Reading habits in Vietnam

Hello everyone,

Books can be your greatest companions whether you have already settled in Vietnam or are now planning your move. Are you an avid or occasional reader? We would like to know more about your reading habits.

What type of reading do you enjoy? Do you read novels, comics, magazines, newspapers, etc.?

Where do you purchase or borrow books in Vietnam (bookstores, online, library subscription, etc.)? Do you prefer digital reading?

Do you have an average budget devoted to reading in Vietnam? Do you buy books or pay a library membership fee?  Do you spend more or less than in your country of origin?

In what languages can you find the books that you usually read?

What books or magazines would generally be found on your bedside table?

Thanks for participating,

Bhavna

Yes, I am an avid reader.  I read mostly novels and I've been working with students online as a reading tutor since 2012.

I have tried to set-up reading programs with students here in Vietnam but haven't had much success. It seems most students are just too busy to prioritize time for reading. I think this is a shame because reading can help them a great deal with their English skills plus listening, speaking, and writing can easily be incorporated into a reading tutor class, helping them prepare for IELTS. In addition, subconsciously, the students pick up the grammar as they read.

I prefer hard copies of my books and that's what I always bought back in America but due to the difficulty of finding English language books here in Vietnam, I have learned to settle for electronic versions, mainly on my Kindle. I spend about the same amount here as I did back in America.

Thank you for you're interest.

-  Are you an avid or occasional reader? We would like to know more about your reading habits.

I've been a voracious reader all my life, a trait that I passed down to my children.  Twenty five years ago, our family decided to get rid of the TV so books became the second most important part of our lives (travel is the top most).

- What type of reading do you enjoy? Do you read novels, comics, magazines, newspapers, etc.?

My reading taste is very eclectic; I read almost everything as long as I find the subject interesting or if I like the author's writing style.  Adventure, biography, classics, comics, children literature, history, historical fiction, humour, legal cases, mystery, philosophy, romance, and travel.  If a book is well-written, I read it.

Even though I didn't care much for magazines and newspapers while living in the States, I do read them online here for information purpose. 

- Where do you purchase or borrow books in Vietnam (bookstores, online, library subscription, etc.)? Do you prefer digital reading? Do you have an average budget devoted to reading in Vietnam? Do you buy books or pay a library membership fee?  Do you spend more or less than in your country of origin?

In addition to the daily free Kindle books from Amazon and BookBub, I have permanent and free access to 3 American public e-libraries whence I download ebooks and audiobooks without charge even while travelling or living abroad.  When I want a title not available from the free sources, I purchase a digital version from Amazon or Audible. 

My present budget for books is much smaller than the previous one in the States.  In America, anytime I found an author I truly loved, I set out to buy every book that s/he has ever written.  I'm not able to do that here in Vietnam.  Moreover, I still have thousands of titles in my Kindle and Calibre that I haven't got to so there's no need to search for more. 

I don't think I'll ever run out of books to read or listen to for the rest of my life if I maintain this reading habit (3 books/week in addition to online reading of news and articles). 

Due to our frequent travel, my library now is in digital and audio formats.  It's not practical to move 3000+ books from one country to another.

- In what languages can you find the books that you usually read?

I read books in English, Vietnamese, and Italian, in that order.  My French is weaker and weaker with each passing year due to the lack of practice so I can only read books that were written in simple style --  Georges Simenon's Commissaire Maigret, for instance.  English language books are always my top preference.

- What books or magazines would generally be found on your bedside table?

None.  I don't read in bed at night, I listen to audiobook instead and fall to sleep with the earplugs on all night.

I read 30+ books per month and 50 magazines. Mostly technical books plus usually a few SF novels, and at least 1 self-improvement book. I also save web articles to Pocket and read. I live 35km from D1 in HCMC and travel to D1 a number of times per week (1.5 hrs each way by Grab), I use this time for reading.

I read books in English, Classical Latin, Chinese, Japanese, Italian and French. I am learning Vietnamese and Danish too.

I am a geek so I read a lot of programming books, lots of SF, historical, classics.

Currently reading:

* Battlefield Earth 3000 (rereading);
* Python programming for Convolutional Neural Networks;
* Gallic Wars by Julius Caesar (in Latin)

I download what I read so it costs nothing.

By the way, anyone who has recommendations should post these.

I used to read books about society and culture, such as Closing of the American Mind or Clash of Civilizations, but now, regrettably, I just don't have the same vibe in Vietnam. Instead of feeling energized to read a book at night, I just want to veg out and then go to sleep.

hello
when I was teacher I was reading all day
personal reading for me is medical research and effect on cells. go out experience the woods   mountains tunnels cave beaches  island  reefs. ahahahahah reading the world all Jah has made for us to taste see enjoy experience and love life. whew Việt Nam!

sprogger wrote:

By the way, anyone who has recommendations should post these.

I am an occasional reader of real books. I buy in the states and bring over in suitcase since I go back a couple times a year.

1. Let my people go surfing - Not a surfing book, it is the story of/by Yvon Chouinard and running Patagonia clothing store. Written years ago so not filled with environmental hand wringing.

2. The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps - a collection of actual 1920s-30s-40s pulp fiction, not the terrible Tarantino movie. These stories are 'hard boiled' crime, with tough guy private eyes, sometimes a mystery, glimpses of US life before WW2, good overcoming evil. I knew I liked Raymond Chandler, and don't like Dashiell Hammett, but I had no idea there were so many other great writers back them. Actually lots of them are in the public domain. The book for me is a source for searching these other writers out, including their alias names.

3. Jim Corbett books, about hunting man-eaters and jungle life in colonial India. I just re-read one, the first time I was 10 years old. Funny, same period as pulp fiction but a very different world.

Hi,
Reading for me is a calming escape from reality when pressure is building in my personal life.
Mostly fiction, history and travelogues.
Reading a lot lately as my relationship appears to be heading for the rocks.
Music is a great escape also.
May I say that you have a beautiful look.
Best wishes.

Jollygreen wrote:

Hi,
Reading for me is a calming escape from reality when pressure is building in my personal life.
Mostly fiction, history and travelogues.
Reading a lot lately as my relationship appears to be heading for the rocks.
Music is a great escape also.
May I say that you have a beautiful look.
Best wishes.

Trouble at home  :(
- - -
Hits on moderator  :cool:

I used to read books about history, travel and culture, such as world history, maya, china, ...

gobot wrote:

Hits on moderator  :cool:

I've been waiting to see Bhavna's response, but I don't think she notices the comment.

Hello everyone,

My reading habits : I did read the comment lol and i enjoy reading each of your comments  ;):D @ Jollygreen, Thanks

Have a nice day,
Enjoy the rest of the week,
Bhavna