Question about price of an apartment in Rach Gia

Hello folks,

To those having experience renting apartments in different cities in Vietnam, I would like to know your feedback about this apartment for rent in Rach Gia. I just want to get a global idea compared to other similar apartments elsewhere.

https://www.chotot.com/a/a/58167854.htm

It's basically 10 millions for a brand new apartment, 140m2 (way too big for me) but it has a bed and A/C, which is something very rare in Rach Gia. This is what I was paying in Saigon in 2011 for something much, much smaller so it looks like a "bargain" to me but again this is Rach Gia (no tourists or foreigners around) so it might be "expensive". I know some of you will say "the right price is the price you'll willing to pay" but I was curious about how it compared elsewhere.

The location is not the "centre" of Rach Gia but kind of a new, richer area in town similar to D7 in Saigon I'd say, about 4KM from what I call the centre. Cool place to be, relatively quiet.

Hi WillyBaldy,

Just a note that housing in Vietnam are not only for tourists/foreigners, but are also for Vietnamese.

And I have the impression that the house and price are posted in the ad are intended for
Vietnamese and not foreigners.
I called for my foreign friends/Clients before to ask about renting houses at rural/town, and the owner refused to let foreigner(s) rent.
First, they need to register with police to be able to accommodate foreigners. 2nd, they may not speak English, which make it hard to have a foreign tenant. Of course, it would be different if you have a Vietnamese girlfriend/partner/spouse to help you communicate, or you speak Vietnamese fluently.

As a Vietnamese, I can say it's fair/good price even for Vietnamese.
If you approach the owner to ask for renting, as a foreigner, there are possibility of they don't let you rent OR, they agree, but with higher price.

However, it's entirely my opinion.

Best,
Khuyen

KhuyenT wrote:

As a Vietnamese, I can say it's fair/good price even for Vietnamese.
If you approach the owner to ask for renting, as a foreigner, there are possibility of they don't let you rent OR, they agree, but with higher price.

However, it's entirely my opinion.

Thanks for your feedback. If the price is good then it will probably be gone by September, that's when I'll need an apartment. It gives me a good idea though. I will probably go through a local Vietnamese friend to rent. There are no apartments in Rach Gia targeted to tourists or foreigners as it's not a touristy town at all.

My two-bobs worth, it's way over priced. You can rent a smaller apartment fully furnished near the beach in Vung Tau for that price. Maybe they are marketing the size, which means 10 viets could occupy it.

I rent a brand new ,3 story house, 160 sqmts unfurnished near the beach in Vung Tau for 8 million. Compared to the one you posted,its a bargain.

In the photos I don't see those, but in the ad they mentioned that there are bed with mattress, AC, stove, washing machine (giường nệm, máy lạnh, bếp, máy giặt), perhaps they would put later.

Then they also mentioned that it can be rented as company's office.

Just for more information.

Sometimes renting in town (for good quality houses) can be more expensive than in cities, because there are less demand, so investing in those is more risky.
For brand new house for rent in towns/rural areas, many of them were built by the owner to live, but then they changed their plan and can't live there, so they lease out.

colinoscapee wrote:

I rent a brand new ,3 story house, 160 sqmts unfurnished near the beach in Vung Tau for 8 million. Compared to the one you posted,its a bargain.

Wow, and it's brand new? Seems like an amazing deal to me!

KhuyenT wrote:

Sometimes renting in town (for good quality houses) can be more expensive than in cities, because there are less demand, so investing in those is more risky.
For brand new house for rent in towns/rural areas, many of them were built by the owner to live, but then they changed their plan and can't live there, so they lease out.

The apartment is located in a new "rich" area of Rach Gia where dozens of new apartments were built or are being built and the market is a bit saturated as for example about 50 luxury condos were built near the Vincom Centre in Rach Gia and none sold so far. (rent over there would be 30 millions, I did ask for fun).

The problem I have is that in Rach Gia it's either cheap old apartments without A/C or expensive brand new ones with A/C, targeted to rich locals.

In Khuyens reply she mentiined that it can be rented as a company office, that there is the reason why it's so expensive. Trust me, look elsewhere. I have rented numerous properties to expats, and that, is not a good rental price.

WillyBaldy wrote:
KhuyenT wrote:

The apartment is located in a new "rich" area of Rach Gia where dozens of new apartments were built or are being built and the market is a bit saturated as for example about 50 luxury condos were built near the Vincom Centre in Rach Gia and none sold so far. (rent over there would be 30 millions, I did ask for fun).

The problem I have is that in Rach Gia it's either cheap old apartments without A/C or expensive brand new ones with A/C, targeted to rich locals.

Put your own A/C in, its quite cheap. Take it with you when you leave or sell it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Not sure about apartments, but Rach Gia is saturated with guesthouses and hotels, so rates are among the lowest in Vietnam. For 200k a day(works out at 6mil a month :on which in many places you can get a discount if you rent monthly) you can get a clean spacious room with Air-con, big fridge, cable TV and hot shower.

Yes you're right, making a deal with a guesthouse or hotel could be another option. I know a bunch of them, I'll definitely investigate this possibility. Thanks.