Cost of living in Barbados

Hi everybody,

Could sombody answer som of teh questions below?

I am thinking about moving to Barbados and will be working at the airport, I have a 12 year old daughter who will be going into secondary school and i just need some help with somr questions.

How much does it cost to live in Barbados and would $4000US be enough to live comfortably on and save for a rainy day? 

> accommodation prices (houses)

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> Leasing a car monthly

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction, how hard is it to get a child into a school?

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity,Petrol/ Diesel, Gas)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

Many thanks.

Hi Dublindel and welcome to Expat.com!

Hope that you'll soon get replies.;)

Harmonie.

Hey Dublin, are you a pilot?  I have applied for a position there as a pilot and am trying to figure out if the pay would be enough to get by on and save a little as well.  Best of luck to you.

Hi there,
yes 4000Usd should be enough. The average of barbadians earn as much as I know about 1000 to 1500 Usd a month.

I am not living there yet. So i hope someone who lives there can answer you the other questions.

the bus is 2 bbd to every where.

food is expensive, supermarket is for me 300bbd a week minimum. orange juice, milk and so on is expensive as well. rum is cheaper than cheese lol

mobile is cheap, comparing it to germany.

the landline is a monthly fee, I think 100 bbd (not 100% sure) and then it is free from landline to landline, like a flat rate

the house prices are expensive too, especially renting. (Barbados is expensive in general but worth it!)

I am not drinking beer so I do not know exactly, I think banks beer was 4bbd. barbadians do not drink much coffee so it is a little more expensive.

energy prices are ok comparing it to the us or europe. gasoline is but I cannot exactly tell how much.

i hope i was able to help at least a bit.

knuddale

of course if you have any other questions just send me a message. i will respond as soon as i can, cause i know how annoying it is when you are looking for help and not getting any. :)

knuddale

thank You Kunddale for the information, it was quite helpfull.

I need the cost of living for a year in Barbados and the household income PLEASE.
I am a student and I am doing my sociology project.

Dublindel  I just saw your post have you settle in, how about your daughter she like the school, and how is she doing in school all the best

I'm considering moving to barbados I need help for some info. Is it difficult to find jobs even menial. What is the monthly pay for menial jobs? Can someone find one bedroom apartment 300-400bd$ a month can anyone give me tips pls thanks

Hello vic2mine,

This thread has been inactive since 2013, I suggest you create a new one in the Barbados forum to have more interactions.

Thank you,
Marjorie