Are expats happy there?

Hi everyone,
We might be a new expats in South Africa soon. My husband has been offered a position in Johannesburg and we don't know what to do.
We have heard about how dangerous is this city so I would like to ask to expats in Johannesburg how life is there. Is it so bad as it looks like? Which is the best neighborhood to live ? ( Sandton ?) Are expats happy there?  I would appreciate any tip you can give me about the city before make our decision.
Thank you very much!

Carmina

Hi Carmina,

We have lived in Jhb now for 17 yrs and have not been directly affected by crime. We live in a secure estate and there are many so would suggest you look into those. Like any big city in the world, there are places I wouldn't drive in at night and you would take some precautions.

You also want to live as close to work and schools as possible as traffic can be crazy. So make that commute triangle as small as possible. There are many great international schools and even public schools (depending on area) as well as top 5 African Universities.

Within 30 min drive you can also be in the countryside.

Happy to chat further if you have specific questions.

Joburg, Durban and  Cape Town are all large cities with the same pleasures and difficulties of large cities all over the world.  Whilst I was working I lived in Joburg and never once had any difficulties or concerns.  Being "Street Smart" is key no matter what large city you might find yourself.

I now live along the Garden Route (Western Cape, next to the Indian Ocean).  It is very peaceful, beautiful and only crowded during the "Festive Season".  We are very happy here.