I want to move to Ecuador

I.am on some medications from surgeries here in the US, can I get these medications in Equator.PlEASE BE HONEST IN YOUR  REPLY this is a serious questiom
1.levothyroxin (generic  ( synthroid) bran
2 Prempro Hormone Brand no generic available
3.Estazolam(generic)Prosom (brand) 4mg at nite
4.Lorazepam(generic)Ativan (brand) 1mg TID
5.Zolpidem(generic) Amiben (brand) 20 mg at nite
6.Carisoprodol(generic) Soma (brand)
If you can help with a excellent physicisnI would appreciate and a do you have general drug stores there like Wal-mart,Target,Walgreens,CVS ? i Will give you my cell number in the states it is 949 228 6565....PLEASE HELP IN ANY WAY...

Mb

Whoa.  I have no idea on the availability but would strongly recommend that you NOT leave Dallas if you need this many drugs.  Nothing will be as simple as taking your prescriptions to the local Walgreen's or CVS on every corner, let alone all the grocery store pharmacies, and if you move to Ecuador you will do nothing but spend your available time finding or worrying about finding your medicine.

Don't be freaked by what some may advise you. The real truth of the matter is this: Contrary to what someone is telling you, in most cases it is far easier to get your prescriptions filled in Ecuador. Many of the scripts you mentioned don't even require a a prescription in Ecuador. I will advise you of this: Many of those scripts will cost more than in the US., but the upside of  is, you don't have to pay 500.00 dollars to get a Dr. to prescribe them for you. Thats what it costs me in the US to get the prescription for Levothyroxin for 1 year. Simple blood tests in Ecuador cost in the 10 dollar range. So, even if you don't get the Walmart discount, you avoid the exhorbnent mark up that the drug companies and non health care providers charge in the US.
It's all a racket that is perpetrated on the citizens in the states to generate huge profits for the drug companies and the medical machine. Just check out the profit margin, and the top paid CEO's in the US, and you'll see where your health care dollars go.
Don't allow anyone to scare you about leaving the US as far as health care is concerned. My experience is that the health care providers in South America are very different than those in the US. They are concerned with health care, not the dollar. Plus, the statement that there is a limitation on drug stores in Ecuador is ridiculous. They are certainly as plentiful as in the US. I think the other poster has not walked any streets in Ecuador.
Good Luck

This is just an opinion and I am not a medical expert so please take this for what it is.

When I was in America I was diagnosed with Muscle Spasms which really slowed me down.  They prescribed me something called Cyclobenzaprine so I started taking it.  It did not fix anything and I ended up not taking them because they slowed me down even more.  I couldn't work with the medicine.  So I dealt with the pain for a year, then went to another American doctor who prescribed me the same medicine.  I refused.

When I arrived here in Ecuador still in pain my mother and law took me to a pharmacist that gave (not prescribed) me Tensiflex.  I reluctantly took the medicine and within 2 days my muscle spasms retreated.  I also did not receive many crazy side effects that the American medicine gave me.  I took the medicine for 5 days and it got rid of the contractions in my muscles.  Now I just get massages to relax when they come and I am free of meds.

The moral of the story (IN MY OPINION) is that some of the medicines "required" by American doctors may not be necessary upon review by an Ecuadorian doctor or pharmacist.  It seems in Ecuador they practice to CURE, not to TREAT, and remember that the "drug" industry in the USA is a multibillion dollar one.

I understand your condition is probably more serious than mine,but I felt it important to share this story.

If you want to talk to me more feel free to email me:

Mike
themiddleoftheworld@gmail.com

Glad to hear of your success Mike. I, like you, believe the medical profession in the US is mainly driven by the dollar. I agree whole heartedly that we are the most over prescribed country in the world, with the worst results. If we started to treat medicine in the prevenitive mode, rather than the " patch up " mode, we'd have a much better result.
Again, I believe mostly driven by the huge pharmaceutical companies.
Stay Well,
Neil

Goodafternoon Zen,

Could you please tell me the name of some Pharmacies in Ecuador are they primaarely in Quito? Is there a Walgreens .. My Pharmacists and I are currently researching and contacting the drug companies but have not heard back from them if I gave you the name of these medications could you please help with researching with us ...

Kindly MB

Boy,
I was only in Quito for 2 days, and was not looking for pharmacias. I think that Walgreens is exclusive to the US though.
In Cuenca, you seem to see them on every block though. Perhaps a good place to start is with the major hospitals in Quito. Is that where you plan to stay? I know they have drug stores connected to them. You might also check with some of the drug companies in Canada, as they have very good pricing. It might turn out as cheap to pay the shipping from Canada with the large discount they provide. Not sure, but worth investigating.
I'll look around and see what I can find out.
Neil
PS. I just did a simple Google search and found a ton of pharmacies. Just enter: pharmacy in Quito Ecuador, or whatever city you want, and a bunch come up.

mbtomlin wrote:

Could you please tell me the name of some Pharmacies in Ecuador are they primaarely in Quito? Is there a Walgreens?
Kindly MB

There are no Walgreens, but there are pharmacies everywhere.  These two companies are common in Quito and elsewhere in Ecuador.  There are dozens of different pharmacy chains, but I could only remember these two off the top of my head:

http://www.sanasana.com.ec/default.aspxhttp://fybeca.com

The Fybeca website seems pretty useless, but their Pharmacies are all over Ecuador.

Neil,

Excellent, so you are saying there is Walgreeen's in Cuenta ?
We are doing extensive research I really appreciate your assistance. Again, may I ask why did you choose moving to Ecuador ALOT of Americans are moving there we cannot afford it here in the states any longer..Your information is very helpful we are in tears here ... trying to remain hopeful and praying ...

Hi ZENspike,

Thanks for the info with the pharmacies really appreciated trying to research if you can assist IT is really appreciated since you are there assuming already .. I read an email OMG from young lady that said, it was awful to live in Ecuador everything from the cost of living, crime, she is starving, foood expensive, was a teacher not being paid, must live with a roomate I lived in Laguna Beach California and "yes" the cost of living there is outrageous you live with friends it's the way of life there had to move back to Dallas,frankly I was very very suprised by this information from her??? my response was OMG ....

@MBtomlin. 

Before I moved to Ecuador I lived in Mission Viejo and my wife worked in Laguna Beach.  Amazing town but yes very expensive.

If she was not getting paid it is possible she didn't have legal working status here.  English teachers are in very high demand here and I know 3 in my building alone making very good incomes for here. 

Maybe her case is one of the few as opposed to the many.

Mike
Themiddleoftheworld@gmail.com

OMG Mike,

I worked at Mission Viejo Hospital, I made it for 1 year there and had to move back to Dallas Do you guys currently live in Ecuador? and if so where?
1. Do you like it ?
2. Crime?
3. Excellent parts to live?
4. Medical?
5. Food?
6. How to obtain a Visa permanent
my girfiend and I are currently reserching to move out of the US the econonmy is in debt and costing us Americans a fortune I would teach English and Mi Mi would probably retire we are in our very early 50's I cannot retire I would work ?
7. Spanish must you learn before you go?
she has some friends going in June on a tour for us to reasearch I was informed a permanent work Visa is very difficult to get hearing good and bad ??? can you give us any suggestions

kindly and trust me do  I miss California I cry I lived the life and hate Dallas !!!

Dallas is sweaty and California is BEAUTIFUL I know.  But so is Ecuador.  I sent you a private message with my email so we can talk there.  I wouldn't want to bombarb the forum with lengthy answers to your valid questions.