Working visa/permit for US Expat

Hello good people,

I have an opportunity with my company to relocate to our Manila office from San Diego, California. I was told to figure out how the whole work visa/permit process works.

So I am wondering, anyone who had to apply for a work permit? Are you willing to share your experience in regards to the process? Where do I begin? How long would it take to process?

Also, my husband and my 19-month old daughter is relocating with me. What types of visa would they need?

Any input would be truly appreciated.

Joyfully,
Huldah

Moderated by Bhavna 4 years ago
Reason : Please recommend in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello there,

thank you so much for your prompt reply.

Yes I would be interested in getting the contact information of the BI agent that you have in mind. Also what's the cost of this service just in case I have to pay out of pocket?

And will the BI located in US or Manila?

-Huldah

supremejoseph wrote:

SupremeJoseph

I have noticed that you reply to requests for visa information with regularity and always with a request to contact you personally.  Who are you?

Are you a representative of a legitimate business in the Philippines and are you a Filipino?

If you are a representative of a business, what is the name and are you registered to do business in the Philippines?

These questions are presented with all due respect if you are a legitimate owner or representative of a visa service,  I am sure you are well aware of the large number of scammers in the Philippines.

P.S. Have you listed your business on this site?

Regards

LadyP32 wrote:

Hello good people,

I have an opportunity with my company to relocate to our Manila office from San Diego, California. I was told to figure out how the whole work visa/permit process works.

So I am wondering, anyone who had to apply for a work permit? Are you willing to share your experience in regards to the process? Where do I begin? How long would it take to process?

Also, my husband and my 19-month old daughter is relocating with me. What types of visa would they need?

Any input would be truly appreciated.

Joyfully,
Huldah

Although I do not have firsthand information, I can tell you that you most likely will be applying for a 9g working visa.  Your employer should be working with you in securing this visa.  It will also include provisions for your family.
I would suggest contacting the Philippine Embassy in San Francisco or the consulate in Los Angeles to begin gathering the necessary information regarding your questions about working in the RP.

The Bureau of Immigration website for the Philippines also has information readily available.

Be cautious of visa services, not all are created equal.  The better ones will have a track record indicating their years in business and will be happy to chat with you no charge to answer your questions. This will include fees for services.  The Philippines embassy or consulate may be able to assist you with recommending one, or you may find they are not even necessary.

The Philippines can be a rough place to live, do your homework. There are plenty of YouTube videos relating to life in the Philippines.  International schools are also available for your children.

I hope this is of some help and hopefully there are other members with personal experience to help you.

Regards

Hello Teejay!

Thank you soo much for your input. I will look at the services my company offers and also call or go to LA consulate for further assistance.

Will definitely be watching YouTube and google will be my friend to learn and prepare more about living in PH.

Best,
Huldah

I said this in another post. If your company or a head hunter is serious about sending you to another country to further your career/benefit them or simply employment then perhaps you should ask for the pertinent details/offer from them, I cannot understand why you are asking these questions in a forum such as this, seems a suspect offer, going back to HR or the perpetrator of a possible lucrative deal, employment offers to other countries are fantastic if the deal suits and the nitty gritty is sorted out without asking expats their opinions. Plenty are incorrect. Me most times and only offer an opinion.
In all my 25+ years working internationally was sorted by my employer and nary a worry to me apart from the passport hand over for the new stamp periodically.

Go back to the company offer and ask them the correct questions, some you have learnt now and plenty to follow on with, good luck and hope it works for you guys.

Cheers, Steve.

Hello,

And thank you for your input. I completely understand what you are saying in regards to a company handling all this.

But unfortunately, my company is growing into new international markets and this is one of the growing pains...we have not figured out how to go about visas for our employees who want to relocate to other overseas offices except for those coming to the US and EU markets and that's why I am asking.

I will be the second person relocating to another overseas office from US and HR is still green in the ears about that process. Also I am the one who requested to be relocated so that puts even more of the burden on me to figure it out and that's why I am asking.

Thank you once again.

-LadyP

LadyP32 wrote:

Hello,

And thank you for your input. I completely understand what you are saying in regards to a company handling all this.

But unfortunately, my company is growing into new international markets and this is one of the growing pains...we have not figured out how to go about visas for our employees who want to relocate to other overseas offices except for those coming to the US and EU markets and that's why I am asking.

I will be the second person relocating to another overseas office from US and HR is still green in the ears about that process. Also I am the one who requested to be relocated so that puts even more of the burden on me to figure it out and that's why I am asking.

Thank you once again.

-LadyP

There are quite a few Visa service businesses in the Los Angeles area. Most of whom will chat with you and explain the procedure and the costs, as well as the required documentation.  Your employer will be involved in the procedure with documentation from the employer detailing the terms of your employment in the Philippines.

As I stated previously, these services, if legitimate will have been in business for a number of years and will offer consultation no charge prior to your application.

I would suggest, once again, that you and or the employer. Contact the consulate or the embassy to obtain the required application documents and procedures.

Good luck

LadyP32 wrote:

Hello,

Thank you once again.

-LadyP

Then your HR department, if you actually have one, needs to sharpen their pencils and do what they are paid to do instead of hand balling to you because they are slack. Help them grow, putting them in a corner will probably achieve results.
At times HR are over zealous but most times bury their head in the sand to the employees detriment, hence your post and doing their work for them.

Cheers, Steve.

NOTHING CAN PREPARE YOU FOR LIVING IN THE PHILS EXCEPT LIVING THERE !

powerkiter120 wrote:

NOTHING CAN PREPARE YOU FOR LIVING IN THE PHILS EXCEPT LIVING THERE !

Well I, and I am sure there are copious amounts of expats that would/will agree with you  powerkiter including myself. "It's more fun in the Philippines" depends on where you are coming from and then some.

I have to add to this "debacle" aimed at the OP for more info. (truth), In your opening post,,,,, yes I reread and you state and I quote "our Manila office" branch, whatever. Seems to me that your company already has a foot in the door from what you said and I reiterate that if your company wants you there?
It should all be seamless and nary an employment worry for your "going international" including relocation fees, accomodation, flights, excess baggage, local transport, phone bills, internet etc. etc.
Has been for me for well over 20 years.
You want a professional then the company sorts it.

BTW powerkiter there is no need for caps to try to get your point across, welcome to the forum and hope to hear more from you and your perspective/s.

Cheers, Steve.

I've been here ages thanks I'm quite aware of caps thank you

Your questions truly are with the HR functions of 99% of US corporations.  This is a very complex topic to tackle on your own and I will only attempt to give you a simple example of what you need to learn.  No matter my opinion, you/your corp needs to learn a few key terms and department acronyms to gain traction on this topic.  A work visa involves the Philippines' Bureau of Immigration (BI), as well as processing an Alien Employment Permit (AEP) issued by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

Foreign nationals are exempted from obtaining an AEP if they are:
- Owners and representatives of foreign principals whose companies are accredited by Philippines Overseas Employment Administration (POEA); and
- Permanent resident foreign nationals and probationary or temporary resident visa holders under the Philippines' immigration law.  Example would be a holder of an SRRV.

As others have already stated, it sounds like you think you are seeking a 9(G) visa but you must understand that visa is through an employer's sponsorship. Therefore, the employer must be a Philippines-based company as a prerequisite.

It is my opinion that you need to look into a 9(D) visa since as a USA citizen you could be considered a foreign national belonging to one of countries that have a bilateral trade agreement with the Philippines.  YMMV on this approach. 

If none of the above are possible, your last option may be the Special Work Permit (SWP) which is for short term work contracts that are of six months or less  and allows you to "work under a Tourist Visa (9A), provided that the validity of the contract is only for up to three months. The visa is extendable for a maximum period of three months."

Although I'm considering a work permit under my SRRV, my path will be different than others.  Other non-working family members will get a simple tourist visa.  Soooo, there you have it, a few acronyms to learn and research to perform.   I'm not sure why an agency would be needed when your simple research will yield all that you need to get the right answers.  Best wishes on your detailed research ahead.......

of course there is also the nefarious fixer always willing to help for a fee , who once paid is never seen again lol

Amen to that... I learn something every time I come...