Living in Costa Rica

I have stayed in Costa Rica many time ups at Lake Arenal, San Jose, Tamarindo Jaco, and Playas del Coco, I prefer beaches and is there a place near a beach that I could live for around $1500 per month. I like socializing at nite clubs or even small bars and meeting people local and expat, and enjoy both local foods and aon occasion foreign food, I like to walk for exercise but mostly flat areas as I have bad knees from diving bends and motorcycle accidents. So I live in Nicargua now as it is cheaper but would like to stay in CR for awhile and maybe retirement.

Hi kenbeapal, it is possible to live on the beach for $1500 a month in my opinion.
But, this is assuming you can find a cheap rental of say $800 a month or less and live frugally, no car, no huge bar and restaurant habits, etc.

I hope others will pipe in who have recent beach living experience. I'm not really familiar with current prices at the beaches that offer what you are looking for.

If you don't mind living in a very populated beach area  you might look at Jaco', Tamarindo, Montezuma,  and other beaches. They do have night life and bars and restaurants around there. As to rents I don't know the prices, but I would suggest this idea:

Go there for an exploratory trip, ask around, and see if there might be a condo available or house, owned by a gringo who needs someone to watch over it for them. Remember that an empty condo or house is not a good thing, and if I had one here empty I'd rather rent it at a low price to a GOOD tenant then leave it empty. If you're a handyman at all you might offer a barter deal for doing maintenance and repairs etc...?

But these are the kinds of deals you get only by being here, feet on the ground,  meeting people and asking questions. Years ago I got free rent in a room in a  hotel in exchange for helping someone learn to use a computer.

If you could find a rental for $500 a month then you could live here. Assuming you are solo, which it seems you are, then $1500 a month is possible.

As for retirement, you'd either have to find a cheap place on a long term contract or buy a place. For the most part rents are up around $700-1000 or  more a month in general - maybe more at the beach ? (not sure). So retirement on $1500 at the beach, having to rent, could be a problem. If you are willing to rent a room and have a roommate that would make it more likely to find something I think...

Hopefully others will chime in with their opinions.
Good luck!

I also have been researching Costa Rica.
I  actually could have written that very same post.

I would like to know where to look for rentals preferably on or close to the beach if at all feasible on a fixed income of approx 1600.00/mth.

I would have to say 'no.' Your  post suggests that you are ' couple' and one really doesn't live as cheaply as one... and you can't, legally, work.

Living near the beach...not even on it... will cost more than in the interior of the country, Electricity tends to be higher as are groceries and you would like use more electricity especially using A/C.

The cost of living in Costa Rica is now much more expensive, than one may hope for. This would mean living without  a vehicle...except maybe a bicycle... possibly some very basic accommodations. You would need a decent amount of funds for emergencies.

If you are intent of applying for residency, you must be affiliated with CAJA the socialized medical system and the residency application process  could approx. $3000 for a couple, and could take a year or more.

If not applying for residency you must be prepared to exit the country every 90 days to renew your visa.

My wife and I have been living in the San Ramon area for $1400 a month and saving a couple hundred a month for emergencies . We do own our home  which makes a big difference, since we pay no rent. We also do own a car but we use it infrequently and don't spend money on restaurants and bars.

It is more expensive to live at the beach but how much more, depends on how you live.

When I lived at the beach years ago I had no a.c., and my rent included the electricity for fans so for me a.c. was not necessary since I could just go dip in the ocean 75 yards away when I felt too hot. However rent was much cheaper when I lived at the beach than it is now.

I think a couple living in Costa Rica does not cost that much more than one person, except for the cost of becoming a resident which kohlerias gave above.

Best way to find out is to come here for an extended stay and see
a) if you like living where you rent; and
b) how much it costs you.

Anyone planning to live here should rent first in the exact area they want to live, anyway, before buying and applying for residency etc.

And know that the cost of having a car is generally a lot more here than in the U.S. due to RTV car inspections, super high gas prices, sometimes bad roads causing more maintenance, and yearly registration fees and you really need to have full coverage insurance which is around $50 a month for my older car, BUT does not cover a rental if anything happens to our car.