Moving to SFO (Ironman training and ecommerce)

Hi !

Originally from Mexico, I've been living in France for the last 6 years, working for a french sports retailer named: Decathlon. I decided to quit my job to set up my own company (ecommerce) and would love to set it up while enjoying San Francisco.

I am planning to live about 3.5 months in San Francisco. From July until end october approximately.

Plan is to set up an online company while being there, as well as train for an ironman (november 27, 2011, Cozumel, Mexico)

IT and Sports seem to be two important factors in San Francisco right??

I have a few questions two of the most important are:

1. Do i need a car to move around?
Actually i will be biking quite often (roadbike) Will it be necessary for me to have a car to drive outside of the city or to places where i can do my 2 to 3 hours road bike?
If i need a car, what are the formalities to buy one (knowing that i am mexican, and i will be there on a tourist visa)

2. What is a good area for apartments for students?
My budget here in Mexico city is about 400usd per month for rent.
Would i still find a nice place to live for that, and if so, where would be the best places to start looking?

Merci !
Ricardo Godinez

Hi Ricardo,

Welcome to Expat-blog! :)

I hope you get replies to your queries very soon.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Hi Ricardo,

I am not sure if you are here already, but wanted to say you can actually survive in the city without a car, using your bike to get around, there are lots of places to ride, so no car needed for that.

As for your budget, well $400 in SF is not going to get you much at all, you can go to the cheaper areas, but i would try not to, i am sure on CL you may find a room mate situation.

Good luck with you stay in SF and with your future plans, this is a beautiful city, but it is very expensive..!

Regards Karin.

Hey Ricardo,

You might already be here, but in case you're still looking for answers. . .

You don't need a car.  You can join ZipCar or City Car Share if you want access to a car for weekend excursions.  Cheaper and less hassle than buying a car.

Sports + Tech = YES.  Lots of that here!

It will be very hard to find a room for $400/mo.  But you never know.  Try craigslist.  Search by price, and see what locations (if any) come up.

Good luck with your venture and training!  The Golden Gate Track Club has a lot of hard-core runners and triathletes.