Advice needed on district to live

Hi all,

I am moving to Budapest next month and looking for a house or apartment.

Requirements are:
- Close to Bartok Bela Ut, District 11, walking distance or less than 15 minutes with public transport.
- Clean, modern and safe area

I found a nice one on the web but Google Maps cannot find the location: Madárhegy panorámás utcája

Does somebody know where this is? I would also welcome all advice on where to look for accommodation.

Regards,

Hi there,

You cannot find the place as it is not the name of the street you have. It translates: a street with a view in Madárhegy (which is an area; you can find it in googlemaps). It's gonna be further than 15 minutes from the place you need. Nice green area but not good transport links and not much life around.

Try ingatlan.com; you can search by districts there (you want XI, I or IX (which is definitely more lively but not all parts are safe and nice). Actually anything on the following transport links will take you to Bartók Béla street within 15 minutes: bus 7, tram 47, 49.

Best

Marta

Hy
I am moving also in Bupapeste in 3 weeks, an advice please.
I will be working in Torokbalint and i am thinking about getting a rent in the 5th or 6th district, which district it is ok, not a dangerous area and also from which one can you get fastest to Torokbalint with the car and also is there any transportation from these districts 5th and 6th yo Torokbalint?

thanks in advance
best

ADrian

and also , how much does it take to get to torokbalint fomr 5th or 6th district with the car? and also by bus, cause i made a simulation on bkv.hu and it says here that it takes by bus 2 hours (19km) ... commmon , too much :))
thank you

So you plan on inverse-commuting?

There's also a train every hour: 20 minutes from Torokbalint to Deli (southern) train station, connecting to M2 subway line ("red metro").

District XI is closest to Torokbalint, but it's not inner-city (belvaros), so you might as well live in Torokbalint...

well , i want to live in budapest , in centre for sure, but it seems that it does not take more than 45 min to get to torokbalint :) from district V
anyways if u have more info please let me know
thank you very much for the prompt response

If I were you, I would choose somewhere in the I., II., XI. or XII. district. They are all nice and safe and they all have parts which are close to the city centre with good transport connections. This way you stay on the Buda side and don't have to do the bridge thing every day, which is a pain during rush hours.

The bus won't take two hours; 30-45 minutes I would say depending on traffic. Maximum an hour if the traffic is really bad. I wouldn't recommend public transport though especially if your workplace is not where the bus drops you off.

If you want a buzzy environment, stick to the V. or VI. district but then your journey will be longer...

Marta

Adrian, is nothing you can do in Torokbalint neither in Erd,Budakeszi,Budaors etc . There are all "dead" suburbs, even it takes 20 minutes by train.

You are stuck there once you moved or you get home from work.

For a single person Pest side is the best!

Buda is also good if you want a quite life-style but having some Malls around.

For train schedules see elvira.hu

Girlie wrote:

Adrian, is nothing you can do in Torokbalint neither in Erd,Budakeszi,Budaors etc . There are all "dead" suburbs, even it takes 20 minutes by train.

You are stuck there once you moved or you get home from work.

For a single person Pest side is the best!

Buda is also good if you want a quite life-style but having some Malls around.

yes I know that :)
I will only work in Torokbalint , I do not want to move there :)
I was just asking which district is better, safer :) , and also , i want to go out in the evening for a glass of wine or beer...
I was told that V distric it;s the best one and that also you can get to Torokbalint in maximum 1 hour , which it s ok

thak you for the info :)

marta.budapest wrote:

If I were you, I would choose somewhere in the I., II., XI. or XII. district. They are all nice and safe and they all have parts which are close to the city centre with good transport connections. This way you stay on the Buda side and don't have to do the bridge thing every day, which is a pain during rush hours.

The bus won't take two hours; 30-45 minutes I would say depending on traffic. Maximum an hour if the traffic is really bad. I wouldn't recommend public transport though especially if your workplace is not where the bus drops you off.

If you want a buzzy environment, stick to the V. or VI. district but then your journey will be longer...

Marta

Yes Marta, you maybe right, but as I am single in Budapest , I want to stay somewhere close to activities, sports, etc. and as I search on net about Budapest, it says here that V and VI district are the most aproppiate or that :) I just hope that getting to work will not take that much time, by car , and in the future after I get to know Budapest and the trasportation by bus or the same.... also  I heard that there is a bus that takes to work in Torokbalint :)

I have a different feeling about districts V and VI.  They can be quite busy but during the summer it seems as if most locals  has left for the countryside except for tourists.   This is especially the case around the Parliament.

I wouldn't restrict myself to just V and VI.  VII (in general, closer to Andrássy) and VIII (most will say inside József körút) can also be very nice and urban.  In fact, I would say VII might be best because there's the highest concentration of good nightlife there.  That cannot be said about V.

Also consider I or II and XI as some of those places have a nice balance of green, and some activity, but they're not terribly distant from Pest if you're somewhat close to the Duna.

Good luck!

muktuk wrote:

I have a different feeling about districts V and VI.  They can be quite busy but during the summer it seems as if most locals  has left for the countryside except for tourists.   This is especially the case around the Parliament.

I wouldn't restrict myself to just V and VI.  VII (in general, closer to Andrássy) and VIII (most will say inside József körút) can also be very nice and urban.  In fact, I would say VII might be best because there's the highest concentration of good nightlife there.  That cannot be said about V.

Also consider I or II and XI as some of those places have a nice balance of green, and some activity, but they're not terribly distant from Pest if you're somewhat close to the Duna.

Good luck!

yeap, but i heard that district 8 is also the district
known for prostitution and other types of crime
that go along with it. 
I am going to try to see a rent also in VII district if u say it s a good area. :) but it s not too loudy right? :)
thanks

Yes, XIII is historically where the "working ladies" show walk the streets, but not so much anymore.  I've been there at night several times and didn't see anything.  (they mostly go now to where the truck drivers are on the outskirts of the city) 

Even my co-worker lives in XIII near Blaha Lujza tér on the "wrong" side of the körút steadfastly maintains that her place is absolutely safe and very quiet.  There been much recent development in the near with a new mall near the Corvin.  But you won't go far wrong by staying inside the körút.  Some of the streets behind the Muzeum I like a lot and still near to some of the good bars in Krudy tér.

There are some quiet places in VII, just not near Kazinczy or Kiraly, but I would still like to live near there.

The worst noise in these districts is to be near a old trolley-bus line.  Those older trolley's create a lot of noise pollution and, unlike motorbikes or other auto traffic, they will persist throughout the day and late into the evening.

Another quiet neighborhood that is still urban is in VI northwest of the train station.  I used to live there (but close to Andrássy) and it wasn't far away at all from the action. 

Last suggestion is a real good urban and green neighborhood of XIII, especially as you get closer to the Duna and Szent István Park.  It is somewhat upscale and might cost more. It's kind of like living in Buda without the hills but a better selection of restaurants.

I think this has been said before a few times: districts are not a good granularity to talk about Budapest. Districts are arbitrary administrative boundaries, with nothing to do with different neighborhoods and standards of living. In your case you can rule out the outside districts at most.

hi, i own an apartment in budapest, district 11 which is near the university and bartok bela ut.  i am thinking of selling it but i would like to rent it but not through the management agency as they take too much.  i would love to rent it to an irish person in particular or to someone who speaks english.  If anyone is interested please contact me as it is a new apartment (well 5 years old) but the furniture is new and in its in good condition.

the district is safe from what i have seen, i have been there a few times and stayed in the apartment which is currently empty, it faces into a courtyard which helps.  about 100 yards from the door you can pick up several trams, nos 18,41, 47 and 49 all go up and down fehervari ut, district 11 to various city center locations and beyond and there are 2 buses that go in and out of the city from the same place too.  there are 2 shopping centres - one is the savoya park which is about 10 mins on the tram *goes door to door to both (check out on google) - and the other is a brand spanking new centre called Allee next to the Fehervari Market Hall.

this is my first blog ever, so would love to hear from anyone who has anything to add,

Hi nmgardener!

Please post you advert in the accommodation section of Budapest classifieds!

Regards
Armand

Hy guys,
Can you tell me please about Dohany utca, district VII, Pest.
It is a good place to live? Is it close to the center of the city, close to tranportation? bars? resturans?it is a safe area??

budapestlets.com/apartments/dohany-spa-view/location

thank you

It's right in the middle of everything.
Your street might not be busy, but the one just one block away has heavy traffic.
If you want nightlife and don't have kids, this is perfect, but all your neighbors will have the same mentality, which is not exactly my idea of "safe" :-)

what do you mean not safe? meaning it cpuld be loudy and crowdy?
well i hope that not so loudy? and tell me please , the highway exit to torokbalint is it far from this location?
thanks

Hy guys, i come again with a question, where it is better to live from this two : dohany utca or veres pelner utca?
thank you very much

Hi bebbocu,
You probably mean Veres Pálné utca. That street runs parallel to the well known Vaci utca where you'll find not only restaurants galore but sales staff ready to push you inside, with the tourists. Good food though.

I can't recall Dohany utca: but both streets are long and the environment may vary end to end.

As someone who has just been through the process of selecting a flat in Pest, my advice would be to set aside a week, or so, to view the areas and properties for yourself before making a decision. Preferences are very personal and you obviously have particular ideas of what you want.

By all means select likely flats on the Web, but personal viewing is important. I found very few agents/owners replied to my emails, but telephoning agents/owners once in BP gets a response.

You can stay 'relatively' cheaply at hostels in BP - and if you want privacy, several offer good apartment accomodation separate from group dormitories. This way you can get a feel of the areas and view the apartments before committing yourself.

Whatever you do you'll enjoy Budapest.

angol wrote:

Hi bebbocu,
You probably mean Veres Pálné utca. That street runs parallel to the well known Vaci utca where you'll find not only restaurants galore but sales staff ready to push you inside, with the tourists. Good food though.

I can't recall Dohany utca: but both streets are long and the environment may vary end to end.

As someone who has just been through the process of selecting a flat in Pest, my advice would be to set aside a week, or so, to view the areas and properties for yourself before making a decision. Preferences are very personal and you obviously have particular ideas of what you want.

By all means select likely flats on the Web, but personal viewing is important. I found very few agents/owners replied to my emails, but telephoning agents/owners once in BP gets a response.

You can stay 'relatively' cheaply at hostels in BP - and if you want privacy, several offer good apartment accomodation separate from group dormitories. This way you can get a feel of the areas and view the apartments before committing yourself.

Whatever you do you'll enjoy Budapest.

Hy,
well , i ve been in budapest this weekend , and i ve seen an apartament on Donhay Utca, really nice, close to marco polo hostel, to interspar, I do not know what to say about the zone ,if it's a safe zone? To mee it seems ok, i ve been in  budaopest before also , but just in vacation, so i do not know the places that well.

Thank you

As long as you keep relatively aware you should be safe no matter which you choose.  Budapest isn't really known for street crime, but more about the burglaries.

I'd pick Dohany utca without a doubt. Neither place is quiet but I like the area a bit better as it has much better nightlife selection in the neighborhood as well places to do your shopping and places where you can eat cheaply or mid-range.  The clincher is that it is also fairly well served by trolley-buses and you're very close to the true city center.  (74 will take to you to very safe and green city park)  I don't think that Veres Palne utca IIRC is as well served by public transport and there's not the same good selection of nightlife and places to eat and do grocery shopping.

Hi. Doubt if you'd find this place on a map or street guide, as it translates as "street with a view of Bird Hill." 11th District is in Buda, which is the quiet, residential area, whereas Pest is where the action is. It's OK, but if you're young and single, better to be in Pest. Lots of great areas here. The area around Oktogon is good and a touch more upscale, although Kalvin ter is also good for transportation, shopping (markets, etc), clubs, restaurants, pubs and the Danube. Public Transport is great here possible. live close to a tram or metro line, if possible. You really should visit first and check out the neighborhoods. Along Veres Palne u. there are plenty of restaurants, shopping, pubs, etc, although a short walk to trams and metro. Best advice: visit first! If you need an agent to help, I have several friends who do that sort of thing. Good luck.
Also, when in town, there are several expat gatherings to help  get acclimated: Internations, Expats Hungary, The Melting Pot and a few more. Good expat pub is the Scottish pub Caledonia, near Oktogon. Hope to see you when you get settled in.
Gary Lukatch
[email protected]

Can enybody tell me what they think about accomodation in Budapest 11. district, Irinyi József u.
I have to decide by tommorow and i don't know anything about that part of town because on the net is not popular as district 5, 1, 6 etc, so please help me with some advice.
My workplace would be in a walking distance but is it too far from the center? Is this area safe in the night and is there some places to eat and shop for groceries near by?

Hiya,

Yeah, that area is fine. Not as popular as 5 and 1 but still ok.
I work on Bartok Bela Utca and live in district 5 (Kalvin Ter). Takes me 15 minutes to get into work with public transport (tram 47 and 49).

A lot of restaurants and shops in that area as well. There is a huge shopping centre (Allee) at walking distance from Irinyi Jozsef U.

Skockares wrote:

Can enybody tell me what they think about accomodation in Budapest 11. district, Irinyi József u.
I have to decide by tommorow and i don't know anything about that part of town because on the net is not popular as district 5, 1, 6 etc, so please help me with some advice.
My workplace would be in a walking distance but is it too far from the center? Is this area safe in the night and is there some places to eat and shop for groceries near by?

Fun part of town with university dormitories, 24 hour tram traffic, quite safe in general. Lots of small shops and cheap eateries geared towards students. Make sure your bedroom window does not actually face Irinyi Jozsef street, it's a dozen lanes wide with heavy traffic!

Tnx for the info, I'll probably have to accept that place anyway. If you know some interesting place, restoraunt, pub in that neighbourhood please share

anyone knows hows XIII district?

not the best; but it really depends on which street etc...