Safety for woman

luna2000 wrote:

Hi Ocean Beach, You are absolutely right.  I agree with you and apologize for my reply to the complaints of the dirt and uncivilized behavior of the locals.  I should have pointed out and replied directly to that specific post, instead of using the general word YOU.   
I hope you have a wonderful Sunday, and who knows?  we may have a drink together someday.

A definite possibility, since I now live in Vũng Tàu.

I was just re-reading your earlier rant, and you made some good points.

I appreciate your reply to me today.

BTW, don't feel bad about chasing Andy away.

He came back again with a new secret identity.

Cheers!

Vung Tau translates in Chinese has the meaning of (the head at end of the line). I wonder if the name might be related to China influence in Vietnam going back in history a thousand years ago.

Porkypig wrote:

Vung Tau translates in Chinese has the meaning of (the head at end of the line). I wonder if the name might be related to China influence in Vietnam going back in history a thousand years ago.

Since the first century BC, every group that happened to stop by this peninsular while on the way somewhere called it by a different name in a different language.  None of the names was known or used by anyone but the group itself. 

The year 1775 was when the first official name was created by the French:  Cap Saint Jacques. 

Then in 1820, Gia Long (the first Emperor of the Nguyen Dynasty) sent three army troops to Cap Saint Jacques to build strongholds, guard the seafront, and fight pirates to protect the peninsular.  At that time, he issued a decree to make the locally known name of Vũng Tàu be the (final) official name of the land.

The meaning of the name is very simple:  vũng means a small gulf or a small bay; tàu means boat/s or ship/s. Vũng Tàu means a small bay where boats and ships find safe refuge.

Ciambella wrote:
Porkypig wrote:

Since the first century BC, every group that happened to stop by this peninsular while on the way somewhere called it by a different name in a different language.  None of the names was known or used by anyone but in the journey of the group. 

The year 1775 was when the first official name was created by the French:  Cap Saint Jacques. 

Then in 1820, Gia Long (the first Emperor of the Nguy?n Dynasty) sent three army troops to Cap Saint Jacques to build strongholds, guard the seafront, and fight pirates to protect the peninsular.  At that time, he issued a decree to make the locally known name of V?ng Tàu be the (final) official name of the land.

The meaning of the name is very simple:  v?ng means a gulf or a small bay; tàu means boat/s or ship/s. V?ng Tàu means a small bay where boats and ships find safe refuge.

Very interesting & knowledgeable summery.

Must say I like the name "Cap Saint Jacques" being an old sea dog the name sort of conjures up old Bogie & pirate movies! bet it was some place back then. :cool:

I was told by someone who studied Chinese that to make comparisons between words in Chinese and Vietnamese, it is best not to listen to the sounds but to look to and compare the Chinese characters (the traditional not the modern simplified)  to the Vietnamese Chu Nôm characters.

goodolboy wrote:

Very interesting & knowledgeable summery.

Must say I like the name "Cap Saint Jacques" being an old sea dog the name sort of conjures up old Bogie & pirate movies! bet it was some place back then. :cool:

The name Cap Saint Jacques was used by the locals and old Saigonnais (myself included) until 1975.

Ciambella:  The site seems to be converting the Vietnamese U with the mark on the side into ?.  I don't know the distinct name of this letter but I am sure that it has one.  I see that yours corrected but maybe you just replaced it with an English U?

THIGV wrote:

Ciambella:  The site seems to be converting the Vietnamese U with the mark on the side into ?.  I don't know the distinct name of this letter but I am sure that it has one.  I see that yours corrected but maybe you just replaced it with an English U?

It's a new bug today.  Everything I wrote with an accent mark is now a question mark so I stop writing Vietnamese names the Vietnamese way.  I've been bugging the Team since yesterday with the bug that doubles every notification; now I'll have to add this one to my complaint.