Moving to Cebu city in beginning of 2020

Hi all I'm Matti!

Just want to say hi as I'm planning on moving to Cebu to stay there for one year.
I will be moving there with a friend who I will share an apartment with, still looking
and I really, really need to live in a place that has fiber optics since I will be working
with youtube making videos and stream while in the Philis.

We are both from Sweden we both like the city life even though I would prefer a bit
away from cebu city and preferably close to a beach but again...fiber optics is a must.
Does anyone know if it's hard, takes time to get connected with stable internet in Cebu?

Big thanks for any help

Go to Globe office in a mall or street office, and get "Globe at Home." As long as the city-wide WIFI is up and running well, you then have your own router in your own place, and usually won't have problems. Recently we went to Cebu and took our little router (1999 pesos) with us, and had steady internet in several hotels in Cebu, Dumaguete, Bacolod and now again at home in Iloilo. You take it to the resort or wherever, and it should be good. Costs about 1000p/month to keep 'load' that is put onto your phone and then transferred from your cellphone to your internet account. Get Globe office to show you how to do it, and soon you have internet that's fairly stable with only occasional slowdowns....?

Thanks for reply =)

I am in a similar situation - moving to Cebu and neet a proper connection for work. Right now I am trying to go for a place that has PLDT Fibr available, as I hear that is the most reliable fixed line connection.

That being said, from what I have experienced of "fiber" and "business grade" connections in Metro Manila (Pasig & Mandaluyong) reminds me of the old DSL I had at home back in 2001. You will not find European quality internet even straight downtown paying business prices.

Do not expect to be able to do any livestreaming in Twitch. Uploading videos is less demanding, so that should be fine. There is bandwidth most of the time, just not a lot of it. 10 Mbps is considered very good. At peak hours speeds may drop down to 0.5 Mbps or even less.

So quick back of the envelope math, if you publish at 6 Mbps, then at peak hours it may take you 12x video duration to upload it (6/0.5). That is, a 15 minute video at 6 Mbps quality would take 3 hours to upload.

Mafkbpis,
I get pretty good speeds from PLDT fiber most of the time here in Cebu and for the most part, it's been very stable over the past 7 months that I've had it. I am on a 250 mbps connection. Of course speeds will depend upon where it is exactly you're trying to connect to etc.. To give you an idea, I am currently connected to a VPN to Seattle. I did a speed test to Comcast in Houston. 61.2 mbps down and 90.9 up.
Not on a VPN, I get 211 down and 251 up to Cebu and 218 mbps to Makati down and 214 mbps up.
SkyCable has internet here and in Cebu I think their best connection is 25 mbps. It is kind of hit or miss. When it works (80% of the time), it works pretty well but, if PLDT is having issues, Sky also seems to have issues. They are probably trunking their backbone traffic to PLDT.
If you can get PLDT, I would go that route but they seem to require an ACR card in order to get it even though their site simply says a “valid Government issued ID”.
You can get fixers to bypass that though. They'll simply use a fictitious name on the account. I didn't want to go that route though so, I just waited until I could get my ACR and used Sky until then. I still have Sky as a back up just in case though. It's cheap enough at 1,899 a month for 25 mbps. PLDT for 250 mbps is 6,000 a month.

OMG...thanks for answering

Thanks for reply =)

OK there are atleast two companies that have fibre to the house. I have two fibre cables running past  the house we own in the suburbs. So I think its just a matter of research to get the connection you want here you want to live.