Clarifying Tax on U.S. Expats in Colombia

As a  Colombian lawyer once told me

"La ley escrita y la ley tal como se practica son dos cosas diferentes en Colombia"

"written law and the law as practiced are 2 totally different things in Colombia."

But of course  with pressure on DIAN to collect taxes, a bunch of new employees coming online, if they get a commission "insentive" for the money they bring in, things could change, and they may interpret the law to the other extreme, to the point of being totalitarian, without allowing  legal challenges to their edicts.

Look what happened to happened to Shakira in  Spain as an example of what can happen, in the worst case.
On a separate note, Petros goal is to collect about  $6 billion US in new taxes anually.

With this $6billion extra he plans to give everyone froo university education, free pensions, free health care, government jobs for the unemployed , and pay down the deficit.

The poverty level in Colombia is around 40%. Thats 20 million people. $6 billion a Year divided by 20 million is around $350 a year per person, or $30 a month , or around 120,000 pesos per every man , women and child below the poverty line per month.

There is no way this can pay for all those "freebies" he wants , let alone pay down the deficit.

Seems that Petro and his supporters are lacking in math skills. You can bet he wont be emphasizing mayth, business or eci¿onomics in his free university courses, because that would mean the uneducated masses will figure out they are being "had" (which will occur a lot sooner than he thinks, I hope.
@nico peligro
Dont worry be happy they wanna *** then you ** them by spending your money elsewhere I am planning on spending 6 months in Portugal 6 months in Colombia
@Laker,

First, the name of the firm is Langon, not Langdon.

Second, Alan, the founder and principal attorney, is highly
principled.  If you further allege that he is or may be lying,
you'll be hearing from the Expat.com Home Office.
I'm flagging it anyway as libelous.

cccmedia, member, Expat.com experts team
The previous post was incorrectly addressed.

It should have been addressed to Nico.

cccmedia
@cccmedia Please Stop being so sensitive  and authoritarian  ccc.

I am not sure Mr. Langon really cares that much

OK "Lieing" may be too strong of a word

Mis representation is a better word .

He said it is "common Practice" that DIAN has been freezing bank accounts of people they are targetting.

He did not mention it was EXPATS. But in the context it was written, it was taken to be happening to expats. Maybe it was the Poster who posted the quotation, posted it in the wrong context. Maybe Mr. Langon never insinuated this.

And I can tell you that ar this point in history, yep, as far as some Colombian citizens  that had bank accounts in Panama and the like, this has happened , but as far as being "common occurence" for Expats, based on not reproting foriegn assets and income. this is JUST NOT TRUE. PUNTO CERRADO

So if this is truly, his  (Mr. Langon,s) belief, and he doesnt accept criticism of this false (at this point in history) belief , he can come and sue me. Good luck with that.

I am only speaking what I see as the truth, based on hundreds of expats myself and others know. Nobody has heard of this, to date.

Cheers

Nico

Semana has a good article on the latest proposed Colombian tax changes in the new reforma tributaria.

Bottom line...anyone newly considering to stay in Colombia more than 183 days a year or considering investiing or purchasing anything here should have their head examined.
Of course, those making the bare minimum on social security may not have to worry, but then getting a visa will be a lot more difficult, if not imposible, because of changing rules, and gettiing reasonable health care definitely imposible, because of age.
He did not mention it was EXPATS. But in the context it was written, it was taken to be happening to expats. Maybe it was the Poster who posted the quotation, posted it in the wrong context. Maybe Mr. Langon never insinuated this.

The article was written by an international law firm in English. The title of the article is "Filing Personal Taxes in Colombia: A Comprehensive Guide".  The guide is intended principally for resident or nonresident foreigners who happen to read English, which includes most Colombian expats. Of course, I doubt the majority of U.S. expats in colombia are real estate or business owners, but that is just a guess.

Of course, those making the bare minimum on social security may not have to worry, but then getting a visa will be a lot more difficult, if not imposible, because of changing rules.
To qualify for pensioners visa you will still only need 3 times the minimum wage according to resolution 5477 passed July 22, 2022.  Of course, the minimum wage could go up, but I haven't read anything about that.  However, with the weaker peso, you need fewer dollars each month of a pension to qualify. Also, the weaker peso means that the threshold for being to subject to the 19% marginal rate might be around $14,000 instead of $12,000. At least that is how I see it as somebody who is just getting introduced to Colombian tax laws.
Also, the weaker peso means that the threshold for being to subject to the 19% marginal rate might be around $14,000 instead of $12,000.

I believe you have this backwards.  The weaker the Colombian peso is, the fewer US dollars it takes to reach the 19% marginal rate.

Here's the math:  The 19% rate starts at 1400 UVT.  Since for 2022 each UVT is 38,004 COP, 1400*38004 = 53,205,600 COP, where the 19% rate starts.

At today's rate of 1 USD = 4345.24 COP, you reach the 1400 UVT threshold at 53205600/4345.24 or only $12,244.57 USD.

For 53,205,600 COP to be worth $14,000 USD, the exchange rate would have to be 53205600/14000 or 1 USD = 3800.4 COP which would be a stronger peso than it is now.

It just happens to be a coincidence, that you picked $14,000 and thus the math for that would have to be that 1 UVT = exactly $10 USD in your example.

Im curious if anyone knows if 401k or IRA account appreciation is taxed in Colombia, even though they are tax free in the US? I had an accountant who said the Dian doesn't recognize the tax benefits so any stock appreciation in such accts would be taxed as normal stock transactions which is a major bummer. They would also tax gross income, not after 401k allocation. Similarly he said that if you have stock carry forward losses those won't be considered by the DIan for tax purposes. Also, most deductions accepted in the US aren't recognized here. I'm hoping someone here can tell me he is wrong?

- @jmckenna71

I went to the DIAN specifically to ask this question about 401k and IRA:  They replied that 401k nor IRA accounts are taxed in Colombia.  Once you take the money out, that would be considered income...but they are NOT considered as part of the wealth tax, nor are the gains considered income, until you start withdrawal.

US deductions are not recognized here either...So, if you take the $22,500 deduction (I think that's the latest standard for filing jointly), you cannot reduce your income by that amount in Colombia.  You also cannot carry losses...DIAN doesn't care about those...
By backing away from the potentially libelous
allegation against the founder of Langon Law,
Nico has made the smart move.

---

The Home Office expects me to report to them
any potentially libelous posts, as our sites'
continued operation in most jurisdictions
depends on staying on the right side of
any legally questionable issues.  It's not a
matter of being "authoritarian" (Nico's word).
We invite you to review the terms and
conditions of Expat.com ...

---

Since Nico has continued to discuss
or speculate about "Mr. Langon,"
I also point out that Nico has been
misidentifying the principal and founder
of Langon Law.  His name is Alan Gongora ..
and the firm's name Langon is
an amalgamation of parts of
Alan's first and last names.

cccmedia, member, Expat.com experts team
Petro Administration Plans Crackdown
on Tax Evasion.

President Petro's new finance chief,
Antonio Ocampo, has announced the
administration's intention to raise
25-trillion pesos or 5.7 billion US
through a Tax Reform program including
a crackdown on tax evasion.

Ocampo is a celebrated economist who
has served in top-level positions in
several past Colombia administrations.

In an interview with Reuters, Ocampo
said Petro's social-justice programs will
be "impossible" to fund without the
Tax Reform.

He said tax evasion is enormous in
Colombia.

---

Based on the report of the Reuters
interview as e-published at
the Petro Administration's crackdown
on tax evaders does not appear to
be directly specifically at Expats.

cccmedia in Bucaramanga
@cccmedia

Based on the report of the Reuters interview as e-published at www.cuencahighlife.com,
the Petro Administration's crackdown on tax evaders does not appear to be directed specifically at Expats.
Someone left a comment at CHL that implies that many expats in Ecuador understate their income to IESS ( gov health insurance) in order to receive a lower premium.  I was thinking that if IESS communicated with the ministry of foreign relations, they should at least know what an expat reported from Social Security or other pension income for their pensioner's visa. The same goes with DIAN in Colombia. Of course, the question then becomes how many Colombia expats voluntarily report any IRA distributions they receive or even rental income they earned in the states. Would a Colombia expat be so brazen just because there is no tax sharing agreement between the two countries?
Are IRA distributions taxable?

I do not consider IRA distributions to
be income, since it's typically a transfer
from your personal IRA account into
another personal account.

Even if la DIAN disagrees with my
position, the agency will never be
able to tax my IRA funds....

1.  I. don't take IRA distributions,
and would not do so except in
a severe emergency.

2.  I will continue to stay out of
Colombia for more than half
the year so long as that enables
me to stay off the DIAN books.

cccmedia in Santander
@n.barley ..

Prediction on Expat statistics.

I predict you will never see reliable statistics
on Expats' income with the possible exception
of monthly government payments such
as Social Security.

The reason is that, unlike you and me,
a high percentage of Expats in South America
keep a low profile .. stay off forum tax threads ..
and don't discuss their North America
incomes with anybody South of the border.

cccmedia

Revista Semana shed some light on what on what type of income Petro is targeting with "ganancia ocasional" (occasional earnings). Basically gains from sales of second homes will be subject to a graduated tax rated that can reach 39%. It currently is a fixed 10% rate.

I wonder if the new tax law would go into effect for 2023? This may mean there could be some motivated seller's right now.

Colombia... a great república with strange and
inscrutable  tax laws .. big-idea leftists taking
charge .. and armed groups doing scary and
exotic things in the non-urban countrysides.

Enjoy it for 180 days a year.  Don't buy
property there.  Stay off the DIAN radar.

cccmedia in Santander
@cccmedia

That may be what I do, but the recent comment saying that IRA/401k balances are excluded from the wealth tax would make it more feasible for me.

Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : Political
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Hello everyone,

Usually, moderators do not have to intervene in the Ecuador forum as you all always follow the code of conduct of the forum.

Unfortunately, this time I had to edit the post above for the following reasons: off-topics + politics.

As you all should know, we cannot allow political posts that can lead to a debate on the forum.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team
@cccmedia I would like to say thanks  to CCC and moderators for not banning me.

(I didnt check if my previous post was edited)

I will try to use less contentious and more diplomatic wording in the future to express my opinions and experience.

Howver, on another note  I would like to point out that Taxes and Politics are extermely inte- mixed anywhere, espescially now in Colombia.

With the new administration, there is enhanced risk and insecurity that is very important  information for anyone considering relocating to Colombia, and even more so, those considering investing in Colombia.

So I dont believe politics at least as directly related to Colombia , is "off topic"
I had asked the Home Office to recognize
that the inauguration of a leftist in Colombia
has spooked some members .. and we should
give them some latitude 'al respecto'.

Obviously, there are gray areas around
taxes and politics.

Nico's attitude of greater diplomacy
is the correct one.

cccmedia
Expat.com expert for Colombia and Ecuador
One thing I have noted:  Colombians, even those who were adamantly opposed to Petro, are taking everything with more calm than many foreigners.  Most foreigners are much better off than most Colombians and will hardly be affected even if Colombia starts to decline.  This is already reflected in that you now get over 4000 COP for just 1 USD.

But will Colombia decline precipitously?  Everything that Petro wants, must go through the Congress.  It is unlikely that his more radical proposals will pass but will instead be watered down or blocked completely.

I personally don't think Colombia will get better under Petro - but let's wait and see.  Who knows?  We may see people protesting in the streets against Petro and his policies, as the leftists did so often against previous governments.
Revista Semana says the purchases from online sellers in the U.S., which are currently exempt from IVA up to $200, will cost you more, since Petro wants to eliminate the exemption. I guess that means you will pay an additional 19%?

Revista Semana is reporting that the minister of the interior told people in Cauca (famous for its land invasions) that they need to be ready to march if the congress doesn't pass the tax reform. Looking at a map, Medellin appears to the the city closest to the Cauca department.  Do Medellin expats need to take on a bunker mentality like we have in Quito/Cuenca?

In reality Medellín is not at all close to the department of Cauca.  Cauca is in the southwest of Colombia, Medellín is much further to the north, even farther north than Bogotá.  By bus it takes over 18 hours (with stops) to get from Cali to Medellín and even longer from anywhere in Cauca.

In previous strikes and bloqueos the Minga indígena  came up from Cauca to inflict damage on Cali which is fairly close.  In today's newspapers I read that they have blocked the Cali-Popayán route - Popayán is the capital of Cauca and is less than 100 miles south of Cali.

I don't think they have anything to worry about in Medellín.

So much Chicken Little "The sky is falling" mentality amongst gringos.

I live each day as my last, travel, swim in the Caribbean waters off the Colombian coast, sail between the islands, hike the beautiful national parks in Colombia, camp in a tent with pouring torrential rains at night, take long road trips always starting/ending in my home in Medellin, have traveled as far south on road trips as Salinas Ecuador, so I owe some taxes, heck these are just digits on my banking laptop screen, paid my Colombian taxes last week, NOW it's done and never looked back as was the case in prior years.

Whats the fuss all about, none of us are guaranteed for tomorrow, live for today, stop the worry and stress.

And as Spock would say "Live Long And Prosper".

And yes (see photo) I covered every meter of the complete 800 km coastline of Ecuador, stopping at each seaside village and city and beach along the way, and this is just one of my many road trips through the whole of Colombia and Ecuador, Colombia has "become small" to me.

Happy weekend to all. Ecuador-E15-Via-del-Pacifico.jpg

It seems to me that we will be seeing major changes in the tax situation for expats or at least potentially so. I will be in CCC's camp and avoid ownership of major assets in Colombia with the possible exception of a vehicle. Some of my perceptions are as follows.

• There is no joint income tax filing in Colombia; so, would take US taxes and split it down the middle as a basis for Colombia filing.
  • So does Colombia require that I share my income tax form from the US with them? If not how would they know  my data other than the kindness or stupidity of my own account. In particular as to respects of real estate holdings (that might put one over the 5,000 million threshold).
  • So if one had say 120,000.00 income for US taxes (Joint) each person would have a 60,000 base of taxable income of which any thing over the 4,100 UVT's would be taxed at 33%, not taking into account deducting US taxes paid.

Does this approximate your understanding of the tax system in Colombia?

I am still working on wrapping my head around the whole Patrimonio and world wide taxes idea.

I also wonder if one can adjust your withdrawals and tax years such that one could tax income in years when you were not a tax resident of Colombia. Probably best to just not apply for a visa and avoid tax resident status. Sigh.

So much Chicken Little "The sky is falling" mentality amongst gringos.
I live each day as my last, travel, swim in the Caribbean waters off the Colombian coast, sail between the islands, hike the beautiful national parks in Colombia, camp in a tent with pouring torrential rains at night, take long road trips always starting/ending in my home in Medellin, have traveled as far south on road trips as Salinas Ecuador, so I owe some taxes, heck these are just digits on my banking laptop screen, paid my Colombian taxes last week, NOW it's done and never looked back as was the case in prior years.

Whats the fuss all about, none of us are guaranteed for tomorrow, live for today, stop the worry and stress.

And as Spock would say "Live Long And Prosper".

And yes (see photo) I covered every meter of the complete 800 km coastline of Ecuador, stopping at each seaside village and city and beach along the way, and this is just one of my many road trips through the whole of Colombia and Ecuador, Colombia has "become small" to me.

Happy weekend to all. Ecuador-E15-Via-del-Pacifico.jpg
-@South American Voyager

Well said my friend!  We are the lucky ones to be able to live in this tropical paradise!

@Lpdiver

so, would take US taxes and split it down the middle as a basis for Colombia filing.

Considering you are from a community property state (Louisiana) in the U.S., I can see why you would want to do it that way. Of course, if you stop being a Louisiana tax resident, does that make sense to the DINA (Colombian IRS)?

So does Colombia require that I share my income tax form from the US with them?

I don't think so, but according to James L., they may ask to see a copy of your 1040 during your visa renewal or during a normal tax audit, at which time you will need to be like Harry Houdini and come up with one.

If not how would they know my data other than the kindness or stupidity of my own account. In particular as to respects of real estate holdings (that might put one over the 5,000 million threshold).

I don't think they will know anything more than what you freely provide to them as income in the qualifying phase of your visa or beyond. 

So if one had say 120,000.00 income for US taxes (Joint) each person would have a 60,000 base of taxable income of which any thing over the 4,100 UVT's would be taxed at 33%, not taking into account deducting US taxes paid.
Does this approximate your understanding of the tax system in Colombia?

At some point, you may stop being a tax resident of Louisiana, although if that real estate you own is in Louisiana, you would still have to file at least a non-resident tax return for Louisiana.  In that case, I would think your Colombia filing would be similar to someone who moves to a common law state in the United States and files their 1040 as "married filing separately", which is permitted by law.   It is plausible that you would report your social security/pension income separately from your wife.  Of course, joint real estate holdings would probably be split evenly.  As for taking a deduction for U.S. taxes paid, it would most likely be a credit for U.S. taxes paid, which is better anyway.     

I also wonder if one can adjust your withdrawals and tax years such that one could tax income in years when you were not a tax resident of Colombia. Probably best to just not apply for a visa and avoid tax resident status. Sigh.
-@Lpdiver

Considering the U.S. currently has favorable long-term capital gains rates, I would probably want to recognize those in the years that you are not a tax resident in Colombia. 

P.S. What can be a can of worms is if you maintain a Louisiana address for all your income sources, despite not living there one day of the year.  I am sure you could justify it, but you will receive inquiries from the Louisiana Dept of Revenue.

The five rules to keep Expat taxes

from getting out of hand in Colombia.

-- Don't buy land, a house,  a pricey car

or other assets of high value in Colombia.

-- Contact five Colombia tax accountants or

tax attorneys to get an idea of what your

income tax obligation to Colombia will be.

-- Decide whether it makes sense for you

to live in Colombia more than about

180 days a year.

-- Don't make any moves or say anything

on the record that will get the attention of

La DIAN or any government agency in

Colombia.  Maintain a low tax-profile.

-- Report back to this Colombia forum for

further advice or to anonymously share

your experiences to assist others.

cccmedia (178 days In Colombia this year)

@N.Barley Not a tax resident or resident period of Louisiana.

@cccmedia Are you saying you would take a 50% penalty in lieu of taking the RMD?

lpd

I'm sure I'm not saying that.  I'm not willingly

accepting any penalty that enters into the picture

based on current information.

Out of curiosity, LPD, how much do you figure is

the RMD or required minimum distribution?

And this would be a distribution from what?

My IRA is a Roth, so I anticipate no distribution

penalties on that going forward, especially since

I don't intend to take money out of my IRA in

the foreseeable future.

cccmedia

Both these sources say that Roth IRAs have NO Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) for the original holder - the RMD is only for traditonal IRAs and 401k plans.  In any case the RMD is usually quite modest.

https://www.investopedia.com/roth-ira-r … md-4770561

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/roth-ir … es-2894487

You didn't state Roth IRA, you simply said IRA. It is correct that Roth IRA's have no minimum distribution as they are funded with after tax funds. I have a mixture of traditional and Roth IRA's myself so I am familiar.

lpd

Hello. I am been working towards retiring early to spend time with my elderly parents in Colombia (I'ma dual citizen). Most of my money is in 401k and Roth IRAs. I'm very worried about the wealth tax (patrimonio). Do you know if IRA and 401k balance counts against that? There is no way I can afford to retire earlier and pay 1% of my retirement accounts balance + income on roth distributions, etc :(

@mtbe Hello. I think you may have answered some questions I've had and are giving me nightmares. Do you mind letting me know if my understanding is correct?

1. 401k and IRA balances do not count towards wealth tax bet worth (patrimonio) and are not subject to wealth tax. Does that change for roth contributions on either?

2. Distributions from those accounts will be taxed as income even if they are exempt in the US (e.g., ROTH)

Is this correct? If I have to pay wealth tax on my retirement accounts, I'll have to work 10 more years or so, and I ain't no spring chicken. My whole family is in Colombia so already in the dian's radar 🤷‍♀️ Thanks so much. Muchas gracias!

Cristy, you worry way too much. I dont know anybody that reports their world wide asssets to DIAN, and I dont think I know anyone who reports their true world wide income to DIAN

And I know dozens of EXPATS, some very rich, that have been here many years.

You can spend hours  and days searching on the forums , reading and doing your own personal interpretation of the tax rules  online and talking to 2 bit local  accountants for the best interpretation of what is legally required, or pay Deloite Touche or PWC , who both have Colombian offices and personnel, and understand the fine details, $10,000 US minimum for their interpretation.

Or you can relax and enjoy Colombia, and your parents, and dont worry about the issue until it happens, (if it ever does)

@mtbe Hello. I think you may have answered some questions I've had and are giving me nightmares. Do you mind letting me know if my understanding is correct?
1. 401k and IRA balances do not count towards wealth tax bet worth (patrimonio) and are not subject to wealth tax. Does that change for roth contributions on either?
2. Distributions from those accounts will be taxed as income even if they are exempt in the US (e.g., ROTH)
Is this correct? If I have to pay wealth tax on my retirement accounts, I'll have to work 10 more years or so, and I ain't no spring chicken. My whole family is in Colombia so already in the dian's radar 🤷‍♀️ Thanks so much. Muchas gracias!
-@Cristy1977

My wife and I recently spoke with a Tax accountant in Colombia and based on our discussion 401k and IRA do not count towards a wealth tax as you stated.  You will have tax liability on 401k or IRA distributions or social security, if you are a permanent resident, staying over 180 days.  Also agree with others that it is hard to get answers to these questions and you might get different answers depending on the tax accountant in colombia.  If you are not staying over the 180 days or whatever it is you would only have tax liability on colombian income, if you have any.

This is what was explained to us.

People who read this thread deserve answers that can be backed up.  That's why I always try to point to government and other trusted sources, with links and explanations - not just my conjectures, or "I heard my friend's sister's accountant said such-and-such"...

You as an American do not become a tax resident of Colombia unless and until you stay in-country more than 183 days in any given 365-day period not necessarily a calendar year.  There are also some situations if you are a Colombian, where you may also be considered a tax resident even if you do not meet the more-than-183 days requirement.  The Colombia tax agency, DIAN, explains all this here:

https://www.dian.gov.co/impuestos/perso … dente.aspx

For the income tax, only INCOME is counted - not assets.  Your Roth IRA or 401K or other holdings are not income, until money is distributed from them to you.

The wealth tax on assets, the impuesto al patrimonio, goes into effect if you have reported assets of more than 72,000 UVT for 2023 - that's 3,053,664,000 COP, at today's exchange rate that's about $656,902 USD - which is not nearly as much as it used to take.

https://www.gerencie.com/impuesto-al-patrimonio.html

In Colombia knowing the law is not enough - the country has one of the most dense and impenetrable bureaucracies in the world and they are a law unto themselves.  You must talk to several different tax specialists and pick one who has the best answers - and even then it may not turn out as it should.

The bottom line is if you are or plan on becoming a fiscal resident for tax purposes in Colombia, you should do all you can legally to minimize both your income and assets.  Tax evasion is illegal;  tax avoidance is not.