Accommodation in Bahrain: scams you should look out for

Hi,

Committing to renting or buying accommodation when you're new to or have not moved to Bahrain just yet is always a stressful endeavour. Would you like to help us in putting together a handbook of what to look out for when house hunting in Bahrain?

What are the most common scams in Bahrain?

What are the red flags to look out for when scanning through adverts?

Is there a list of registered or accredited landlords or real estate agencies in Bahrain?

What authorities should be sought should one come across an accommodation scam?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

The best advice I can lend is go on property finder. I have lived in Bahrain on two different occasions and lived here in 6 different residences. I have never had an issue finding a place to live and thus far never been scammed. I advise not to release any money until you have arrived in Bahrain, met your agent, and seen your perspective residence. Any questions, please ask me here.

Thanks

Bhavna,

Bahrain is a cool place and when you scanning the house, please don't approach to any broker just go yourself and first select the location and then chose the flat and ask directly to the property owner.
Most of the broker for there own interest they bargain with  you from higher  end and where you agree then first rent goes to that broker as a rule here in Bahrain, therefore, they try more good rent to be agreed my tenant so that they have good money and tenet will end up forever that high rent because of broker first month rent to his pocket.

Dear good luck.

I pray you to get a haven type house for you and your family.

shobee

Hi Bhavna,

I'd safely say Bahrain isn't a country where you'd encounter 'property scams' as such specially when its comes to renting.

The best way forward is to look up some properties in the local media (refer: GDN, Tribune, Waseet), property websites (refer property finder / bahrainpropertyworld - although i find these somewhat in the higher spectrum of property types), or simply contact property agents (refer some big names like cluttons, Houseme, Clarion) in the kingdom who will help you find your type of accommodation keeping your budget and requirement in mind.

The renting procedure is pretty basic as well with the lease contract formalities and your good to go.

Just ensure you understand and agree upon the rental clauses which may differ from one property type to another.
https://impact-estate.com/procedures-to … -property/ (a quick link on this may help)
Also check https://www.weetas.com/

In my opinion,  rental market is secure in Bahrain and the property agents are registered companies operating in the kingdom.

The same applies for buying property however here there has been cases of 'held projects' in other words stalled construction where investors have lost monies on the movement of projects.  The best way to counter this is to always go with stable and well well known developers and real estate companies who have a clean chit record in the market refer (Bin Faqeeh...GFH properties..Ithmaar properties...Naseej...Diyar Al Muharraq, plenty others which need to be explored)

Good luck...

TT
~I have no special talents. I am passionately curious~ Albert Einstein