IESS and Permentant Resident Visa

I am coming to Ecuador on a tourist visa on May 1st. I am getting married and applying for my visa and cedula around the beginning of June. Can I obtain health insurance through the IESS before I get my visa, or should I apply for a travel insurance and apply for the IESS after I am married and have my visa?

If it is recommended to get a travel insurance, what is the best/ cheapest?

Thanks

BailCedeno :

I am coming to Ecuador on a tourist visa on May 1st. I am getting married and applying for my visa and cedula around the beginning of June. Can I obtain health insurance through the IESS before I get my visa,,, ?

Dear Ball,

Welcome to the Ecuador forum of expat.com ...

You will need a cédula ID to apply for IESS health coverage.  That means having a visa.

The "tourist visa" you mentioned is actually a tourist stamp, not a visa, although Expats often refer to the stamp as a visa or tourist visa.

cccmedia

BailCedeno :

If it is recommended to get a travel insurance, what is the best/ cheapest?

IMG Global has some low-cost plans for travel insurance.  Plans for seniors are available.  Choose a higher deductible for lowest rates.

There is a wait, often several months, before IESS coverage kicks in for most medical attention, once an application for coverage is submitted.  So you may wish to opt for travel insurance by the month in the meantime.

Get quotes at GoHealthPlan/IMG.

cccmedia

When they ask for Health insurance does this differ from travel insurance? I'm looking for something that I can pay less than 100$ a month. Something that is basically just for me to have in order to get my visa, and in the case that I for some odd reason in up in the hospital. I don't mind the private fees in seeing a doctor and getting a prescription as in the past it has usually cost me less than 60$ a visit.

Through the IMG (Global) are there plans less than 100$ a month?

Thanks!

Check the website I provided above or imglobal.com ...

Last time I checked, there were plans with the higher deductibles for around $100 or less for a single person.

cccmedia