Accommodation in Dominican Republic: scams you should look out for

Hi,

Committing to renting or buying accommodation when you’re new to or have not moved to the Dominican Republic just yet is always a stressful endeavour. Would you like to help us in putting together a handbook of what to look out for when house hunting in Dominican Republic?

What are the most common scams in Dominican Republic?

What are the red flags to look out for when scanning through adverts?

Is there a list of registered or accredited landlords or real estate agencies in Dominican Republic?

What authorities should be sought should one come across an accommodation scam?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

i am not well versed in matters such as the real estate horse trading, in the DR, but i am sufficiently familiar with the culture to proffer this bit of advice....

DO NOT cut corners trying to save money on attorney fees.  do your research, and make sure you get a reputable, COMPETENT attorney. you cannot throw a rock in the DR without hitting an ''abogado''. every guy who drove past a university campus is a lawyer. most of them are barely paralegals, but, by their admission, they are supreme court judges.

get a good lawyer...it is the best money you will ever spend in this country. fail to do that, and you will discover, in due course, that the house you think you own has 10 other owners. it is the Wild Wild West out there.

Hi Bhvana how are you?Do your dew diligence on a good Attorney. It is best to spend extra for guaranteed security.I use Guzman Ariza.
They have offices all over the country and are bilingual.The majority of Expats who have purchased land/property in my area and have further inquires have used this company for a number of years.
All the best john

A good topic for discussion. We have covered much of this already.

1. What are the most common scams in Dominican Republic?   NONE really its buyer beware period. They will tell you its a quiet neighborhood and it won't be. They will tell you the electricity is  24 hours and it won't be. ETC.    Basically they will tell you what they think you want to hear in order to rent a place.

2. What are the red flags to look out for when scanning through adverts?   Most places are not rented via adverts. Most are BOOTS ON THE GROUND -  identify an area you like, walk or drive it and look for signage. Call and follow up.

3. Is there a list of registered or accredited landlords or real estate agencies in Dominican Republic?
NO that does not exist here.

Make sure you know the areas you want to rent or buy in. IF buying and you have just arrived, please rent for  6 to 12 months first. It is not easy to sell if you decide you don't want to live here.

Take your time!   Do your research,  check the  availability of water,  electricity  circuits,  which cell phone service works,  which  internet  suppliers are in the area etc etc. Take NOTHING for granted like at home!   

Make sure your lawyer looks over the rental contracts!