What's life like in christchurch after the quake?

Hi

We are currently living in Mauritius for the past year and we are thinking to move to NZ pretty soon - it's my husband home. Actually he is from Dunedin. He is having a job interview and i think they want him to base in christchurch. We are not too sure if we wnat to move there after what happen few months back with the quake. Last year we were considering of moving there but now we are unsure. We also have an eight months old fella. I would really appreciate if anyone could comment of what it's like living there at the moment? Would you recommend living there?

Hope to get some feedback soon.

Many thanks
N

neave wrote:

Hi

We are currently living in Mauritius for the past year and we are thinking to move to NZ pretty soon - it's my husband home. Actually he is from Dunedin. He is having a job interview and i think they want him to base in christchurch. We are not too sure if we wnat to move there after what happen few months back with the quake. Last year we were considering of moving there but now we are unsure. We also have an eight months old fella. I would really appreciate if anyone could comment of what it's like living there at the moment? Would you recommend living there?

Hope to get some feedback soon.

Many thanks
N

I would also be very interesetd in hearing from expats living in CHCH as a few job opportunities are coming up down that way for us, we lived in CHCH in 2006 and loved it but am not sure what life is like now after the geological/social unrest caused by the quakes...

Cheers,

Andres

Chch is still experiencing quakes, 2 more yesterday, therefore it is not for the faint of heart. Once settled (and who knows when that will be), it will be a land of opportunity. Trades first: construction, plumbers, sparkies, painters, then other professions. Currently areas of high need are social workers and the mental health professions, maybe telecommunications and the like. Research the fault lines and continued and recent "aftershocks" on line since some areas are more heavily affected than others.

Best wishes

Head for the North Island neave, those quakes are going to take years to quieten down and it will get harder and harder to get insurance the longer they go on. Most of the work is in the north anyway and the climate is better than the south. Places like Dunedin are fearsome cold this time of years and NZ homes are usually poorly insulated and have inadequate heating.

(moderated: no free ads please)

Hi Christchurch is still great we still love living hear moved hear from Ireland x4years ago.even after the quake it is still a lovely place to live

What about Christchurch condition and sorrounding now?. How can we get tour guide for a visit in Christchurch since I am from Malaysia and would like to make a study trip on those building after earthquake development. Hope to hear soon from you guys. Thank you

Life in Christchurch is back to normal well asnormalas it can be after the quake people are doing what they did going in for coffee just not as many shops the only sad thing is seeing the city pulled down

Hello Mr.Jenkennedy. Thanks for answering our question. So is it almost no recent developments in CHCH? Since I am doing researched on Christchurch maybe you can suggest us what activities can be done in the area or any place of interest. For the Redzone is the CBD bus tour still valid? Hope to hear from you soon. Greetings from Malaysia

I would not be in rush to live in Christchurch or nz for that matter. Kiwi's love it here, they do their OE and then they go home taking husbands and wives with them, telling them how wonderful it is. Once home they refuse to leave. Yes the mountains are pretty but the towns are not. nz towns are pretty drab, populated by a clicky, unfriendly lot living in a world 30 years gone by. There's a lot of lonely foreigners trapped in nz. You have been warned. Best of luck.

What a load of crap we lived in England and Ireland and we love it in new Zealand we get the same things as we got anywere and we have made great friends and I mean friends

I am married with 4 young kids (11, 8, 4, 2) and I have been offered a job in Christchurch as a graduate engineer. It is a great opportunity to begin my new career and they are offering to pay for visas and flights. My main concern is the safety of my kids and the quality of life we would have down there. I am not too worried about the quakes but the after effects such as no toilets or power puts me off a bit. I have read such conflicting stories about life in Chch that I just do not know which side to believe. my wife was supportive at first but sha has also read the bad stories and she is becoming less positive about the whole thing. I emailed a friend of mine who lives in the city yesterday and he told me not to bring my kids down here, no way, dont do it etc.
Who do I believe? It is a life changing move but I dont want things to change for the worse. We dont have much now, both on the dole, high mortgage, minimal social life but we are comfortable at the same time.
Any advice?

Hi life is normal around Christchurch just there is no city centre but we don't need it all the malls are on the outskirts.we have the odd quake but you don't feel them.our son who lives in Galway is also coming over this year.it is a lovely place to bring up kids the people are great we wouldn't go back to Ireland at any price.so I would not worry there will be more work than in Ireland it is a great place to start a new life lots of family time as they are into families you should come if you want to know anything else just ask and let mevknowcwhat you decide I don't think you would ever regret the move.
        Jen

Well people regardless to what everyone been saying about not to come to Chch, we made the decision of coming here.  Me, my husband and my 20 months old son made the move last October. We lived in Queenstown before moving in December just exactly 2 weeks before the big quake. It was very upsetting and scary indeed. We spent Xmas in Queenstown at my husband's family and I didn't want to come back. But I did anyway. I have to say it was a good decision. I've made some friends and join the mum group for coffees etc.Able to afford renting a house with big back garden which will be absolutely impossible in the uk. Christchurch is a great place. Lots to do for the kids. We even have 2 of our friends moving here soon. And they all have kids. So I don't think  you should worry and listen to other people, specially those who don't live here. If I can live here then anyone can. Anyway hope this help.

Hi
I have almost secured a job in Christ church; please could you give me any general advice,
Property rentals 4 bed if possible
Schools
Cost of living
Entertainment
Income tax
Social activities
Weather

Really appreciate it

Hi life is great now things getting back on track lots of work with the Canterbury rebuild.rental properties gone up in price because there is a lot of demand for rentals till people get there claims settled.weather as been great up to now today was 23dec had a great summer .if you want more info just ask

thanks for that

so many questions to ask really,

we live in rainy manchester England

we are looking for a 5 bed home, the company are offering me between 120,000 to 140,000 dollars + car + medical

what is the cost of living compared to the uk,

my wife is a senior staff nurse, have you an idea on the pay scale?

we have two children boy 9 and girl 15. is there things to do

me and my wife don't really drink, but we enjoy a beautiful home life. so ideally we would be looking for a nice property 4-5 bed,, where is the best place in the suburbs, I think I will be working In Christchurch, I don't mind a drive to work

if you got any more advice or info we would really appreciate it

many thanks

john and marie

Hi well rentals for 4to 5 bedrooms you are looking at anything from $600 to a 1000 a week depending on the area there are lots of great places to live either out in the country also by the sea.but you could o line and check them out.as for entertainment everything is geared to family and outdoors cycling boating walking beach we don't drink either but we love the outdoors my son came over with two girls 9 years ago and they said they would never go back to the uk only on holiday.i was nurseling myself years ago but don't know anything about the wages hear,the cost of living is more expensive than uk but you adapt you miss something's from home it other things make up for it.i used to live in sunny Huddersfield,the weather hear is far better than the uk summer is summer and if you love the outdoors it's great we eat outside most days the kids should love itmy youngest granddaughter is 15 and she goes off to the malls meets her friends it is a far safer country for kids they have great freedom.if you need more info just ask would be happy to meet up when you come over and help you all we can
     Jennifer

Check out this website for cost of living numbeo.com

hi,

I think you and your wife will be fine in Chch. As a nurse your wife should be able to get work easily. There is the option of working in the public hospital or if your wife is experienced in surgical nursing there are 2 good private hospitals.

Chch is a great place to live. I left sunny Manchester in 1984 and have never regretted it.

Anne

Hi,

john fitz I believe the hardest thing for you will be settling in  the first weeks (couple of months) as finding a house in Chch is not as easy as it seams.

Considering you have two kids you will need to get it close to a school (to be able to use that school) and with houses it is not easy to find one and it gets even worst to find one close to the place you want.

Once that problem is solved I believe you will really enjoy your time here. Great city to live.

Cheers.

Bertie Wooster wrote:

I would not be in rush to live in Christchurch or nz for that matter. Kiwi's love it here, they do their OE and then they go home taking husbands and wives with them, telling them how wonderful it is. Once home they refuse to leave. Yes the mountains are pretty but the towns are not. nz towns are pretty drab, populated by a clicky, unfriendly lot living in a world 30 years gone by. There's a lot of lonely foreigners trapped in nz. You have been warned. Best of luck.

I'm a New Zealander living in the UK. I also find that I am living in a country in a timewarp, full of cliquey, unfriendly locals, & most towns & cities here are very drab......and the mountains here (when you can see them behind the constant rain clouds) are not quite so pretty. You made your choice, so why are you still there? If it weren't for my friends & career, I'd be out of here in a flash. Life in the UK has many advantages, & I am very grateful for the opportunity I had to settle here, but NZ is a fantastic place too.

People who come from the other side of the world to live in NZ need to seriously consider a few things, mostly:
connecting to family...You will be alone without your friends or family members (ones you leave behind). There are a few families that pack up and leave after 3-5 years, as the reality sinks in that they cannot pop over to visit their parents, etc.

If you have children you need to think very carefully. Do you want your kids growing up without their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins etc?

That is the main reason why a few families exit, as the reality of their kids not growing up with family support and connection hits hard. Precious moments with loved ones are what you remember in the twilight years..not the money.

Hi just arrived in Christchurch last week to join my husband who has been here for almost 2 months working as a Contracts Manager.  He is loving every second of his job but my days are dragging by and I am ridiculously home-sick already.  I have bought a bike and I am trying to make myself get out and about but my spirits are low. I am living in Fendalton and wondered if there were any keep fit/zumba classe that I could perhaps join.  I'm not the keep fit type but don't know any other way to actually meet other women.  Any help would be most appreciated.

Hi we moved to Christchurch almost 2 yrs ago and I totally understand what you mean. Luckily I made a few friends. I've got 2 boys a soon to be 3 yrs old and a 5 months old. So I guess it was a little bit easy to meet other moms. Anyway I've just started Zumba class last night and its so much fun.  It's on Tillman avenue - waimari school. I will message you the details if you want.Xx

Londonkiwi wrote
I'm a New Zealander living in the UK. I also find that I am living in a country in a timewarp, full of cliquey, unfriendly locals, & most towns & cities here are very drab......and the mountains here (when you can see them behind the constant rain clouds) are not quite so pretty. You made your choice, so why are you still there? If it weren't for my friends & career, I'd be out of here in a flash. Life in the UK has many advantages, & I am very grateful for the opportunity I had to settle here, but NZ is a fantastic place too.

Yep I'm back from boring nz and loving every minute back in the land of the living. Yes it never rained in nz (not) and when the sun did come out it the nor wester was howling.
Why am I still there? I'm not!  Reading rocks

Some answers to comments above Since I was born and raised in San Francisco and schooled in Los Angeles, the idea of earthquakes isn't very scarey.  We have done some traveling and are looking for a place to retire.  My husband is doing really well learning Spanish, so any move to S. America will be helped by us knowing their language which cannot help but make friendships easier.  No mater where we've moved and lived, the one thing I completely realize is that it's up to YOU to approach people to make friends. YOU ARE THE NEWCOMER (duh!).  Most people we've met (always Americans) who complain about the population aren't particularly attractive to us either. And for those of you who want your hometown to be completely modern, may I suggest New York City?