Looking for a needle in a haystack

Hi everyone,

My husband a I lived in the Carribean for a couple of years. Now we are investigating to move to Portugal. We've been looking around Lisbon but this not what we are looking for. I think we are looking for a needle in a haystack - we are a little bit spoiled living in the Carribean - but maybe someone can help us.

We are looking for this:
- Village or city, closeby the ocean or sea (max 15 min drive);
- All the main services like supermarkets, restaurants closeby;
- A place where it is not too much overcrowded by young (and drunk) tourists in the summer;
- I don't like villages where the main road is right next to the houses (if you know what I mean);
- A nice center with shops, restaurants etc
- Nice bars/restaurants on the beach;
- Not on a steep hill with hairpin bends;
-  No former glory;
- Stupid thing, but I really don't like all the graffiti 🙈
- A lot of sun and no fog...

I know, we are spoiled and maybe we look for something that is not there. But of course we can do some concessions :-).

I hope to hear from you!

Stay in the Carribean .....

Sorry for the sauer previous message.
Thing is - my way - you have to give to receive...... Like any human relations.
Portugal is still intact from European city flaws, you know that. Now, I felt your way of layinfg out your wish was a bit like a well-off customer coming to a star graded restaurant asking for he caviar not to be too warm.
I am positive you are more than this as a person, but one of the reasons I am attracted to Portugal is that people here still have a soul.
We must act accordingly.
Cheers
Charles from Paris

Hi Charles,
My question could be better, I understand what you're meaning. The thing is that we looked for so many places in Europe and we cannot find a place that suits us. We have a wish to live in Southern Europe, more close to the family and hope to find it here. We look for Portugal, because the people here are like Carribean people, tranquila, live the day as it comes. We don't ask a lot (it seems like if you read my first topic) but just a nice village with a center with some local restaurants and a nice beach. Today we were in Praia Grande (Sintra) and that was beautiful. It is only too isolated for us. I think Portugal has definitely these kind of villages / cities we are looking for but we have seen only just a bit of it. That's why I ask the ‘locals' cq expats here. Now I see my topic starts a little bit snobbish what I did not mean :-).

Setubal may not be a needle in a haystack but, it is an excellent town...Taking the ferry boat, one has splendid beach (es) on TROIA.  .

Hi there,
You might look at Ericeira, Peniche, Nazaré, but some fog will be inevitable being an Atlantic country (this is not the Med)!

If I were you, I'd check Setubal. Excellent town, people, etc.

If you liked Praia Grande I suggest Almoçageme, Colares or even S. Pedro de Sintra. I think they fit very nicely in what you're looking for.