Importing my car to Wales

We will be moving to Wales and would like to bring our car. It is right-hand drive, but registers in km, not miles. Will that be easy to remedy? Who do I contact to find out about customs and fees? Is it worth it, or would you recommend buy in Wales. Any information is helpful.

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Current EU rules permit you to bring your car; you will need to declare it to HMRC within 14 days of arrival and once you get that sorted (depending on the age and status of the car, you may have to pay some kind of tax), then get the car MOT safety tested, insured and taxed, you can then register it with DVLA and will be issued with a UK registration.

\the UK Gov website offers advice on the process; this link will take you there.

Unless the car is rare in the UK, you can probably get a second-hand speedometer from a car breakers yard; failing that, go to a dealer and order a new one in miles.  That said, there is nothing forcing you to change the speedometer; we drove a left-hand drive car in the UK for 3 years - just had to remember what the speed limits translate as.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thank you for the response. I thought I had read online that in order to pass inspection, the speedometer had to read in mph? Thanks for the link. I will check it out. Still trying to decide if it's worth it.

mom2josh wrote:

Thank you for the response. I thought I had read online that in order to pass inspection, the speedometer had to read in mph? Thanks for the link. I will check it out. Still trying to decide if it's worth it.

Ours didn't and we had it MOT tested 3 times while living in the UK, maybe the rules changed.  You can always ask at the local MOT testing station when you get here.

Thanks for sharing