products
with no sugar added.

He is also correct that the labeling often
does not seem to
stress the absence of sugar.  Sometimes you
have to turn the bottle around and look for
the sugar grams listed as AZUCARES.

On the small to medium size bottles I
typically buy, the lettering is so tiny I am
unable to determine what substance is
being used instead of sugar to
sweeten the beverage.

When I go to a casino, I bring small
Stevia packets with me.  I order
tea or its Colombian equivalent
sin azúcar and proceed to sweeten
the beverage with the Stevia.

cccmedia in Santander
"Hopefully the Colombia auditors have learned to distinguish between regular IRA accounts vs. Roth accounts since as you know, distributions from Roth accounts can be either taxable or non-taxable in the U.S.A, since the accounts are funded with post-taxable income."

As of todays date, for the last 20 plus years there are no "Auditors" for Expats to worry about in Colombia, and US IRS information-IRA vs Roth, whatever,  is as far over their (DIAN employees) heads as Quantum Mechanics is for a primary school   science student.

But with DIAN getting an injection of cash, and hiring 1000 plus employees (similar to the IRS changes in the US) , that may soon change...they still probably wont be bothered by minute US Tax details, but could be potentially just "broad stroke" harrassing expats to "Pay Up"..and if they have any bank accounts in Colombia , freezing them, as well as putting an "embargo" on property.

If you are worried about taxes, it is better just to come to Colombia for 183 days a year, or look somewhere else to settle , as with the new government, things are at best  not going to get any better, and more likely only going to get a lot worse. I Definitely would not consider buying property, businesses, or putting a lo of money in Colombian bank accounts at this time, unless the threat of losing said assets,is "no skin off your back".
Ccccmedia:

Even the accountants in Colombia -- and I questioned a number of them the year after I spent more than 10 consecutive months in La República -- cannot agree on an Expat's tax obligation regarding income gained outside Colombia's borders.

One accountant (a referral from a top attorney) said I owed $8,000 US.  Another accountant said I owed nothing.  A third accountant said it would cost me $900 for him to figure out what I owed.
Per Langon Colombia, an international law firm:

Note that there is some debate in the accounting/tax community in Colombia as to whether these thresholds should measure Colombian-only activity or whether they need to include activity on a worldwide basis. Our accountants interpret the relevant rules to include worldwide activity.
Langon Colombia also said:

Foreign Residents. If you plan to actually reside in Colombia the risk involved in not filing a local tax return increases substantially, particularly for foreigners who own businesses and/or invest in local assets like real estate. It is not uncommon for local tax authorities to attempt to seize personal assets in order to satisfy local tax obligations.

It should be noted that tax collection has become a significant imperative for the Colombian government as a result of the massive economic downturn caused by the Covid pandemic. We expect tax enforcement to ramp up as the local government attempts to secure as much tax revenue as possible over the medium and long-term
For Colombian expats who have filed in Colombia, can you confirm that form 110 is what you filed:

"It is not uncommon for local tax authorities
to attempt to seize personal assets
in order to satisfy local tax obligations."

-- Langon law firm (based in Medellín)

----

Thank you N.B., for passing along this
important citation.

This citation alone should be enough
to dissuade Expats from buying a home
or other real property in Colombia.

The Langon firm is a solid outfit,
headed by a bi-lingual graduate
of Harvard Law School.

The citation shows that not only La DIAN
but also local governments can attempt
to seize your property if they determine
you owe back taxes.

cccmedia
Langon is not the answer
to keep Expat taxes low.

I like Langon.  I hired them in
2016 to get my one-year visa
application approved.  The
effort was a success.

I liked their work so much I
hired them again to prepare
my will.

I also asked them to advise me
on taxes I potentially owed for
a period that mostly included the
2017 Colombia tax year.

The accountant they sent my
way is the one who concluded
that my tax obligation for that year
was over $8,000 US.

Fortunately for me, by then I was
savvy enough to know that
Colombia's tax law was
hard to interpret .. and subject
to various interpretations by
various experts.

In all, I queried four accountants and
a tax attorney.

I ultimately chose to follow the
advice of an accountant who
determined I owed no taxes
to Colombia.

cccmedia

Langdon Law said-

"Foreign Residents. If you plan to actually reside in Colombia the risk involved in not filing a local tax return increases substantially, particularly for foreigners who own businesses and/or invest in local assets like real estate. It is not uncommon for local tax authorities to attempt to seize personal assets in order to satisfy local tax obligations."

[Moderated]

I know dozens of of expats and locals in Colombia and nobody knows any EXPAT who has had their property  threatened or Bank account frozen by DIAN.

There is some guy on another expat site who  clames that his (obscure) bank froze his account because he did not fill in formalrio 160 (for patrimonial tax), but he is not just "in DIANS radar", but has put himself in the position of actually "Blocking" DIANS radar.

But anyway, what they give is good advice, because things may very well change in the future, with the new president talking "taxes, taxes, taxes", going after those who make more than $10 million,espescially tax "evaders"  hiring at least a 1000 new auditers, and their new "Modernization" program

If you are a high income earner, and scared of potentially paying a lot more taxes, dont spend more than 183 days in Colombia, and dont invest anything you arent willing to lose in Colombia.
Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Potentially defamatory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Fortunately for me, by then I was savvy enough to know that Colombia's tax law was hard to interpret .. and subject to various interpretations by various experts
I looked on DIAN's website for guidance on the topic and came up with the following citation. I would like to know what reasoning and/or code/court citations some of those accountants use to argue against the applicability of world wide income to foreign residents. I may have to wait until I am there, although I may go on fishing expedition and email Langdon.

Las personas naturales, nacionales o extranjeras, residentes en el país están sujetas al Impuesto Sobre la Renta y Complementarios en lo concerniente a sus rentas y ganancias ocasionales, tanto de fuente nacional como de fuente extranjera, y a su patrimonio poseído dentro y fuera del país.
Yes, N.Barley, that first paragraph is quite clear at least to me!  If you are a resident (tax resident, fiscal resident) your income and assets are subject to being taxed, wherever they come from and wherever they are.

The second paragraph that follows makes it clear that if you are not a tax resident, well, never mind!  But still, that any assets in Colombia, or income gained in Colombia, may be subject to being taxed:

Las personas naturales, nacionales o extranjeras que no tengan residencia en el país y las sucesiones ilíquidas de causantes sin residencia en el país en el momento de su muerte solo están sujetas al Impuesto Sobre la Renta y Complementarios respecto a sus rentas y ganancias ocasionales de fuente nacional y respecto de su patrimonio poseído en el país.

It's also quite clear who Colombia (DIAN) considers a tax resident:  Anyone who spends more than 183 days in-country in any 365 day period:

But also, remember this is Colombia - the laws are not applied the same everywhere, and the penalties for not following the rules may or may not be imposed, sometimes depending only on the whim and/or the knowledge of the bureaucrat(s) involved...