Barbados: Extention of stay

I'm Andy, another Canadian making the move to BIM. I've done all the research, I have all the details I need to make the move but I'm curious about peoples immigration status.

Did you guys apply for the extension of stay visa? If so, how long did they give you?

Being Canadian, I believe we can stay in the country for 6 months as a tourist, I was considering going back home to Toronto every six months or applying for the extension of stay... Any advice would be grateful!

I was there for over 8 months in the last year. Getting an extension is fairly easy but allow at least a month as the red tape wheels can move very slowly and two weeks becomes almost 6 in my case. You can always just hop over to Grenada for a day or two and re enter and start your 3 month stay over.

Why are U moving there Andy? If it's to Work, you'll have to look into the specific visa for that.  As a "visitor", the 6 months with the visit visa would work out if you plan on coming back to Toronto every six months.  I also believe that if you ever leave the island and re-enter your 6 months begins again. You can typically fly to many of the islands nearby in under an hour.  My family is from Guyana so, I figured I'd go there! I also travel to the US quite frequently so, the regular visitor visa is ample.  Have fun & keep us posted!

Thanks for the reply Barry... your response makes me think of new question... when you originally entered Barbados (day 1 of your 8 months) did you already have a return ticket back home? I'm reading that one of the criteria for getting the extension of stay is already having your return flight booked. How did you handle that or did it even come up?

Last question... how long did they give you? is there a set amount of time they give for extension of stay or can you ask for any amount of time? Can I ask for a year or even two years?

Thanks again

Whitewings,

not going there to work, I'm going there to surf and relax... early retirement :)

I had a return ticket that I could cancel or change when I entered. You get a three month visa on entry and will need to go to immigration to get an extension of three months. I don't think you can get a one year visa. The 3 month extension cost about $100 if I recall.

Thanks for the info. I think as Canadians we get 6 months actually, I know Brits only get 3 but according to the Barbados immigration website we get 6... Lucky us!

I have been 3 times. Each time at the airport I was given 3 months but I have heard of people getting a six month at the airport if they ask. But that was years ago. You are allowed 6 but perhaps they want the extension visa income. Not sure.

thanks again for sharing your experience...

Hi again Barry... did you simply ask the immigration officer at the airport as you came off the plane for the extension or did you go into an office somewhere and speak to a different agent?

Hi  Andy, you will need to call the Immigration Office located in Bridgetown, set an appointment and speak with an officer, no worry man just come down.

I am a Barbadian  (Bagan), born, live and work here.

I went to the immigration office in Bridgetown. You will need 2 passport photos and there is a form to fill out and then meet with an immigration officer and obtain your extension. I think there was a $100 fee. Go early to the office. It is a busy place.

Hi Barry. When you went to immigration did they have to take any copies of the documents you carried in?