Telephone service in Mexico

I just arrived in Rosarito on April first. Before leaving the US, I changed my phone service from Verizon to ATT. But since I've been here, first I found ATT's service sucks but most importantly, I can't call any 800/888 number. I was finally informed today that it won't work with ATT. I'm trying to manage the final bit of business in the US and everyone has an 800 number.

Does anyone have any work arounds this issue? And, has anyone found a better telephone provider? Finally, does TELCEL offer US/Mexico plans that work well?

Appreciate any and all feedback.

Telcel is the best company and yes offers different packages with free calls to USA or Canada.

With a vpn line www.expressvpn.com
You could use Skype and call as if you were in the US.

Otherwise google "how to call froma foreign country  1800 or whatever numbers.  It will be explained to you on how to do.

Substitute Phone Codes
You can dial almost any U.S. toll-free number from Mexico simply by changing the digits in the toll-free prefix. There's just one catch: The call is no longer free. But, again, at least it goes through – and if you're dealing with a lost credit or debit card or frantically trying to reschedule your cruise, that makes all the difference in the world. Here are the substitutions you must make:

Replace 1-800 with 001-880.
Replace 1-888 with 001-881.
Replace 1-877 with 001-882.
Replace 1-866 with 001-883.
Replace 1-855 with 001-884.

Hi, I have been using TELCEL AMIGO per second option ($0,0142 Mx/USA/Can, SMS $0,85, MB $0,85) because I don't use my phone for internet purposes. If you use your phone for internet purposes then TELCEL has various good plan.

For 1-800 numbers I use SKYPE with no need for a VPN or I get the non free numbers and use my TELCEL phone (ie: a 30 min. call would cost less then $26 pesos cheaper then SKYPE) very good for me.

If you have a dual SIM phone, you just by a SIM sometimes in special for $29 pesos regular MAX $100 pesos.

The best is to go directly at the TELCEL Centro de attencion en Ensanada DIRECCIÓN: Av. Riveroll No. 425 Zona Centro, C.P. 28200, Ensenada B.C.
Ensenada - Baja California there's usually English speaking employees.

If you have a Smartphone don't forget to deactivate the DATA process and activate the DATA SAVER because your APPS will auto update and use LOTS OF MBs

PS: I even use the Amigo per second plan in the USA and CANADA because the ROAMING is free or almost FREE I don't have another phone because I live fulltime in Mexico travel in USA and CANADA is to visit family.

Adios y buen dia a todos, GyC.

grasshopper51 wrote:

I just arrived in Rosarito on April first. Before leaving the US, I changed my phone service from Verizon to ATT. But since I've been here, first I found ATT's service sucks but most importantly, I can't call any 800/888 number. I was finally informed today that it won't work with ATT. I'm trying to manage the final bit of business in the US and everyone has an 800 number.

Does anyone have any work arounds this issue? And, has anyone found a better telephone provider? Finally, does TELCEL offer US/Mexico plans that work well?

Appreciate any and all feedback.

As I said in another post I dropped the U.S. providers long ago. I have had Telcel for about 4-5 years or more. I have no problem calling the U.S. One of the things you have to understand with 1-800 numbers is that you have to convert to an Mx version. 800 becomes 001 880. Given that I can call the U.S. I use the non 800 number instead.

Yes..1-800 use 001880, 1-888 use 001881, 1-877 use 001882, 1-866 use 001883 and 1-855 use 001884.

just as soon as I passed over the international bridge from el paso to juarez, my phone died. had to buy local one. Telcel ok. get yourself an international phone that is unlocked. that way u can call back TO USA. BOUGHT MINE FROM AMAZON,.

MAIL HERE REALLY SUCKS. SO IF U WANT STUFF FROM US TO WHERE U LIVE, FED EX, UPS, DHL HERE U CANPICKUP OR THEY DEL.