Exit tax

Last year after a visit to Colombia (85 days) I was told I needed to pay about $COP 300,000 as some kind of exit tax in Medellin. I've never paid any kind of exit tax before and I told them so, but they insisted I pay. I was flying back to my home in UK from Jose Maria Cordova airport
I am returning to Medellin next week for another visit, less than 90 days, Will they do me for tax again? and if so is this correct?
Thanks

afortunado wrote:

I am returning to Medellin next week for another visit, less than 90 days. Will they do me for tax again?

Dear "Lucky",

It's unlikely you'll get a reliable answer on the Internet as to whether you'll be charged 300 lucas in departure tax on your next visit.....

1.  Based on anecdotal reports by Colombia visitors posting on the Internet, some travelers have been charged an amount similar to what you paid in departure tax, some a lesser amount.  However, it apparently depends on the length of your stay .. and the minimum or maximum number of days in 2018 for the tax to apply is unclear.

2.  Some airlines factor the exit tax into the ticket price.  However, depending on whether you are/were/will be in the USA for ticket purchase, the tax may not be included .. or may not be clearly indicated on the ticketing paperwork.  Ask at the airport(s) whether the tax is included if you are not clear.  Or ask the ticket seller, if that is feasible, before your travel.  It's even possible, your statement to the contrary notwithstanding, that you have paid a departure tax before .. and just didn't realize it was included in the ticket price.

3.  Air-travel-related fees are subject to change .. and advance notification of any change may not be given to any individual flyer.  After I paid $160 for a "reciprocity fee" to enter Argentina in 2016, President Obama visited that country during my stay .. and got Argentina's president to abolish the reciprocity fee for USA citizens.

If you are unclear about your situation at travel time, have enough cash in dollars and COP to cover yourself in case they hit you up again.

cccmedia in Depto. de Nariño

CC Media

Thank you ever so much for your reply, I contacted the travel agent and they had no idea about departure tax in Colombia. it seems a bit of a grey area and as you say Take dollars and COP with me .....just in case.
Thanks again

Interesting,
I usually get refunds on taxes paid when i leave Cali for USA which is normally 85 mil pesos. Is it possible you were only given a 60 day visa stay rather than the optional 90 day visa stay? I always automatically received the 90 days as I have never had problems. According to the site it runs approximately 3-450 mil if you overstay a visa and up.

The refund I get is paid to me by Amiercan Airlines usually at counter and ticket office. Then they may ask for bggae fees which seem to vary these days so i give it back normally the same amount.