Americans getting married in Budapest

Hello!

My fiance and I are planning our wedding for Budapest in April of next year.  We are both American citizens (born and raised in the USA), but have strong ties to Hungary. I'm the only one in my family that wasn't born in Europe, and my fiance's grandfather was born in Budapest.

We are working with a wedding planner, but have run into some questions about the legal paperwork needed to get married.

I can speak Hungarian pretty well, but can't write or read it, and I don't think my Hungarian is good enough for legal document questions.

I wanted to know if any other Americans have gotten married in Budapest before, and if so, could anyone provide some help:

I know that I'll get a certificate of no impediment from the Embassy, and they prepare it on the spot for us. We are going in December to turn in our paperwork, so we should be good there on the timeline.

Now, what I have questions on are the following:
-Birth Certificate: I understand that this needs to be translated into Hungarian, and there is an official I can send it to.  Does anyone know if I need to get an Apostille for the birth certificate and if so, does that have to be translated into Hungarian as well?

Passport: Do I need to get my passport translated into Hungarian? Does this require an apostille?

ID: Do I need to get my driver's license translated into Hungarian? Or is this document even needed?

From what I can tell, I think I just need the birth certificate translated, to free-to-marry document translated, and a passport that can remain in English.

Thanks for any help!

Sounds complicated.   Others have posted extensively about this sort of thing so easy to search for it in these forums.

BTW, out of curiosity,  why not get married in the US of A?  Then it's done and dusted without a pile of hassle with translations and what have you.  You might want to get your marriage certificate translated later as it can be useful in all sorts of unexpected ways.

Just to say,  you probably know (I hope) that only the civil ceremony officially matters here anyway.  And that's done at an office with a registrar.

The big fancy party is only that - just a party.

Mr. Fluffy makes a very good point.
Why not marry in the US and have a honeymoon and party in Hungary?
If you are not planning on living in Hungary then why go through all the hassle of a wedding here?
My son married around 2005 in HU but he is a dual citizen of the US and HU and his wife was a HU citizen.
It was still a long expensive hassle and he only went as far in the end to get the civil ceremony.
They had booked at the church near the "bottomless lake" in Buda but had to wait months for a open date.
In the mean time since my son is not a Catholic, he had to take "Catholic classes" for a few months beforehand to be able to use the church.
All his lessons were in Hungarian which he couldn't understand, didn't matter because they charged him for his lessons, what a joke!
Even without going along with the big church wedding it still took months to get the civil thing done with.You also need to book a date with them etc.
I have forgotten the details but he had a HU passport but did need translations of his birth certificate and maybe other translations.
If you marry in Hungary you must also register the marriage at the marriage office at your local city hall. If you do not have an address in Hungary and address card I'm not sure you can do that.
Get married in Vegas for a few hundred bucks and then party in Budapest with family, less hassle and more time to enjoy Hungary.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Mr. Fluffy makes a very good point.
Why not marry in the US and have a honeymoon and party in Hungary?
If you are not planning on living in Hungary then why go through all the hassle of a wedding here?
Get married in Vegas for a few hundred bucks and then party in Budapest with family, less hassle and more time to enjoy Hungary.

Yes, I forgot about the Catholic lessons and the marriage office.  Laughable to me but perhaps seriously of interest for others.  I've been to a few weddings recently and all of the couples were living together for years beforehand.  So it''s all rather hypocritical to pretend in front of a priest. Anyways, we didn't really care for the big ceremony stuff and we're each actively against  the religious thing to varying degrees and reasons.   

Mrs Fluffy and I did the deed in the UK for about £200 ($300'ish).  Our biggest expense was flying in once and driving once. 

But we were married later in life after years of being together so it was just an admin matter as far as we were concerned.  We only got married because of having kids and annoying issues over nationality (of the kids) at the time.  Had to be married for them to be dual nationals - UK law at the time.

We had no formal party either. We just said to the relatives, anyone who wants to come, can come.  15 turned up.  Not too bad.

Yes, also if you do not plan on living in Hungary you will be stuck with all your legal marriage paperwork written in Hungarian.
Little use in the US.
We also got married for "tax reasons" only. At least that's what my husband said. He was paying out as a single tax filer and supporting a family of 3.Might as well play the game since "they" make the rules.
Also not to be negative but real, if you divorce later on then you will be stuck trying to get your divorce lawyers to understand your marriage papers from Hungary plus you will have to inform the HU marriage offices of your divorce in case later one of you wants to remarry and visit Hungary or if either of you inheriate property in Hungary and are divorced.If not then your ex could possibly hold things up in probate court as they may be entiltiled to some of your  "stuff".
If you marry in Hungary then you must inform them of any later divorce or risk another hassle that may or may not happen.
It sounds'romantic' to get married in a fairytale church in Hungary but in reality it isn't worth it unless you're both super religious wealthy enough to pay for everything and wanting to show the family a wedding.
The marriage office civil thing is the real wedding in Hungary, the church wedding comes after the civil one anyways, the church wedding is all show  and could take place months after the civil one.
My son had the civil marriage in HU. It was sort of unformal but he said they were nice, think they on the panel, 3 people I think it was kissed them both on the checks and gave his wife some flowers.
Of course he paid for that too.
You sit in front of 3 people and sign papers from what he told me, we missed that one.
He had planned on getting married when we were in HU so the big wedding could happen.
He got cold feet and refused to be pushed into marriage. We left HU
but he stayed behind and got "suckered" into marriage without his back up there for him.
We were not against his wife but she wanted the world and was over bearing.
We even ordered a nice wedding cake for the day he was suppose to marry in the civil thing in Hu while we were still in HU.
Hmm, no marriage, no cake for them... Actually we gave them the top teir to eat with the little couple on top, my husband gave his mom the middle teir and we kept the bottom teir to ourselves, was a really tasty cake,they even ordered the flowers to put on their car.... Sad more tears of sorrow then joy with that women.
I personally think having a white wedding is only for the innocent, most couples these days have dipped into deep waters before marriage so it is a bit phony to have a white wedding to me.
My eldest sister had a nice white wedding when she was 19 and her husband 26, she was a pure bride however, not that common to find one of those these days.
She was later married again 3 more times, I'm sure she married each time hoping it would work out.
White weddings are for show mostly these days unless the couple is very religious and kept themselves pure before marriage, if not what a silly waste of money and time.
Not to be a moralist but Vegas isn't bad, I married there in 1978 and still in the same marriage. Of course we married on Dec. 31st. just so we could claim the full back year on our taxes.
My mother was over the moon that that "foreign man" had given his "bastard" son a name...She finally used my husband's first name when addressing him and she loved him later on, for 3 years she hated his guts for us not getting married. Think she was happier on my wedding day then I was!
My son later married again to a Japanese lady in Vegas, then they flew to Japan and had a big western sort of wedding with her family there. I missed the 3 times he took vows, sort of sucks as a mother to miss those big events.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Yes, also if you do not plan on living in Hungary you will be stuck with all your legal marriage paperwork written in Hungarian.
Little use in the US.
We also got married for "tax reasons" only. At least that's what my husband said. He was paying out as a single tax filer and supporting a family of 3.Might as well play the game since "they" make the rules.....
It sounds'romantic' to get married in a fairytale church in Hungary but in reality it isn't worth it unless you're both super religious wealthy enough to pay for everything and wanting to show the family a wedding.
The marriage office civil thing is the real wedding in Hungary, the church wedding comes after the civil one anyways, the church wedding is all show  and could take place months after the civil one.

Spot on Marilyn!

In my own country (UK), more kids are born out of wedlock than in it.  It's a fading institution really but as usual the government is slow to catch up. 

One of my relatives had a fancy wedding in a cathedral in the UK, with all the trimmings, penguin suits and blah-blah.  And.....divorced in 2 years.....what a waste of time and money.   Married again and didn't tell anyone and just civil registry and a couple of witnesses! Cheapest of cheapest marriages!

40% of marriages go belly up (UK statistic but probably same elsewhere - Hungary even higher).

With that rate of divorce, my own kids will have to pay for their weddings themselves if they get married at all!

hungariansteven wrote:

Now, what I have questions on are the following

Have you contacted the nearest Hungarian Embassy or consulate in the USA? They probably can give the best, up to date answers. And up to date is important. Laws change here all the time. Someone getting married here a few years ago may give you wrong answers under current law.

Side notes:

If you and your Fiancee have Hungarian family history, it may be to consider to get Hungarian Passports... that may make things easier.

Agree with other posters --- since only the civil marriage counts here, get married in the USA. If the reason to get married in Hungary is for the "family and relatives" (which may include the "church things), then be aware you are being dragged around into Hungarian Bureaucracy for them.... Which really... seriously.... is not really worth it if you never move here (and probably not worth it even if you move here).

fluffy2560 wrote:

Married again and didn't tell anyone and just civil registry and a couple of witnesses! Cheapest of cheapest marriages!

I have found, by those I know, that the "escape and marry" marriages actually last longer than the "agreed" huge family ones. Real love does not care what "the family thinks".

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Married again and didn't tell anyone and just civil registry and a couple of witnesses! Cheapest of cheapest marriages!

I have found, by those I know, that the "escape and marry" marriages actually last longer than the "agreed" huge family ones. Real love does not care what "the family thinks".

Yup, I second that - mostly.   

After one gets married for oneself, not for everyone else. 

I wouldn't necessary describe it as a "escape and marry".  It's just getting married. 

I mean if you are older, maybe even been married before, then it's none of anyone else's business. 

Mrs Fluffy and I thought of it as an administrative event for ourselves.

Thanks everyone for your input!

We know about the civil marriage being in the courthouse in Hungary, which isn't a deal breaker.

You being up good points about having just a “secret” wedding at home and then doing the “ceremony” in Hungary.  I think that's our back up plan if we can't figure out our paperwork or we end up not having all we need in December.

As far as why we are considering it- all
my family is in Europe still except my mom and sister. Most of them are elderly and can't travel far to the USA to be a part of it.  So we wanted to take it to them.

Also, my father passed away fairly recently and he always made sure I knew my heritage, taught me Hungarian before I learned English in the USA, etc. it's a personal thing, but it's in my head a way I can have him be a part of it without him being there to be a part of it.

The other thing is my fiancé is a wedding planner in the USA, and often handles big weddings here. Way too expensive weddings that are done and over in just a few hours, with way too many people invited.

We wanted to do something small that is different from what she is used to doing over and over again in the USA.

Also, the costs of traveling to Hungary to get married, including the official translations is still way cheaper than some of our wedding options in the USA. And it allows us to get two weeks of vacation time, which gives us much more value for our money than just one day. Also gets us our honeymoon taken care of as well. 

Ultimately, we figured this would be a way to not regret spending to to little on our wedding, but also avoiding spending too much for our budget.

Thanks for the suggestion on the embassy, they helped us figure out the certificate of no impediment, which was a huge relief. They just recommended we reach out the wedding office in the district we are getting married in for other documentation questions.   

We have some time, but just figured I'd ask Incase anyone else has gone through it. Our wedding planner will also help us, I'm just eager and try to get everything done as soon as possible.

Lots of things to think about! Thanks again everyone for your input and advice. Appreciate all your help and for taking some time to comment!

Since you never know when you might need a very official copy of your marriage certificate in the States, be sure to have it apostilled before you leave. If you can get certified copies, even better to have several made and apostilled and stored separately. Papers easily get lost over the years as people move around and such.

hungariansteven wrote:

Thanks everyone for your input!

We know about the civil marriage being in the courthouse in Hungary, which isn't a deal breaker.

You being up good points about having just a “secret” wedding at home and then doing the “ceremony” in Hungary.  I think that's our back up plan if we can't figure out our paperwork or we end up not having all we need in December.

As far as why we are considering it- all
my family is in Europe still except my mom and sister. Most of them are elderly and can't travel far to the USA to be a part of it.  So we wanted to take it to them.

Also, my father passed away fairly recently and he always made sure I knew my heritage, taught me Hungarian before I learned English in the USA, etc. it's a personal thing, but it's in my head a way I can have him be a part of it without him being there to be a part of it.

Well good luck to you.  Your secret wedding isn't really secret, it's just administration the same as here.  It's the only one that counts and it's the only one you have to do.  It's not in a courthouse, it's in a registrar's office - I was in one once for a marriage ceremony.  I think it was about 20 minutes long or so. 

Your wedding party is obviously still possible here but don't forget there's supposed to be a residence requirement for the formality at the registrars. I think (it was a long time ago) you need to be here 4 weeks continuously for notices in the district where you do the deed. In the UK we call them "banns", I don't know about the USA or here.  Maybe it's different here now.

When Mrs Fluffy and I got married, there was a difference of 1 week between HU and the UK on residence.  So UK 3 weeks, HU 4 weeks and UK didn't really care about the paperwork so much - didn't even require translations of Mrs Fluffy's documents.  So it was a no brainer, we did the UK because it was faster and we had no time to do it otherwise - it was a rush job.   We got back here - married - and 3 weeks later our Fluffyette was born 4 weeks prematurely. Not that you'd know our baby arrived early, taller than me now!   

So we were lucky really to make it - not for any moral or religious reasons - if we hadn't have been married our kid would not have been automatically a dual national. 

BTW, December will almost certainly be cold,  possibly with snow, and way below 0 C possibly.  January could be  even worse.

According to Hungarian law, only civil marriages are legally valid in Hungary. The religious ceremony is optional and has no legal status.

The legal age for getting married in Hungary is 18 years.

A civil marriage, performed according to the laws of Hungary, is generally recognised in other countries. This should be checked with the relevant authorities of the country in question.

Marriage Requirements
One of the couple must be resident in Hungary for at least 30 days before the wedding can take place.

First, the couple must visit or call the local registry office (Anyakönyvvezet?i Hivatal) where they wish to get married, in order to obtain a permit. It is advisable to start the procedure about 60 days before the planned ceremony so that the arrangements can be completed by the Hungarian authorities.

The following documents are needed:

Valid passport or ID card (személyazonosító igazolvány), and address card (lakcímkártya) (for Hungarian residents)
Document certifying the place of residence
Certificate of No Impediment to Marry (for foreigners - this can be obtained from the embassy/consulate of the foreigner's home country) or Certificate of Marital Status (családi állapot igazolás) for Hungarians
Full birth certificate (születési anyakönyvi kivonat) with the parents' names on it ;
Copy of the decree absolute (bontóperi ítélet) if divorced
Death certificate if widowed
Additional documents may be required depending on the nationality of each of the future spouses
The documents must be translated into Hungarian by the Hungarian Office for Translation and Attestation (Országos Fordító és Fordítás-hitelesít? Intézet - OFFI). No other translation company is acceptable. All documents must have an Apostille stamp.

Hungarian Office for Translation and Attestation
At: 1062 Budapest, Bajza u. 52
Tel: (1) 428 9600

The registrar must establish whether the marriage is in compliance with the Hungarian rule of law, as it must be valid on the basis of the laws of the home countries of both parties.

The couple should also decide if they wish to change their name before the ceremony and what family name their future children will have, as the registrar has to decide if it is possible.

Notice of Marriage
Some Embassies require that a Notice of Marriage is displayed at least 21 days prior to the marriage. Check with the relevant consulate or embassy in Hungary.

U.S. Embassy in Hungary

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Little use in the US.
We also got married for "tax reasons" only. At least that's what my husband said. He was paying out as a single tax filer and supporting a family of 3.Might as well play the game since "they" make the rules.....

Spot on Marilyn!

In my own country (UK), more kids are born out of wedlock than in it.  It's a fading institution really but as usual the government is slow to catch up. 

One of my relatives had a fancy wedding in a cathedral in the UK, with all the trimmings, penguin suits and blah-blah.  And.....divorced in 2 years.....what a waste of time and money.   Married again and didn't tell anyone and just civil registry and a couple of witnesses! Cheapest of cheapest marriages!

40% of marriages go belly up (UK statistic but probably same elsewhere - Hungary even higher).

With that rate of divorce, my own kids will have to pay for their weddings themselves if they get married at all!

Having a friend married for an entire 2 years is ages!! Just kidding.
My friend and c0-worker in a Westwood, Ca. beauty salon was married for an entire 2 weeks!!
She was 18, I was 28 but we met at the same level mentally and were good buddies.
She came from a wealthy family though and was a tiny bit spoiled, OK really spoiled.
She looked like a red headed Marilyn Monroe .
She met her husband who was from S. Africa in LA and they wanted to marry.
Her father Had retired fairly early in life after his nephew embezzled funds from the tire co. he had owned with his brother.
Those from S.Ca. in the 1970's and 80's might remember the radio add that was always on the rock FM station for Pausatraction Tires.
Ok so her dad threw her a big wedding, just a small affair at home that only cost in the 1980's a bit over $40,000. Just a small gathering with and entire marching band walking through their property.
I was invited to the wedding, then asked to be a brides maid then things changed and I was asked to not be a brides maid because someone else had their feeling hurt for not being asked , just so lame that I just didn't go at all,hate it when people ask something so large then change their minds.Just can't be bothered with confusion.
Ok so after her honeymoon, she invited me over to Studio City where they had rented a little cottage.
She wanted to show me her wedding gifts etc. and talk about marrie dlife.
In the middle of the conversation she told me she had already been seeing her ex-boyfriend and was bored with married life!!! 2 whole weeks time!!!
Think perhaps using all those chemicals in the salon had done her b4rain in!
I've decided to not really consider people a couple until their 10 year mark at a min.
My son has paid for his first wedding and his FIL paid about $10,000 in Japan for their second including the family honeymoon. Yes the entire family went on the honeymoon with my son and DIL.
He did pay to get to Japan. They had 2 different outfits for their wedding, one western style and one with traditional Japanese clothing and hair.Had a time of it since my son is 6'3" tall, had to talior everything for him even though the clothing was all rental. That's how they do it in Japan they rent everything.
Not like my insane HU ex DIL who had 2 different custom made dresses made up for herself. One for the civil wedding and a huge one for the church wedding that never happened. Had everything from pearls to shoes but no big wedding in the end, finally my son woke up since he was paying for everything in HU. Her mother was well off but cheaper then dirt.
Legal marriage is only a piece of paper if the couple isn't one in their personal lives.
I remember when my HU husband and mom got into it once because we were not legally married yet but had our son.
My husband was a bit rude to my mother but his emotions got the best of him, he told her, "we'll get married and I'll give you the pa[er so you can wipe your bottom with it" his way of saying it's only paper if two people are not commited to the relationship.
His mom and step-dad were a couple when he was a toddler but didn't "tie the knot" until he was in his teens. In Hu even in the 1960's those social cutoms weren't as huge as we think they were. They lived "in sin" for well over a decade before getting "hitched".
His mom's first marriage to his father was held in that old church near Elizabeth bridge, forgot the name of it, second one was just a civil thing. His parents married before WW11 and I'm not sure if they had just civil marriages back before HU turned communist.
My parents got married in a courthouse but back in the 1940's they had to have blood tests first.
My sister had to have blood tests done to get married in the late 1960's, perhaps because she had a church wedding?
My other sister got married in Vegas with no blood tests done.That was in 1970.
Her wedding was straight out of Kill Bill, she and her husband were dressed like Hippies, I was 14 and also dressed like a Hippie and my parents and step-dad were dressed in the road gear we had travel in. Mom had brought a suit and tie for her husband and my father was there to give my sis away, we all had dressy clothing to wear but once we got into Vegas my mom insisted we get them hitched right away before anyone ran away! It was so funny. I was laughing the whole time, mom giving me dirty looks to shut up. The minister was wearing a huge 10 gallon cowboy hat and the whole affair was surreal.

SimCityAT wrote:

The documents must be translated into Hungarian by the Hungarian Office for Translation and Attestation (Országos Fordító és Fordítás-hitelesít? Intézet - OFFI). No other translation company is acceptable. All documents must have an Apostille stamp.

Hungarian Office for Translation and Attestation
At: 1062 Budapest, Bajza u. 52
Tel: (1) 428 9600

Good info but I believe the OFFI monopoly no longer exists. 

Anyone who is an approved translator with a rubber stamp can do it now.

SimCityAT wrote:

The couple should also decide if they wish to change their name before the ceremony and what family name their future children will have, as the registrar has to decide if it is possible.

Mrs Fluffy decided to keep her name and I support that.  She's her own person.   The kids have my family name - it was easier for passports.   Here, if you have a kid, you have to name it there and then in the hospital as they tell the Registrar's Office.  In other countries you can decide later.   

Our kids have "foreign" names which don't appear in the big book of official names.  Causes some weirdness here and there as their names are "unexpected" to Hungarian ears.

Our son has a Persian or middle eastern first name, a Hawaiian middle name and a very old Hungarian last name.
Didn't know we were giving him a Persian name when we picked it out, it just fit him and I wanted to give him a first name that started with an A.
My husband was pushing for the name of Sebastian , which is nice but I didn't see that a fitting our son.
Zoltan was one I liked but since he was born in the US my husband didn't wish to give him a HU first name and "pigeon" hole him into fitting the name.
As it was in grade school the kids would set him off by calling him, Ar*** the Hungarian Barbarian.
Ever see a 7 year old red head get mad? not a pretty sight.
I was forever being called into the school to see the principle over anger management issues.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Our son has a Persian or middle eastern first name, a Hawaiian middle name and a very old Hungarian last name.
Didn't know we were giving him a Persian name when we picked it out, it just fit him and I wanted to give him a first name that started with an A.
My husband was pushing for the name of Sebastian , which is nice but I didn't see that a fitting our son.
Zoltan was one I liked but since he was born in the US my husband didn't wish to give him a HU first name and "pigeon" hole him into fitting the name.
As it was in grade school the kids would set him off by calling him, Ar*** the Hungarian Barbarian.
Ever see a 7 year old red head get mad? not a pretty sight.
I was forever being called into the school to see the principle over anger management issues.

Works the other way too - people here get really confused by British names here. 

They get the pronunciation wrong and even the spelling so that a kid can have two names on paperwork - the mispronounced/misspelt  HU version and the proper one.   

Imagine being called János on one set of paperwork and John on another!  Even the accents on the letters change things - Peter vs Péter.  Or being called Irwin and getting listed as Iván due to people's hearing not being tuned in to it - unexpected what one writes and what one hears.

You cannot get away from it but now the kids are old enough to explain themselves without Mrs Fluffy or I trying to intervene. 

I liked unusual names because people would remember you but sometimes I wonder if I got it wrong! 

God forbid we'd called our kids some localised names here which couldn't "travel" with them and get tainted by other experiences.   I'm quite used to HU names but others elsewhere not!

Attila reminds me of Attila the Hun and Zoltan reminds me of a cheap movie Zoltan - Hound of Dracula.

Doesn't always work!

My cousin went to Seminary school and went to India, he then became a Muslim and legally changed his last name to a Muslim one.
Came back after 6 or 7 years to the US and then switched back to being a Christain.
He never bothered to change back to his old surname.
He's nuts, and has the papers to prove it!
In school 99% of all my Ca. teachers either were stupid or did it on purpose because every one of them called me Pollack.
Not my maiden surname but close.
I wonder if they disliked Poles or the old anti- eastern European thing was that dumb in the US after WW11, those darn commies....
It made me mad and I often just didn't respond or I'd correct the teacher about how to say my name.
they finally just called me by my first name.
jerks!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My cousin went to Seminary school and went to India, he then became a Muslim and legally changed his last name to a Muslim one.
Came back after 6 or 7 years to the US and then switched back to being a Christain.
He never bothered to change back to his old surname.
He's nuts, and has the papers to prove it!
In school 99% of all my Ca. teachers either were stupid or did it on purpose because every one of them called me Pollack.
Not my maiden surname but close.
I wonder if they disliked Poles or the old anti- eastern European thing was that dumb in the US after WW11, those darn commies....
It made me mad and I often just didn't respond or I'd correct the teacher about how to say my name.
they finally just called me by my first name.
jerks!

Was your cousin nuts before he went to India?

Strange thing about the Poles in the UK is that the first wave that came in WW2 is very respected by my post-war generation.  We actually went to war against Germany because they invaded Poland. 

Most of the Polish came to fight against the Germans and Polish Air Force was well known for their bravery and prowess.  Even my mother (RIP) had a Polish boyfriend at one point!   I remember people of Polish origin in college and no-one had anything bad to say against them.   They were just part of the flora and fauna of the place.   One Polish origin guy (his Dad was Polish WW2 fighter) was a really smart cookie.  And he had a car! 

Things have changed now - local people are against the 1M Poles in the UK and that was a driver for Brexit. Ludicrous thinking and behaviour - all should be welcome but then again I'm a left leaning liberal earth child aka (in the right's eyes) spawn of the devil.   OV, Salvini and many others should think about their own countries' history of fascism.

Love and Peace!  :heart:

fluffy2560 wrote:

I'm a left leaning liberal earth child aka (in the right's eyes) spawn of the devil.

Adam was the first earth child. Literally from the dust of the earth:

"Then the Lord God formed a man[c] from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being." - Genesis 2:4-3:24 New International Version

Only the modern Orwellian right, or the real devil's disciples, would try to twist that around.....  ;)

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

I'm a left leaning liberal earth child aka (in the right's eyes) spawn of the devil.

Adam was the first earth child. Literally from the dust of the earth:

"Then the Lord God formed a man[c] from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being." - Genesis 2:4-3:24 New International Version

Only the modern Orwellian right, or the real devil's disciples, would try to twist that around.....  ;)

Hopelessly off topic....

Hmmm...provocative, fighting words despite the smiley......maybe I can do anti-Orwellian twists too ....

".....The world was dull, dark and without fun or humour and from whence we know not,  there was a grinding and nashing of teeth, a seething mass of flesh, the offspring sprung forth,  the nightmare of rightist thinking, a pussycat of a leftist liberal.  And ye, the prophets noted the signs of the hippy, the lazy ways, the sacred numbers of the hounded as 24601, and lo, the proclamation was uttered, and the child of the liberal devil was named to come forth ...for it was a Fluffy.....one of the many disenfranchised"  ....Book of Fluffy Chap. 1 verse 1.

But I digress pointlessly... what's really odd is this idea ofAdam's rib....pfff....yeah right...I expect that a typical symbol of the right Mike "a few short of a pound" Pence believes all that.   Alternative facts win (currently) again.

I should be working so obviously thinking it's a slow day again in Fluffyland!

fluffy2560 wrote:

Hmmm...provocative, fighting words despite the smiley.....

No problem. I actually have boxing gloves....  :D

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Cool.  I have a natural fat suit.

As I think I mentioned before here, the OFFI monopoly seems to have formally ended only for certain purposes -- court proceedings, I recall -- and I was at least unclear whether government agencies would still be free to insist on OFFI translations. It would be great if anyone has first-hand experience using non-OFFI translations recently.

zif wrote:

As I think I mentioned before here, the OFFI monopoly seems to have formally ended only for certain purposes -- court proceedings, I recall -- and I was at least unclear whether government agencies would still be free to insist on OFFI translations. It would be great if anyone has first-hand experience using non-OFFI translations recently.

Yes, good point.

OFFI stuff comes nicely presented with a HU flag type ribbon, special paper and stamps and stuff. 

It's all smoke and mirrors as the translation of our marriage certificate is a bit strange, even clumsy. 

It's not OFFIly good.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

We went to a boxing match in Vegas this last trip over.
There were several matches with female boxers. Wow, they don't pull any punches!
My cousin is 72 and works out at the boxing gym where they had this charity event happening.
A young Mexican boxer aged 17 was an up and coming boxer, he had been in a gang and had left the gang for better things.
As he walked near his mom's home in N Vegas he was shot and killed on the street by his former gang.
All  entry fees for this even went to his mom for his funeral.
My mom's half brother was 19 years her senior and was 3/4th Mohawk. He was a pretty famous boxer in his day, he was also Jack Dempsey's sparring partner.
I remember visiting him and his Hungarian wife in Conn. when I was 12.
He had the shakes from so many head punches.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

There were several matches with female boxers. Wow, they don't pull any punches!
My cousin is 72 and works out at the boxing gym where they had this charity event happening.
A young Mexican boxer aged 17 was an up and coming boxer, he had been in a gang and had left the gang for better things.
As he walked near his mom's home in N Vegas he was shot and killed on the street by his former gang.
My mom's half brother was 19 years her senior and was 3/4th Mohawk. He was a pretty famous boxer in his day, he was also Jack Dempsey's sparring partner.

Watching boxing fulfils a primal urge but it's pretty obvious that it isn't a healthy profession. Being beaten around the head isn't going to do your shaken but not stirred brain a lot of good. No-one (sensible) would agree to someone hitting you on the head with a metal pole so why would anyone agree to being hit with fists? Origin of the phrase punch drunk. 

Just to keep on topic, one could make a bad joke about saving the fisticuffs for marriage but there's nothing funny about inter-spouse abuse/domestic violence.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:
klsallee wrote:

Watching boxing fulfils a primal urge but it's pretty obvious that it isn't a healthy profession. Being beaten around the head isn't going to do your shaken but not stirred brain a lot of good. No-one (sensible) would agree to someone hitting you on the head with a metal pole so why would anyone agree to being hit with fists? Origin of the phrase punch drunk. 

Just to keep on topic, one could make a bad joke about saving the fisticuffs for marriage but there's nothing funny about inter-spouse abuse/domestic violence.

Yes,I agree getting beaten about the head doesn't do one good.
My uncle was able to move up from being a poor "Indian" to having a few big bucks in his pocket. Back in  the 1920's it wasn't too easy for a Native American to even get a decent job.
These kids in Vegas were mostly Mexican children, maybe their way of trying to improve their lot in life by going pro?
I've been hit so hard on the head at least 4 times I can remember , not fun.Once went head first into a tree when on my bike. Was thrown off a horse, sucker punched once with a history book at school. And once I even walked myself face first into a door... gave myself a nice black eye, another time I hit my head on the top of my car and had a huge black eye and swollen forehead....
That happened the very day before we flew to Hungary in 1978. Everyone on my flight was giving my husband dirty looks when they saw my face. Met my MIL while sporting a black eye... I was placing my son in the back seat of my Volvo in his car seat when the door pushed me into the roof of the car. Yes, Likely story but true.These silly things always happen to me to keep me humble I suppose... Hard to "show off on holiday" with a black eye for 3 weeks time.Had a huge lump on my head too and a small cut on my forehead to boot, really impressive! Had ice packs on all night long, didn't help much,should of used a raw steak but we were vegaterians back then.

I don't need any help hitting my head, I can do the job on my own thank you.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I've been hit so hard on the head at least 4 times I can remember , not fun.Once went head first into a tree when on my bike. Was thrown off a horse, sucker punched once with a history book at school. And once I even walked myself face first into a door... gave myself a nice black eye, another time I hit my head on the top of my car and had a huge black eye and swollen forehead....
That happened the very day before we flew to Hungary in 1978. Everyone on my flight was giving my husband dirty looks when they saw my face. Met my MIL while sporting a black eye... I was placing my son in the back seat of my Volvo in his car seat when the door pushed me into the roof of the car. Yes, Likely story but true.
I don't need any help hitting my head, I can do the job on my own thank you.

Reminds me of a story I read of a woman who had plastic surgery - eye, nose, facelift job - and was recovering but looking bruised but felt able to go out and about.  She was in the supermarket with her husband and while he was off getting the vegetables and she stared at the tinned peaches,  a woman sidled up to her and said "You should leave him dear, he's not worth it".   

I've actually hit myself on the head a few times - I was shaking a glass bottle up rather enthusiastically  (don't ask why) and wasn't paying attention. I turned my head to talk to someone and whacked myself in the face with it.  Knock a chip out of my front tooth and cut my lip! 

I also managed to hit myself on the ear/head recently closing my own car door.   It really hurt.  I still don't know how I managed to hit myself in such a strange way.  I'm putting it down as the wind catching it.

We've got a cooker hood/extractor fan.  For some reason, the designers put all the buttons at the top and Mrs Fluffy isn't an Amazonian warrior so it's been installed (by me) quite low so she can reach. I have to keep away from it as I've already clonked my head on it several times.  If they had thought about it, they'd have put the buttons at the bottom.  If I had put it up higher, Mrs Fluffy couldn't reach the buttons without standing on something.   So we tried to compromise. We didn't notice the odd design defect for some months as it was in a box while we were building the house.

I seem to attract that kind of strange misfortune.  Weird stuff like that happens all the time.  It's almost Murphy's law.  But it seems I'm not the only one!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Well.... I just punch my punching bag. It is a great stress reliever. No people (at least not yet, but Fluffy's fat suit is tempting... haha  :D ).

klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Well.... I just punch my punching bag. It is a great stress reliever. No people (at least not yet, but Fluffy's fat suit is tempting... haha  :D ).

I think the fat suit has more rubbery "bounce" than a punch bag - come back and bonk you in the face!

Fat suit must be one of those Sumo  suits?
I remember seeing people wearing those for fun and bouncing around.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Yup, here's the type of thing:

http://extremeinflatables.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/sumo.jpg

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

[img align=C]http://extremeinflatables.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/sumo.jpg[/url]

OMG!!! Did you actually pay to ship this over?
It's funny but you need 2 suits to make it work.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

[img align=C]http://extremeinflatables.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/sumo.jpg[/url]

OMG!!! Did you actually pay to ship this over?

It's funny but you need 2 suits to make it work.

No, it's a joke really after Klsallee who said he had a punching bag.

I said I had "au naturale" fat suit as I'm a pumpkin after 17h (i.e. when work ends, I revert to my natural form). 

Could be a bit of fun dressing up for a bounce though!

.....And yesterday I hit my head getting in the car .......again!

We're way off topic ....somewhere near Pluto....

Yes, many people would not believe how many times a tall person knocks themselves in the head.
Some of the st. signs here in Budapest are hung so low that it is easy to take your head off if you don't look ahead first.
I freaked out when I hit my forehead on the roof of my car in 78, I was afraid I had to go to hospital and miss ou5r early morning flight to HU.
looked like a golf ball sized lump on my head with a cut and a black eye.
Thank God for sunglasses.
Another time I walked into a room and by accident half way shut the door behind me. It was dark in the room so I walked straight into the corner of the door, whack, another black eye and split lip.
I always had to tell people it wasn't my husband taking a shot at me. It looked like every 6 months I was hurting myself , lately knock on wood I've learned to slow down and look before I leap.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Yes, many people would not believe how many times a tall person knocks themselves in the head.
Some of the st. signs here in Budapest are hung so low that it is easy to take your head off if you don't look ahead first.....
I always had to tell people it wasn't my husband taking a shot at me. It looked like every 6 months I was hurting myself , lately knock on wood I've learned to slow down and look before I leap.

I'm not actually tall.  I'm just average but I was in a hurry.  I think that's it, slow down and look before getting in.  I've still got a bump.