Vietnamese Movies

Can anyone recommend good quality vietnamese movies or tv series that I could get my hands on with english subtitles.

I would like to watch (and hopefully enjoy) to improve my vietnamese language listening skills.

"Bẫy rồng" (Clash)
"Dòng máu anh hùng" (The Rebel)
I hope you will enjoy these movies, one of them have been launched on Star movies.

And below are some others that won The Oscar..
Mùa len trâu (The buffalo boy)
Áo lụa Hà Đông (The White Silk Dress)
Bụi hồng (Gone, gone, forever gone)
Đừng đốt (Don't burn)
Chuyện của Pao (Pao's story)

I am waiting to speaking Vietnamese to you soon, bro :)

cảm ơn rất nhiều :P

Another good one is A Fool For Love. De Mai Tinh.

A very funny Romance/Comedy show. Worth watching. See review
http://www.iexaminer.org/arts/vietnames … prisingly/

"This movie is probably a ‘first'—it may be the first romantic-comedy to be a blockbuster in Vietnam. A Vietnamese actor friend of mine who happened to be filming his own movie in Vietnam last April went to see De Mai Tinh's release near Saigon and reports that it played to a huge audience — even competing with American movies playing at the time."

is it me or my ugly taste but I don't find 'De Mai Tinh' funny?

The movie overall is to me aweful, poor dialogue, poor acting, poor storylines. The main character has an aweful personality. The story strays way too far from reality. And I hate the korean drama trends where in the movies all the rich main characters wear luxurious suits having nothing to do except for enjoying life, bickering and bitching around running after LOVE :o and how they fall in love is also ridiculous!

Probably both :)

But it's really not for me to judge as I just do the recommendation. I will let the viewers be the critics after they see it. Some likes, some dislikes. You belongs to the latter. It's ok.

Your comments may just prompt more people to see the movie to confirm your findings. Well done!

No, don't waste your precious 90-min-time of your life watching the movie, and no movies of the copycat Victor Vu. Do listen to the recommendations of sercret:

secret wrote:

"Bẫy rồng" (Clash)
"Dòng máu anh hùng" (The Rebel)
I hope you will enjoy these movies, one of them have been launched on Star movies.

And below are some others that won The Oscar..
Mùa len trâu (The buffalo boy)
Áo lụa Hà Đông (The White Silk Dress)
Bụi hồng (Gone, gone, forever gone)
Đừng đốt (Don't burn)
Chuyện của Pao (Pao's story)

I am waiting to speaking Vietnamese to you soon, bro :)

except for the first 2 action movies which require particular taste, all the movies in the 2. part of the list are worth watching, great storyline, reality-based, great agenda of love and humanbeings, were nominated and/or won several renowned awards!

I don't suppose anyone would know where I could purchase authentic dvd's of these movies?

You would know if you want to buy those in Hanoi! Try look for them in the mall, electronic and audio market :)
And you rarely get discount for genuine BluRay disc here.

If you are living in HCMC, you should look for some small DVDs shops at CMT8 street. remember that ask these DVDs with the Vietnamese name. Another way to watch them is some online websites like planetphim.com/forum/topic/3230-vn-movie-the-white-silk-dress-2006-dvdripxvid/
or trian4u.com/forum/index.php?topic=632.0

if I find out more I will post here

Enjoy it

Floating lIves
Hanh Trinh (The Journey)
HotBoy

Above are well made films. You can see many articles about them on newspapers.

you can watch programs on vtv4
some of them are showed with English  Vietsub , some are showed with Vietnamese and Engsub

My favorite Vietnamese movie is easily Owl and Sparrow.
Cu va chim se se - imdb.com/title/tt0971162/

It leaves you with a "feel good" feeling, whilst the endless tragedy in most vietnamese movies tend to make you depressed for days.
It's a little bit difficult to get hold of for some reason.. I downloaded it..

In Diamond Plaza (hcmc) there is a book shop that also sell authentic vietnamese dvds.
The DVD shop in Thuong Xa Tax shopping centre on Le Loi Street have a quite a lot of vietnamese movies with subtitles.