Just for fun: Food culture in Brazil

Hello everyone,

We all know Brazilian food tastes great. Do you consider yourself a foodie? Share with us your unique food experience as an expat.

1. Name 3 best well-known Brazilian street foods according to you.
2. Which are some unusual dishes that you have discovered ?
3. What makes up the typical breakfast in Brazil?
4. Name 3 of your favourite festive dishes.
5. According to you, which essential ingredient defines Brazilian cuisine?

Thanks for participating,
Diksha

Diksha wrote:

Hello everyone,

We all know Brazilian food tastes great. Do you consider yourself a foodie? Share with us your unique food experience as an expat.

1. Name 3 best well-known Brazilian street foods according to you.

Espeitinho de carne, pastel and frango or linguiça assada

2. Which are some unusual dishes that you have discovered ?

Palmito, Bacalhau com óleo de dendê, camarão esconde-esconde

3. What makes up the typical breakfast in Brazil?

Coffee, cheese, fruits and assortments of breads from regular to sweet...

4. Name 3 of your favourite festive dishes.

Leitão assado (inteiro), Costela - fogo do chão, Churrasco of different cuts

5. According to you, which essential ingredient defines Brazilian cuisine?

Beef and colorau...

Thanks for participating,
Diksha

Really think it is Cod? Hide and seek shrimp? Have not seen that here.
Is it shrimp so small you can not find it?

Texanbrazil wrote:

Really think it is Cod? Hide and seek shrimp? Have not seen that here.
Is it shrimp so small you can not find it?

Well, the  owner of the restaurant (my friend) says the bacalhau is even imported from Portugal. The cook has to soak the fish overnight to remove the salt and then cooked with the ingredients.

The shrimp in esconde-esconde are about medium in size but are few inside a baked fricasse-like consistency with cheesy, crunchy top. It´s probably called esconde-esconde because you have to search for them. But the chicken fricasse - like white "molho" is really the star of the show.

I bought them really large jumbo shrimp tonight and a nice picanha beef cut. I cooked the shimp with
garlic. green onions and quatro queijos (4 types of cheese) and the picanha charcoal roasted at a very high temperature to medium rare. I barbecue in spits (espeitos) like the Gauchos and have developed an expertise with all cuts of meat. And  it was accompanied by an Argentinian Malbec. Yum!

Well it is Cod if from Portugal.
That makes me think when traveling. You go through Kansas and see signs of "Fresh Shrimp"! Ok where is the ocean in Kansas?
Doc you make a day out of BBQ. I got tired of burning all the wood. Went out and got a 5 burning Charbroil Gas grill and a smoker.  One day grilling and I drink way too much cerveja! Grill cut my beer over 50%.
P.S. Love it when you speak French

I´ve been looking for a gas grill and also a smoker. Did you buy them in Curitiba? The gas grill is actually healthier. There´s lots of trout in RS and salmon from Chile so I would love to smoke them!

Charbroil BR website. I think it was shipped from Curitiba. Smoker I brought from US. Electric and was not heavy. Not big on the elect but with Jim Beam chips it works.