I need advices...

Hello to those that are gonna read my pray which also became my torment. My life has been a rollecoaster. I come from Italy, to be precise Sicily. I have managed to go to Vietnam only once in my life ( i am 27 years old now ) and i loved the place and the people who lives there. I have been working as waiter ever since i was 16 in Italy. My family is not rich so we couldn't afford many things, university included.  Although i finished high school at the age of 18, i couldn't find any better job opportunities. Just recently i lost my one and only job and i found myself at a junction. My parents wish the best for me and so do i. I was thinking to move to Vietnam, that beautiful country that welcomed me with its great people. Although i have no money nor degrees to find a job. All i can offer is my 9 years of waiter experience and my english level which i was told is quite good. I know i am asking for much but... can anyone lead me to the right path? Where should i look for a job? Who could i contact? I have enough resources to get an IELTS certificate and probably a TEFL until i get completely broke. Please help.. Thank you in advance if you have read till now. I really appreciated the time you spent to read my monologue. Also, sorry if my post causes any inconvinience..

I don't know about Italy, but being a waiter in Vietnam is one of the lowest paying jobs available.  Also even if you found a place where the clientele spoke English, the cook likely only speaks Vietnamese.  You should scratch waiter off your list right away.

Although based on your fluency you might be eligible to take the CELTA or some other TEFL course but without a 4 year diploma, you will not be eligible to obtain a work permit in Vietnam.  I am sorry but that is the hard truth.  It is probably true that you could find work teaching ESL but you will always be at the bottom of the employment ladder and not eligible for a residency card which means you will be making border runs every 6 months or so.  If there is any way that you could get a degree in Italy, in any subject I might add, you really should do so.

Hello, thanks again for sharing your time with me. Getting a degree in Italy, not counting books,  would cost me 5000 USD if i manage to get it within 3 years. Will it cost me less if i try to get a degree in Vietnam? Also is there any international university in Saigon that would release the degree that i need?

Chocosko wrote:

Getting a degree in Italy, not counting books,  would cost me 5000 USD if i manage to get it within 3 years. Will it cost me less if i try to get a degree in Vietnam? Also is there any international university in Saigon that would release the degree that i need?

You are fortunate that you do not live in the US where 5000 USD would maybe pay tuition for one semester only at a second tier public university.  There may be degree programs given with instruction entirely in English in Vietnam but I do not know of them.   Maybe others do.  With respect to a general program, it is like the problem of restaurant work.  How will you follow the lecturer if he is speaking Vietnamese?

THIGV wrote:
Chocosko wrote:

Getting a degree in Italy, not counting books,  would cost me 5000 USD if i manage to get it within 3 years. Will it cost me less if i try to get a degree in Vietnam? Also is there any international university in Saigon that would release the degree that i need?

You are fortunate that you do not live in the US where 5000 USD would maybe pay tuition for one semester only at a second tier public university.  There may be degree programs given with instruction entirely in English in Vietnam but I do not know of them.   Maybe others do.  With respect to a general program, it is like the problem of restaurant work.  How will you follow the lecturer if he is speaking Vietnamese?

Indeed, i think i wouldn't be able to learn anything from someone that speaks only vietnamese. I guess life hasn't been too kind with me and i am blocked here forever with my poverty.. unless, like you said, i try the path as an ESL teacher. I would accept any amount of money as long as i can buy food and pay for the rent. Right now my financial situation is truly the lowest and if i keep this pace i might as well just die. Do you think IELTS and TEFL has any kind of use for my current situation?

Sutherland University teaches in Saigon and courses are in English

Hysticali wrote:

Thanks.  I forgot that RMIT is another option.  To Chocosko:  It would have its ups and downs but you probably could work in ESL "illegally" to support yourself while working on a degree.  Don't worry too much about it as a majority of ESL teachers in the country don't have a work permit anyway.  Just go for it.

THIGV wrote:

Don't worry too much about it as a majority of ESL teachers in the country don't have a work permit anyway.  Just go for it.

Oh no THIGV !  :o   This is the first time I read something like that from you.   :lol:

Ciambella wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Don't worry too much about it as a majority of ESL teachers in the country don't have a work permit anyway.  Just go for it.

Oh no THIGV !  :o   This is the first time I read something like that from you.   :lol:

A while back there was a discussion about the general forum rules that say that posters may not advocate anything illegal.  The consensus, that even the moderators had to accede to, was that certain practices were so common in Vietnam that it is nearly impossible to describe the country without mentioning them.  Besides the fact that a majority of ESL teachers have no work permit, including many who meet the qualifications, imagine discussing motorbike driving in Vietnam without describing paying 200,000 bribes to the police when you are stopped.  It would be a better world if all ESL instructors had degrees and the CS didn't support their families through extortion, but it sadly is not the reality.

THIGV wrote:

It would be a better world if ....

I understand that very well.  Just kinda surprise because I've been seeing you as the stronghold for teacher education and principles.   :cheers:

Ciambella wrote:

I understand that very well.  Just kinda surprise because I've been seeing you as the stronghold for teacher education and principles.   :cheers:

I know but in fact the current qualifications don't really make sense either.  Ideally, ESL teachers should have degrees in education and/or EFL but that is way beyond possible.  The current requirement for any Bachelor's degree can mean some unsuitable people end up teaching anyway.  The worst teacher I ever encountered owned a chain type (like HR Block) tax franchise in Canada.  His accountant personality was entirely wrong for teaching but he was qualified on paper.  His evening adult class rebelled against him and complained to management.  He had plans to work seasonally and to return to Canada at tax time but I don't know that he ever came back to Vietnam after he left.  The best teachers that I encountered were Filipino teachers who held real education degrees (some were MEd's) and  retired teachers from the US and Australia.  If I were a young fellow looking to establish an ESL business, I would really target early retired teachers, about 50 year olds, from English speaking countries.  They are more skilled than the fresh out of college fellows looking for travel adventure and they will give you a much better turnover rate.

You should be contacting the schools directly in order to gauge the level of demand and what your options are. Most of the work involves teaching kids, so they need people who can show up at 8 am Saturday + Sunday morning and entertain groups of kids with games, songs, riddles, activities, etc. Reliability, flexibility, patience and a pleasant personality are the characteristics schools are looking for. You should also be good-looking and extroverted and play a ukulele.

You can post your CV and view ads on https://www.expat.com here:
https://www.expat.com/en/jobs/asia/viet … ching.html

Lots of ads here and you can post your CV if you want to:

https://vietnamteachingjobs.com

Or, just search online, for example:

69 language schools listed for Vietnam
https://www.eslbase.com/schools/vietnam

If you are Facebook, there are multiple groups for the country and each city. Just search for "english teaching jobs in vietnam".

You should be cautious because some schools may be a bit dodgy. Also, although there is a lot of demand (VN is now the 15th most populous country in the world: https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/society/201 … 50622.html), there is also a lot of competition as more and more people arrive with the idea of finding a teaching job.

By the way, "advice" is considered to be uncountable, so don't add an "-s".

In addition, you might try contacting some of your compatriots in Vietnam once you arrive. There seem to be a fair amount of Italian restaurants in various cities. There may be some possibility that they might give you a bit of work helping out. Anyway, network as much as you can.

johnross23 wrote:

You should also be good-looking and extroverted and play a ukulele.

Has to be ukulele?  No accordion or maracas?

Ciambella wrote:
johnross23 wrote:

Has to be ukulele?  No accordion or maracas?   ;)

Well, anything that can enhance one's performance is a bonus. However, the ukulele combines portability and versatility in a way that those other instruments cannot.

Doing magic tricks is another thing that can be used.

At the very least, a teacher should be able and willing to do the Hokey Pokey.  :cool:

johnross23 wrote:

At the very least, a teacher should be able and willing to do the Hokey Pokey.  :cool:

As long as he's not a wanna-be juggler.  I've met a few ready, willing, but not-quite-able jugglers in my time.  For a few months after watching the last one, I sported a scar on my forehead for a memento.

Ciambella wrote:
johnross23 wrote:

Has to be ukulele?  No accordion or maracas?

A great way to end up on the blacklist, I hear... 😁

Did you hear about the foreigner musician who attempted to bring her accordion into Vietnam?

She was denied entry and returned to her country.

All 12 accordions she "owned" (according to customs and immigration) were sent back with her...

🤣

First of all, i want to thank everyone for their advice ( without the -s, i learnt the lesson ). In the future, i do plan to get an english language degree. My problem is that i cannot afford university right now. I honestly want to be a better man and teacher but i am chained to my little resources. That's why i was thinking to get an IELTS certification and study four weeks at TEFL. I guess i just need to start building my future somehow. I also want to add that i got in touch with TEFL that stated that finding a job with their help as an ESL teacher wouldn't be too hard, although, they cannot provide a work permit. What do you guys suggest? Is it true that it would be easy to find a job as an ESL teacher in Saigon?  Or should i just quit my dream? Also, i "illegaly" kind of already taught english to kids in my life. I used to have kids come over to my house to teach them english and help them with homeworks. By the way, i can't stretch enough that i am really thankful for your replies. You are the greatest guys.

Chocosko wrote:

Also, i "illegaly" kind of already taught english to kids in my life. I used to have kids come over to my house to teach them english and help them with homeworks.

Remember that it is homework (uncountable and hence singular.)  It seems that you understand but you haven't really internalized the concept.  Maybe your best bet is to try to intensively improve your English while still in Italy seeking help where you can, keep up the informal teaching if you have time, and think about Vietnam in a few more years.

Chocosko wrote:

i  kind of already taught english to kids in my life

It is risky for anyone to dash off to live in a foreign country. You increase chance of failure.

My suggestion: Make a plan to try Vietnam in a year, maybe two. Get another boring job or two jobs so you can afford to prepare for a better job. Consider commuting farther for more job opportunities. Vacation places need waiters. Fancy restaurants probably pay more. Learn how to be a better, more professional waiter. Cut your expenses. Live at home. Or maybe Sicily is too small, consider lots of things.

Meanwhile, you like teaching, look for opportunities to teach English in your city. There will be full time and part time substitute teacher jobs. I hear there are a few new refugees in Italy. Maybe there are government programs (and jobs) to educate them. Or NGOs might need help teaching too since they are responsible for loading the  boats. Figure out the qualifications you need.  If no paying jobs, then volunteer teach for the experience and satisfaction. Look into teaching English online, there are quite a few companies, maybe a degree is not necessary. Network, Facebook groups for teachers, etc.

There are tons of online colleges now. Maybe you can qualify for scholarship. Think big, think long term. Even joining the military might be an option if they can give you an education during or after. Ok good luck, go get 'em.  :top:

THIGV wrote:
Hysticali wrote:

Thanks.  I forgot that RMIT is another option.  To Chocosko:  It would have its ups and downs but you probably could work in ESL "illegally" to support yourself while working on a degree.  Don't worry too much about it as a majority of ESL teachers in the country don't have a work permit anyway.  Just go for it.

You're encouraging people breaking the law? Tsk ...tsk...

QuidProQuo wrote:

You're encouraging people breaking the law? Tsk ...tsk...

See my #11 above.   :cool:  I guess I have been at least partially broken down in the face of reality.

By the way, I see that you stated that you are living in the Cayman Islands.  As that is an English speaking country I doubt that you are supporting yourself as an ESL teacher while there.  How is it?   Isn't it reputedly the money hiding and tax avoidance capitol of the whole world?

Oh my god!

Why do you limit yourself so much around teaching English? This path is overcrowded and your chance is low competing those that come from English-speaking countries.

Why don't you think of being a cook, a barrista, Italian teacher or so? And why limit to Vietnam only? Any country has needs for Italian thing then off you go.

There are a few language centers that offer Italian language and you may find your opportunity there. Do not try to go to English-speaking schools in Vietnam because they are more expensive than taking school in Europe.

Browse around the internet, use your strength as being Italian.

I wish you all the best and research hard enough to find a way in your life!

I've got an English speaking mate who does online Italian translation for people trying to communicate over the phone. He gets quite a bit of work doing this and can work as many hours as he likes. Not sure about the details though. This would give you the flexibility to live in Vietnam and not rely on having to find a job there.

panda7 wrote:

I've got an English speaking mate who does online Italian translation for people trying to communicate over the phone. He gets quite a bit of work doing this and can work as many hours as he likes. Not sure about the details though. This would give you the flexibility to live in Vietnam and not rely on having to find a job there.

If it's okay to ask... Could i get in touch with your friend somehow? So that i can ask for details. It would help me a bunch. Also, to be honest, i will look for any job in Vietnam. Like i said, i have nine years of waiter experience. Maybe i vould ask to be hired by some italian restaurants. But i still want to try to be hired as ESL Teacher due to my dream to teach english.