Private Antique Collections in Bali (2 - 100k budget)

My partner is travelling to Bali next week - he is a private investor in many sectors, particularly antiques.

We are both aware of the scarcity here, and he is not overly phased but asked me if there were any private individual collectors.

It would be a day out visiting, its a challenge for me, his collection is astonishing, and is convinced he wont find anything here - he might be right, price range anything from 2k - 100k.

Thanks

Gracie, if might be a good idea to place you ad in the classifieds section at the top of the page.

My own take on antiques in Indonesia is that they are becoming scarcer and scarcer and at the same time more and more fakes are being produced. I personally would like to see Indonesia's antiques to remain in the country, enough of them have been removed already.

Furthermore, one of our regular contributors here is an expert on Indonesia antiques so you may receive some other responses.

I'm know little of the antiques trade but, if I were interested in exporting, I'd be tempted to take a close look at local laws on the subject. There might well be restriction in place designed to prevent export.

Thank you for your feedback,

And I agree :)

Definitely - he also mentioned this.

We are also interested in custom made, one offs - unique, not necessarily antique pieces, but special

Any suggestions also welcome

Thankyou, I will place in classifieds

Bali has a lot of furniture and items made form old or rustic wood. This includes lamps, picture frames, screens, in fact so many other items too. Also, there are a lot of new or recent traditional handicrafts that are currently made by tribes on the other islands like Timor, Sunda, Sulawesi, Lombok and even Kalimantan. I used to collect these objects, the authentic ones back in the late 1990's, but a few years later I started seeing replicas. Items like old necklaces with wild pig tusks and small money skulls, Sumba tongals, rattan and giant cowrie necklaces etc. Even asmat shields are probably mostly newly made but made to look old. Same goes for keris knives and old Chinese porcelain too. Some of the pahikung and ikats are old looking and might be genuine, often from Sumba or Timor, and can be pretty expensive too.

There are shops along Jalan Legian that sell this kind of stuff but you need to know what you are buying.

Gracie, you can send me a private message and I'll respond with the contact details of Bali's best antiques dealer...who happens to be half Australian and half Balinese.

A close friend for over twenty years, he's also Sir Richard Branson's private dealer and responsible for his Necker Island...both the buildings and the furnishings/art.