How accommodating is Cambodia

Hello friends, I love traveling, though it is only London I have been able to visit. I really want to visit Cambodia. But I have no one I know there. Please, tell me, how accommodating is Cambodia?

You appear to be rather young, and from your post, are not very experienced in traveling. Are you planning on coming to Cambodia alone? I wouldn't reccommend it. If you are traveling with a group, you can do OK. On your own, you need to learn some Khmer, and be VERY aware of your surroundings at all times. There are many good folks in Cambodia, and most will be willing to help you as best they can. English is not that well spoken here, French may be a little better. Watch out for pickpockets and other thiefs. Pick your hotels carefully. This is NOT Thailand, which is very accomodating to tourists. The locals here have yet to catch on to the equation: Tourists = money for Cambodia!
I'm sure others will add to this posting. Good luck in your travels.

Hi Jane,

I've just moved to Phnom Penh from London and have found it quite accommodating. I can get by (at the moment) on English, although I do intend to start learning Khmer. The people are quite friendly as well (expats and locals), which is great.

That said, there are dangers in every country in the world. In the bigger cities in Cambodia, there is quite a bit of theft and some of the areas can be unsafe, so you do need to take precautions.

Another option that you could consider is joining a tour group with one of the many operators that travel to Cambodia (e.g. Explore!, Intrepid Travel, there are heaps of others). They take care of a lot of the details, so it can take some of the stress out of travelling alone.

cheers!
-Tim