Moving household goods to Portugal

I am interested in hearing from people who have moved to Portugal who had their household goods/furniture shipped.  Is it cheaper to sell everything here in the U.S. and start over in Portugal or ship selective items to Portugal?
Fern

My guess is that it would be easier to sell everything in the US and start over. We just shipped our entire household, including lots of things of very little value. Cost us 8 Thousand Euros. I doubt that this was  wise economic decision. In our case the deciding factor was sentiment.

Thanks so much for your reply.  That is where I am leaning this time; to start all over.  There are some things I would want badly but it's just "stuff".

We're moving to Sicily but it's the same issue. We are both artists so we are putting much of our art materials in deep storage here in the states until such time as we may want them. Pretty much the only things we are bringing are art supplies as they are incredibly expensive in Europe. We're renting furnished for now and will gradually purchase necessities as needed. It has been an incredibly positive experience to downsize, sorting through so much stuff we have accumulated and simply lies unnoticed for years.

Thank you for your comment.  We have tossed all sorts of ideas about and are leaning toward storing those things we like until we "unlike them" enough to let go.  It is very rewarding and I felt a deep psychological relief when I let go of accumulated "stuff" that I hadn't seen or cared about for years.
Fern Reeves

Good furniture in PT seems more expensive than in US. Antiques even more so. If you have decent furniture (i.e. better than IKEA), it is worth it to ship  IF you have owned it outside of PT for more than 1 year. If you do not have receipts, photograph it a year before moving AND/OR have written statements from folks who have seen it a year or more ago. You can avoid  import tax this way.

BTW I already have a quote for moving my furniture door to door from SC to Faro,
The cost is less than buying equivalent or cheaper stuff from IKEA. It might not be cheaper for beds, but dining/living was much cheaper. Much depends upon whether you need a 20ft or 40ft or more container. 40ft was fine for me. I did not include estimates for the hot tub and for bulky and/or cheap stuff. Do take your bed linens. I have heard this from more than one person. Take PC if it has 110/220 switch. PC are expensive in PT. NOW is the time to downsize. If there is something you've not used in a year or so, say goodbye to it. PT has flea markets etc for replacements when needed. Dump 110v appliances unless you want transformer hassles. Don't ship large heavy electrical appliances unless they are dear to you. Shipping damage is possible. Again, you may need transformers.

DO pack the spouse, kids, and pets. They are difficult to replace.

You can apply for a certificate baggagem from your consulate to avoid duty and taxes. You are allowed two shipments in the first year of residency. You have to fill out a declaration stating you have lived in your country of residence for one year and everything is at least a year old.

I moved from the UK to Spain I down side from four bed to two everything went in to store, for a few months but I was shocked to see I still had a lot of stuff i have got use to not having those things. my stuff was it I sold off at boot fairs then down size again to move to Portugal still have two much stuff and need to thin out again.

We shipped a 40 foot container of funiture and household effects from San Francisco to Lisbon.   The container arrived on Nov 24, 2019.   We believe it is cheaper to ship rsther than buy everything in Portugal.  Furniture is very expensive plus the 23 % tax increases costs.  It is  a hassle with the baggage certificate plus prividing proof you lived in a house 12 months or longer in your current residency country.

My wife has collected a lot of jewelry and handbags over the years.  More than most people, I think - but what do I know, I'm a guy and have no interest in that stuff.  If we check bags with hundreds of earrings in them and dozens of handbags, will that cause import issues at the airport when we arrive?  We do not have receipts for most of the stuff.  And most of it is not super expensive.  Most of the handbags were $300-$400 handmade leather and most of the earrings were probably a little less than $100.  Though like I said we have no proof of cost.

@psyteacher

You need to do research  on what you want to ship as certain  things are just NOT available  in Portugal  , I sent a container  and so happy I did as what I shipped is just NOT available  in Portugal,  I shipped a whole house  etc a full container  and am VERY happy I did.

@Dan Plute I know it has been a while since you moved from San Francisco to Lisbon but, do you recall how much the container cost and who you used?

Forgive me if my question is dumb... I cannot live without my Vitamix high speed blender. Wherever I go, it goes with me.

Someone in this thread advised to get rid of appliances that use 120V because it can cause issues with transformer? I'm sorry but I am not sure what that means as I am not an electrician. Vitamix uses 120v. I am confused... won't it work just fine so long as I of course use plug adapter so that is works in the EU outlet?

@Dan Plute .... I am also wondering how much did shipping container cost?

You can buy a 220V Vitamix across the pond :)

I feel it's simpler and probably cheaper to replace those things, also considering the cost (and space) of the transformer.

@Juliet,

In EU there is the unified voltage system of 220v. These appliances, like Vitamix, also exist in Europe.......

@Juliet,In EU there is the unified voltage system of 220v. These appliances, like Vitamix, also exist in Europe.......        -@JohnnyPT

Ah I see thanks! Like a moron I just emailed Vitamix and asked them if they sell the the Ascent A3500 blender in Hungary or Portugal. I see even my ridiculously (overpriced) expensive treadmill is 120V (looks like I will have to sell it at a huge loss unfortunately not take it with me). I didn't realize the US standard is 120v and EU standard is 220V.

So it is not advised to plug in a 120v appliance (unless it is small) into 220v? I need to research this stuff more.

@juliet1980

You ought to be able to purchase a transformer to allow you to use the 120v treadmill although many products (ex. almost all hairdryers) can work in either voltage.

It would be very expensive to ship and, also, I suspect , much more expensive to buy in Europe Vs North America.

Why don't you just consider walking outside in the fresh air rather than use a treadmill indoors in any case? 🤔🤔

So it is not advised to plug in a 120v appliance (unless it is small) into 220v? I need to research this stuff more.

It's just not possible. If you do, it will go up in smoke. Unless there is a voltage selector at the back.

I would not consider carrying anything over which is 120V unless it was a massive bargain to buy and really unavailable over the pond.

Hi,

Just my opinion but i think you really need to spend time here and decide how/where and in which type of property/properties you are going to live before thinking about what you may or may not ship over.  Shipping stuff and finding it doesn't fit or is not suitable is a pointless waste of time, money and effort, as is trying to replicate the USofA in Portugal.  Also when you first arrive and start looking any extra belongings can be an encumbrance, assuming you will be traveling to different places. If you live like the Portuguese then almost everything needed here is available here. I have never known anyone here with a treadmill and  I think most people would be astounded anyone would have one in their home as they'd not understand what they are for (nor do I really).  The voltage transformer (from 240 to 110 volts) for things taking serious amount of power are available as in some parts of the EU (and the UK) they are mandatory on building sites as all electrical tools need to be 110/120 volt and the electrical supply is 230/240 volt.  HOWEVER there is a difference in the frequency so some things from the USofA use their 60Hz where as EU its 50Hz.  Generally smaller items with an external supply, like laptop or phone charger are dual voltage so can be just plugged in, the charger will have the information on it's lable saying what input voltages it can be run on HOWEVER the main power wall sockets differ so a different plug, or cable or adaptor may be needed - usually available at the local Chinese Emporium.

If you search for  " 240 110 site transformer" you'll get information on the larger voltage converters. I use one for my cement mixer.

Good Luck

We left all the 120V stuff behind.  Had there been some real heart breakers in there, we could have gotten a step down converter that would handle relatively low power appliances that don't have AC motors.

If an appliance has an AC motor, I'd be less enthusiastic about trying it on converted Portugal household current, which as noted above runs at 50Hz instead of 60, so the motors would run at the wrong speed.  Maybe a real problem, maybe not, don't know.  I have seen a heavy duty transformer apparently designed to run refrigerators that supposedly also converts to 60Hz.  The heavy duty transformers are in any case expensive.

We had a Vitamix that we used a fair amount.  For a replacement blender, I went to a full size immersion blender with a big motor - consumer stuff, not the big commercial kitchen thing, but far more powerful and robust than the little Chinese one we had before.  It came with adapters that make it pretty comparable with a food processor.  It's a better blender, for me, because trying to get stuff through the blades at the bottom of the blender jug was always a pain, not to mention hazardous.  The Portuguese term for this appliance translates to "magic rod", and Bosch and Braun have comparable models.

My circular saw and power drill here are battery powered - another new phase of life for me, inasmuch as everything I had back in the US was house current.  But the stationary stuff is of course 220V, and I haven't seen any sign of anyone using a transformer for tools here.

@juliet1980You ought to be able to purchase a transformer to allow you to use the 120v treadmill although many products (ex. almost all hairdryers) can work in either voltage.It would be very expensive to ship and, also, I suspect , much more expensive to buy in Europe Vs North America.Why don't you just consider walking outside in the fresh air rather than use a treadmill indoors in any case? 🤔🤔        -@slugsurmamates

Because the NoricTrack x32i treadmill has a 40% incline. You cannot replicate that outside... not in Hungary! I regret buying treadmill because it is so heavy it requires 2 men to move it! It's crazy how heavy it is (500 pounds). It is an amazing treadmill for someone who never plans to move. I will have to sell it at a huge loss. It is what it is. Treadmills are great because it enables you to exercise when weather outside does not permit. I exercise for my health. A treadmill is a MUST in my book.

We left all the 120V stuff behind.  Had there been some real heart breakers in there, we could have gotten a step down converter that would handle relatively low power appliances that don't have AC motors.If an appliance has an AC motor, I'd be less enthusiastic about trying it on converted Portugal household current, which as noted above runs at 50Hz instead of 60, so the motors would run at the wrong speed.  Maybe a real problem, maybe not, don't know.  I have seen a heavy duty transformer apparently designed to run refrigerators that supposedly also converts to 60Hz.  The heavy duty transformers are in any case expensive.We had a Vitamix that we used a fair amount.  For a replacement blender, I went to a full size immersion blender with a big motor - consumer stuff, not the big commercial kitchen thing, but far more powerful and robust than the little Chinese one we had before.  It came with adapters that make it pretty comparable with a food processor.  It's a better blender, for me, because trying to get stuff through the blades at the bottom of the blender jug was always a pain, not to mention hazardous.  The Portuguese term for this appliance translates to "magic rod", and Bosch and Braun have comparable models.My circular saw and power drill here are battery powered - another new phase of life for me, inasmuch as everything I had back in the US was house current.  But the stationary stuff is of course 220V, and I haven't seen any sign of anyone using a transformer for tools here.        -@donn25

My biggest problem with vitamix is that sometimes kale (or some greens) will get stuck inside the blades underneath and be impossible to remove even with soaking in baking soda and vineger etc. It is so gross. I am a clean freak and diligently clean the container after every use but more than once debris just gets stuck under and inside the blade. Not a good design but vitamix is great because they just ship me new container.

I am happy I posted in this tread because it has made me realize I simply need to sell all electrical items and simply rebuy whatever/whenever I end up moving  to in the EU.

So bye bye treadmill and Vitamix... oh well. No worries. Not a big prob.

@ericpret

hi eric   i see that your original post is a few years old but donhou recall if you had topay cistomes imort taxes on yiur household items   im concerned about a lot

of artwork i habe   thanks  larry

@Dan Plute  hi dan   we too are coming from SF to Porto   we want to ship firniture and art by container but confused anout whether my things will face high import tax   did yours?   thank you   larry

Hello Fern,

My wife and I went through this exact situation.  Think about your things.  What do you truly think you could sell your things for?  10%, maybe 15% of the purchase price of your things?  Then in Portugal, how much are you going to spend to replace all of your things . . . all your furniture, dishes, pots & pans, liens, everything.  We did the actual math and it was a NO brainer.   We shipped everything including a car.  And we are very happy we did.   OH, don't forget about the hundreds of hours you will spend shopping for all the things you didn't take with you.

I decided to buy everything new out here rather than send everything over. i knew all my stuff back home could be given to family and friends and they appreciated it! i bought cheaper alternatives out here and only whats absolutely necessary. Reason being, we may not even stay in portugal forever. i really love to explore and experience more places and more countries.

Good luck!!  We definitely feel differently.  Portugal is my final home!!   

@maxwmitchell1997

do you need to learn to speak Potuguese? what area do you live in? we are considering the outskirts of Lisbon if we dont have to learn the language. thank you!

After a lot of research, we decided on Caldas da Rainha which is one hour North of Lisbon.  No you do not need to learn Portuguese however the locals do appreciate it.