Sense of humour in Belgium

Hello everyone,

Should we set out to explore Belgian's culture through its sense of humour? Indeed, if one is planning to settle in the country, it is best to understand the cultural codes governing humour in order to avoid any faux-pas.

What is special about the sense of humour in Belgium?

Is it acceptable to joke about any situations?

What is typically funny and what is absolutely not funny?

Are there any popular comedians in Belgium and how would one be able to discover them (stand-up shows, festivals, internet, etc.)?

What is the funniest joke you have heard in Belgium?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

What is special about the sense of humour in Belgium?

9/10 it's a very good sense of humour.
Points to note:
sarcasm/irony - might need explaining
poking fun out of your friends might be misinterpreted.

Is it acceptable to joke about any situations?

Absolutely, they love to fool around. So long as it's not a "serious" situation e.g. work/funeral/the french language (to the Walloons)/etc.

What is typically funny and what is absolutely not funny?

Funny:
English people trying to speak French/Dutch.
The Flemish (if Walloon). The Walloons (if Flemish).
Foreigners trying to drink with Belgians (don't try and keep up!)
The normal kinds of things TBH.
Unfortunately: racism is largely accepted and "funny".

Are there any popular comedians in Belgium and how would one be able to discover them (stand-up shows, festivals, internet, etc.)?

Yes, depends on the language. Try YouTube. (I watched one guy live who stole all of his jokes from English speaking comedians, so you can assume they have the same sense of humour!)

What is the funniest joke you have heard in Belgium?
My friend (French speaker) thought it was a great idea to combine 'high' and 'drunk' to get 'hunky'. I pointed out it was a real word. It was funny is situe

Please share your experience,

There is no sense of humour in Belgium, unless it is against another nationality.

Bastion-Bloke wrote:

There is no sense of humour in Belgium, unless it is against another nationality.

Welcome on our website,

It is everyone's right to have a positive or negative opinion.  But it would be nice to comment and / or explain why.  Because I could say the same for British humor, for example ...

Bastion-Bloke wrote:

I have never found anything wrong in Belgium.