E-Passport Chronicles

So a number of you h[/b]ave been wondering what in the world the Department of Immigration Services Services can do to make their services efficient. First of all the department has the capabilities and tools to be a top notch service provider in the region. So what I am proposing is already within their means and wouldn't require more resources to implement;

1. You all go to E-Citizen, Department of Immigration and fill in the online application form.

2. You then pay for the service on E-citizen and the department issues first an invoice and a receipt.

The next step should be simple and part of my recommendations;

3. Add an additional service on e-citizen so that the applicant can choose a date for appointment to present hard copy application papers (additional supporting documents. The system auto generates appointments based on available slots permissible per day based on the number of applications that can be processed each day.

4. On appointment date, you take your bio-metrics, digital photos and your application is officially logged in.

5. You receive a tracking number and an SMS confirmation of your application having been received.

6. I propose an opt in courier payment option on e-citizen to have your passport delivered to you upon being printed. This way we shall decongest the department as so many people make multiple trips only to be turned away after lining up because their passports are not ready.

7. The application hall at Nyayo House should be transformed into a proper banking hall. Introduce teller system with automatic slots for first come first serve basis. The department already have this system where every one picks up a number in the machine and waits to be called. Unfortunately the system fails due to the huge number of people in the little space.

Efficiency is one thing that will save the government money, it will save the citizens money too. We will efficiently use time and resources for improved services to the citizens. It is simple.

Brilliant suggestions my friend. I believe number 5 and 7 are in place although the tracking system and queuing systems are terribly inefficient and unreliable